Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    it's as simple as this. during flexion at the elbow, biceps brachii contract, triceps brachii relax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    But you did learn that if either muscle contracts the joint will MOVE

That's all I have to say.

So what exactly is the correct answer for 'Which muscle contracts to keep the mass in place?'. And please explain this answer
    Put ur arm under the wheel of a truck. Contract. Tell me does your joint move?

No. coz there is a ******* truck on top of it.

Same principal applies with holding something.

ReputationRep:
    Well that exam was pretty anti-climactic... Wasted so much time revising.. hardly needed any revision..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da_hopeful_1)
    Who's worried about not meeting their offers because of this paper then ?
    Me :'(

ReputationRep:
    Im such a fag. I even lifted my water up. Twice.
    Had both ticked. Then crossed it out.
    Gut instinct never lies, shoulda stuck with it.

ReputationRep:
    I sat this for "fun" on Friday :P I didn't know the material until the day before since it wasn't part of a uni offer or anything, but even still I found it quite hard. I finished the paper in around 60 minutes, and I managed to write a lot for most of them but my lack of preparation let me down. I don't know what UMS I would need for an A due to not knowing my coursework result, but I needed 126 out of 180 (CWK + Unit 5) to get 480 overall, so hopefully my boundaries will be generous.. I had quite a lot of mind blanks but I got a few good points for each answer so hopefully I won't do too badly. However, I have no idea what bradykinin or whatever that was! I thought of skim-reading for ages to find it but then just took a 100% guess and said "makes the membrane of the synapse permeable", just to write anything that was even vaguely biological :P

How are the grade boundaries usually for this? Also I didn't realise it was synoptic until the question on enzyme synthesis came up - bad times!

ReputationRep:
    Meh, now that I think about it the mass/weight could be providing an opposing force to keep the joint in place. Both seem quite plausible to me though.

We'll just have to wait until the markscheme comes out

ReputationRep:
    Surely by ticking both boxes, you are saying that to lift something you are contracting both your flexor and extensor muscles. I'm sure the question asked which type of muscle is contracting, So if both were contracting the joint wouldn't stay in place....no?

ReputationRep:
    totally rubbishhh :|
    i studied my ass for this..and i felt like i didnt know anything when i jammed at question7!!!!!!!!!!
    aaaaah....crazyy foooools..what are they playing at??!!
    that was the worst paper ever..!!!!!
    and all that krebs cycle..and electro transport chain..damn..rhodopsin..eye..phy tochromes..brain...omggg...they could have brought any of that..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nearing Insanity)
    totally rubbishhh :|
    i studied my ass for this..and i felt like i didnt know anything when i jammed at question7!!!!!!!!!!
    aaaaah....crazyy foooools..what are they playing at??!!
    that was the worst paper ever..!!!!!
    and all that krebs cycle..and electro transport chain..damn..rhodopsin..eye..phy tochromes..brain...omggg...they could have brought any of that..
    Its always biology exams these last 2 years i come out thinking there so much they didn't bother asking but at least thats the end of biology:yes:

ReputationRep:
    that's life, you can't test everything in a exam in the time that they have.

ReputationRep:
    I found the word Bradykikin in the artical with one minute to go.. just scribbled down something to do with inflammation and something.. it's all kind of hazy..

ReputationRep:
    anyone got an unoffical MS YET

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HyperNova)
    I found the word Bradykikin in the artical with one minute to go.. just scribbled down something to do with inflammation and something.. it's all kind of hazy..
    Indeed so did I, epic scan-reading ftw.

I really don't think the exam warrants a raging group on facebook, it seems any exam someone isn't pleased with gets a facebook group made about it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    heya, could anyone please post the biology paper and mark scheme??

ReputationRep:
    I remember people doing an FB group for 6BI04 in January as well... can someone say POINTLESS?

ReputationRep:
    ahh i know i've done really badly in this exam i panicked loads and ended up missing out some questions... :/ i don't even think i got a C in that paper tbh. i got an A last year but i know i won't be getting that now

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think it was too bad. a few worries though:
    - The question asked how bradykinin acts as an inflammatory mediator. Everyone I've asked said they just explained the inflammatory response, but surely mediate means calming it down? I wrote that bradykinins could prevent the release of histamine, lessening the inflammatory response (which I then went on to outline). Was I right? :/
    - Why was the respirometer experiement repeated with nitrogen?!!!
    I didn't get to answer ectopic right. I put irregular heart beat, low heart rate. Cause: damage to AVN, SAN or collagen tissue. I was thinking about hyperpolarisation but meh.
    I said that the ventricles were hyperpolarised (assumed because the graph went DOWN, then the heart missed a beat because they were too hyperpolarised to be brought back up to depolarised state). And then that's why the pressure was lower in the pulmonary artery(vein?! can't remember) - because the blood wasn't being pushed up. Then I said about the effect of this on cardiac output etc. Was I wrong to write about hyperpolarisation?
    - Where the hell was the wrong page reference in the article? I didn't notice at all so must've written about the wrong thing
    - Oh and to those freaking out about the Parkinson's treatments, drug therapy WAS mentioned in the article (just a small mention in a sentence) however I'm sure this counted as a treatment mentioned. I also wrote about DBS, ECT and gene therapy in the STN (which had already been carried out, unlike the light therapy which you may not get marks for mentioning here)
    - What did you guys write for the one which asked for a study where scientific opinion was divided? This confused me, as I thought scientific opinion was divided (on the role of noradrenaline in stress) DUE to the fact that there is MORE than one study, each with conflicting results. It asked for ONE study as far as I remember?

ReputationRep:
    I remember people doing an FB group for 6BI04 in January as well... can someone say POINTLESS?
    jan 6BIO4 had a much better arguement for being a bad paper as well.

ReputationRep:
    For the divided scientific opinion thingy, I put something like this:

"A study showed that rats who were given a drug that destroyed neurones that use noradrenaline as neurotransmitters were still vulnerable to stress. This suggests that noradrenaline is needed for coping with stress."- gah, this sounds very vague when I read it now.

Bradykinin causes vasodilation so wouldn't it promote the inflammatory response?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.