Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    why did edexcel introduce this article? at least 60/90 is about a high B :woo:

ReputationRep:
    is there an old spec unit 5 paper for june 2009? this and the mark scheme would ne much appreciated. i have all the other available spec papers. please can someone quote be with them? much love

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where to find the mark scheme for January 2010?
    I didn't even know such a paper existed, but came across it whilst revising today...
    Any help would be great.. And do you think the progesterone stuff has to be known in any detail- because it hasn't come up in the AS or A2 syllabus so it couldn't be synoptic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdemilyxx)
    why did edexcel introduce this article? at least 60/90 is about a high B :woo:
    Well remember this is the first assessment of 6BI05; grade boundaries may be lower and don't forget in Jan 2010 for 6BI04 it was 59/90 for an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr van der WAALs)
    Well remember this is the first assessment of 6BI05; grade boundaries may be lower and don't forget in Jan 2010 for 6BI04 it was 59/90 for an A.
    gosh i hope so, i was merely going off old spec unit 5 boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    uhh sidra, dudette, dont think theres a jan 2010 paper.
    we're the first sitting!
    Only paper we have to work with is the sample assessment materials, but obv all the other papers will have parts of the syllabus within
    As for the progesterone, I doubt it, but don't hold me on it!
    I hate this article. SO MUCH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidrah)
    Does anyone know where to find the mark scheme for January 2010?
    I didn't even know such a paper existed, but came across it whilst revising today...
    Any help would be great.. And do you think the progesterone stuff has to be known in any detail- because it hasn't come up in the AS or A2 syllabus so it couldn't be synoptic...

it'll be a secure download on the edexcel website, your teacher could get it for you though?

i'd say no, just have an understanding of it.

edit: the jan 2010 paper will be old spec.

ReputationRep:
    oh btw is it specific about a habituation of a sea slug? tortoise is way easier to remember :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTGjumper)
    From reading the "stressed out" part of the article I seem to be gathering that stress causes the release of noradrenaline; this then binds to b-adrenoreceptors stimulating production of cyclic AMP, which is important in the release of neurotransmitters, including noradrenaline. Repeated stimulation causes both the number of b-adrenoreceptors to fall and makes noradrenaline less able to stimulate the production of cyclic AMP, so less neurotransmitter is produced. This is a coping mechanism for stress, but noradrenaline is still needed as a coping mechanism.
    I don't understand the bit in bold: how is it a necessary coping mechanism? and if so, why is a reduction in b-adrenoceptors (leading to less cAMP) part of coping with stress?

It seems the article says: a reduction in b-adrenos is to counteract the harmful effects of noradrenaline, then OOH but noradrenaline reduces consequences of stress by reducing b-adrenos? Which makes no sense to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    I'm going to post summaries for STRESS and Pain+Gender later on.
    Cheers matey! Loved your first summary really made sense to me.
    Ill be going through these tomorrow morning along with the bloomin' article. Fun times. :rolleyes:

Ill have to go back and search for the first one, should have copied it to word and printed. doh. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    it'll be a secure download on the edexcel website, your teacher could get it for you though?

i'd say no, just have an understanding of it.

edit: the jan 2010 paper will be old spec.
    Yeah it is old spec, but I can't find the mark scheme anywhere
    And thanks, that cuts down some prep lol..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poojatanwani7)
    I'm stuck on the article! I get everything except for the noradrenaline bit in the 'Stressed out' section, it says more noradrenaline is synthesized with repeated stress as a coping mechanism but shouldn't it be the other way around because the neurons are getting habituated? Also what exactly does noradrenaline do in the coping of stress? Thanks in advance for any help!
    I think its very ironic that the 'stressed out' section has u stressed out. Lol.
    Habituation refers to an organism learning to ignore unimportant stimuli. It is a partially concious thing. Only if the stimuli does not pose a threat to the organism will it learn to habituate..u can't habituate to gunshots no matter how often u get shot. Similarly, u wont habituate to noradrenaline because the effects it causes are potentailly harmful..effects like anxiety and fear. U dont get accustomed to fear.

