ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just. Say. Yes.)
    Gene therapy was actually also mentioned in the article for PD. :yes:
    my bad...oh well aslong as I get a C i'm all good

ReputationRep:
    i hate edexcel. I want them to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
    Who thinks the grade boundaries will be really low ?
    I really bloomin' hope they are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koop)
    I'm thinking now that we could talk about other treatments outside the article so drugs...damn...I only talked about DBS as that was the only one the article specified was used in parkinsons
    Whats DBS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soda__Dreamer)
    Whats DBS?
    Deep Brain Stimulation

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Biolog...30612700303565
    join this group !!!

ReputationRep:
    don't really think the paper was so bad to be making a fb group about it

ReputationRep:
    Can we change the name of the fb group whoever started it. At the moment its 'biology exam 2010 complete disaster' or something; theres loads of biology exams and we need a more snappy group title; so can we not have some thing like 'Edexcel SNAB Biology June 2010 - complete fiasco' or something like that. Then under description can we not have statements like; 'incorrect referencing', 'insufficient time' etc. It would make it better i think; opinions?

ReputationRep:
    To clear something up:

cocontraction
    [kō′kəntrak′shən]
    the simultaneous contraction of agonist and antagonist muscles around a joint to hold a position.

You had to tick BOTH boxes to say that both were contracted to keep the weight in place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    To clear something up:

cocontraction
    [kō′kəntrak′shən]
    the simultaneous contraction of agonist and antagonist muscles around a joint to hold a position.

You had to tick BOTH boxes to say that both were contracted to keep the weight in place
    what are you talking about????? it didnt say anything on cocontraction?

ReputationRep:
    didn't it say which one contracts to lift the weight towards the chest and which contracts to bringing it down?

ReputationRep:
    To clear something up:

cocontraction
    [kō′kəntrak′shən]

:lolwut: Come again? I thought only the biceps contract and the other relaxes.

ReputationRep:
    No, it asked for which contracts to keep the weight in place and which contracts to lift it up.

BOTH are contracted to keep it in place.

Flexor is contracted to lift weight up.

I think people just dived into this question without even thinking lol. How can only one muscle contract to KEEP something in position? As far as I learned, when one muscle in a pair contract, it's to MOVE the joint.

Also, the question didn't ask about coconraction but I'm just telling you guys that the concept does exist =\

Try holding something heavy in place using your arm. Feel for your biceps and triceps and tell me if only one is contracted

ReputationRep:
    We Have Been Pawned

ReputationRep:
    No, it asked for which contracts to keep the weight in place and which contracts to lift it up.

I think people just dived into this question without even thinking lol. How can only one muscle contract to KEEP something in position? As far as I learned, when one muscle in a pair contract, it's to MOVE the joint.

Also, the question didn't ask about coconraction but I'm just telling you guys that the concept does exist =\

Try holding something heavy in place using your arm. Feel for your biceps and triceps and tell me if only one is contracted
    total rubbish! 1)nothing like this is mentioned on the spec, and 2) i have done A2 Pe and have never heard of cocontraction either...so it's very doubtful that it's mentioned in A2 biology...plus i read the book and haven't seen it mentioned.
    as im sure you're aware, muscles work antagonistically, one relaxes, one contracts to but it in laymans terms...and the question was asking which muscle relaxes and which relaxes during a specific movement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    But you did learn that if either muscle contracts the joint will MOVE

That's all I have to say.

So what exactly is the correct answer for 'Which muscle contracts to keep the mass in place?'. And please explain this answer

ReputationRep:
    But you did learn that if either muscle contracts the joint will MOVE

That's all I have to say.

So what exactly is the correct answer for 'Which muscle contracts to keep the mass in place?'. And please explain this answer
    Definitely both.

Maybe the spec didn't say precisely, but using biological knowledge of antagonistic pairs you should know that if one muscle is contracted and one relaxed, the joint moves.
    To keep the arm stationary you need equal forces in both directions. It required simple spec knowledge and some common sense.

Im more worried about the ridiculous article section and the ectopic beat.

ReputationRep:

I ticked the box for both of them contracting.. I had a bottle of water in my exam and lifted it up just to make sure! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Me too. I lifted my water up

ReputationRep:
    My arm is so pro, that my bicep muscle contracts just enough to be countered by the weight of the object... my tricep doesn't do jack ****.

Is this not simple mechanics? The weight acts downwards, my bicep contracts producing an equal push upwards = no net force = no acceleration, i.e the object stays in place.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 30, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.