It is not the neurons that really do the habituation. I sense that you are probably confusing the concepts.
    Adaptation - this is where steady stimulation causes a gradual decline in generator potentials leading to a point where it cannot induce an action potential hence no response.
    Accomodation - this is where the neurone does not respond because the rate of formation of neurotransmitter chemicals cannot keep up witht the frequency of the stimulus.
    Habituation is a learned behaviour. You learn to ignore it. In accomodation, you can poke a sea anemone repeatedly until it doesnt respond but leave it for a few minutes, poke again and it will flutter. Poke a sea slug a few times and it habituates...so if you poke it again tomorrow it doesnt respond. Habituation is a learned response closely associated with memory and may have a link to adaptation (this is not confirmed though) and leads to permanent changes in behaviour for a particular stimulus.

Noradrenaline---well they aren't exactly sure. But evidence suggests that it is part of the mechanism which helps you to cope with stress. Heres how ti goes:
    - You get stressed ( lets sa u failed ur Math exam)
    - Your neurones spew noradrenaline
    - Noradreanline has 2main receptors on the post-synaptic membrane; a-adrenceptors and b-adrenoceptos.
    - Increased noradrenaline binds to b-adrenoceptos causing the cell to produce more cyclic AMP (adenosine monophosphate) which is partially responsible for the synthesis and release of neurotransmitters.
    -With repeated stress, noradrenaline is less able to stimulate cells to produce cyclic AMP.
    - This is because the b-adrenoceptors have become less sensitive to noradrenaline and because their numbers have also decreased.

In addition, if u take noradrenaline out of the brain, anti-depressant medication doesnt work as it simply cannot reduce the number of adrenoceptors...and even without noradrenaline, animals are still vulnerable to stress. So it seems that noradrenaline forms part of the physiological response designed to overcome stress. Note well too that not only noradrenaline affects the number and activity of b-adrenoceptors. Glucocorticoids may also be involved too.

Hope u do well in ur exams! Keep working!:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is old spec, but I can't find the mark scheme anywhere
    And thanks, that cuts down some prep lol..

if it's the salters-nuffield one it's on there: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce...s/default.aspx

but as a secure download

ReputationRep:
    wheres the actual jan 10 paper? id like to practise even if theres no ms...

ReputationRep:
    Hi

In the 1st article when the scientists are engineering the flies and worms so they make the protein, are they inserting the gene into the desired neurones or muscle cells in the worms case or are they inserting the gene into a fertilised egg of each species? Or does it not matter?

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    if it's the salters-nuffield one it's on there: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce...s/default.aspx

but as a secure download
    Ah damn.. Well I guess I may as well just be glad I got to practise...

(Original post by jimber)
    wheres the actual jan 10 paper? id like to practise even if theres no ms...
    I'm not sure if it's online because my teacher gave it to me, and I just randomly found it today. Its from the old specification though, but obviously relevant.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if it's online because my teacher gave it to me, and I just randomly found it today. Its from the old specification though, but obviously relevant.
    Ah i see! well thanks anyway the posters have been realllly useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abu3005)
    Hi

In the 1st article when the scientists are engineering the flies and worms so they make the protein, are they inserting the gene into the desired neurones or muscle cells in the worms case or are they inserting the gene into a fertilised egg of each species? Or does it not matter?

Thank You
    All you have to know is that they are using genetic engineering techniques (look these up from Topic 2 from AS) to do it. And they are changing the DNA of the fly or worm, which in turn creates more of the gene that they want like the ChR2 gene that causes excitation in blue light..
    Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimber)
    Ah i see! well thanks anyway the posters have been realllly useful
    Yeah, making them was probably the most effective bit of revision I did lol.. Glad they've been useful

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, making them was probably the most effective bit of revision I did lol.. Glad they've been useful
    please could you post a link to the jan 10 paper ?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.