Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would make an unofficial markscheme for this like I did for 6BI04 but I'll die of disappointment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X-KiwiTheIncapable- X)
    Bradykinin causes vasodilation so wouldn't it promote the inflammatory response?
    Really? Does it say that in the article? It just says oestrogen quenches the production of the 'inmlammatory mediator' bradykinin as far as I know, and the question asked how bradykinin might work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _joshb_)
    Really? Does it say that in the article? It just says oestrogen quenches the production of the 'inmlammatory mediator' bradykinin as far as I know, and the question asked how bradykinin might work?
    :dontknow: What does "mediator" mean?

I've just googled bradykinin and on http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Bradykinin it says it causes pain. So could it be that oestrogen increases the levels of bradykinin, therefore increasing inflammation, resulting in more pain?

ReputationRep:
    "Quenches" means suppresses.

ReputationRep:
    paper/mark scheme anyone ....

ReputationRep:
    :no: OMG, f*** bradykinin and this exam! Hopefully I manage at least a D then I will get a C overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X-KiwiTheIncapable- X)
    :dontknow: What does "mediator" mean?

I've just googled bradykinin and on http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Bradykinin it says it causes pain. So could it be that oestrogen increases the levels of bradykinin, therefore increasing inflammation, resulting in more pain?
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    "Quenches" means suppresses.
    But I thought the article was saying women feel more pain because their oestrogen quenches (supresses) the production of bradykinin. Which would mean Bradykinin is a pain PREVENTOR. No?
    As far as I know, mediate means to calm something down, so my line of thinking was that Bradykinin calms down the inflammatory response ('inflammatory mediator'). Hence I suggested it could prevent the release of histamine, thus reducing the inflammatory response.

Does anyone know why was the respirometer experiement repeated with nitrogen?!!!

ReputationRep:
    They didn't ask why is was repeated with N2. They asked why the volume didn't change. The seeds respired anaerobically to produce extra CO2 but did not take in 02. We can then see that the volume of gas in the tube should increase and move the liquid. But soda lime absorbs the extra C02. So no movement of liquid.

ReputationRep:
    They didn't ask why is was repeated with N2. They asked why the volume didn't change. The seeds respired anaerobically to produce extra CO2 but did not take in 02. We can then see that the volume of gas in the tube should increase and move the liquid. But soda lime absorbs the extra C02. So no movement of liquid.
    :stomp:

Do you mean the seeds respired anaerobically because they were surrounded in nitrogen?
    Argh i'm a right idiot, how many marks was that?
    I just said that they would absorb the same amount of gas as they released, hence no movement. or something like that

ReputationRep:
    I remember people doing an FB group for 6BI04 in January as well... can someone say POINTLESS?
    but 6BI04 in Jan was easy! haha

ReputationRep:
    according to my teacher: oestrogen quenches bradykin which means women feel more pain and are more alert/aware of pain. This is useful because if women are more alert to pain, when they are pregnant etc they will be more likely to seek medical attention at the smallest instance of pain rather than leave it assuming it will pass (which can obviously be dangerous).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _joshb_)
    :stomp:

Do you mean the seeds respired anaerobically because they were surrounded in nitrogen?

Argh i'm a right idiot, how many marks was that?
    I just said that they would absorb the same amount of gas as they released, hence no movement. or something like that
    Sort of, but more because there was no Oxygen for aerobic respiration to take place

ReputationRep:
    any one got the paper?

ReputationRep:
    It's so depressing reading everyone's logical answers. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tjacobs)
    according to my teacher: oestrogen quenches bradykin which means women feel more pain and are more alert/aware of pain. This is useful because if women are more alert to pain, when they are pregnant etc they will be more likely to seek medical attention at the smallest instance of pain rather than leave it assuming it will pass (which can obviously be dangerous).
    nice story, but has nothing to do with the bradykin question that was in the paper, i thought it was all about what happens to the tissue as a consequence of it?

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to see an official markscheme for this paper.

ReputationRep:
    what were those question w/ action potential split in2 3 questions?
    For bradykinin, i juz put it protects and repairs tissue !

ReputationRep:
    could anyone just download the mark scheme?? or even the paper ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    total rubbish! 1)nothing like this is mentioned on the spec, and 2) i have done A2 Pe and have never heard of cocontraction either...so it's very doubtful that it's mentioned in A2 biology...plus i read the book and haven't seen it mentioned.
    as im sure you're aware, muscles work antagonistically, one relaxes, one contracts to but it in laymans terms...and the question was asking which muscle relaxes and which relaxes during a specific movement.
    total rubbish!

dude.. you have done A2 PE,
    you must be aware during an isometric contraction both antagonistic muscles contract, the only reason i can think an A level PE student (or GCSE student for that matter) would get confused here is because doughboy used "coconcentric", which to me, and by the sound of things you also, is an unfamiliar term.

chill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    total rubbish!

dude.. you have done A2 PE,
    you must be aware during an isometric contraction both antagonistic muscles contract, the only reason i can think an A level PE student (or GCSE student for that matter) would get confused here is because doughboy used "coconcentric", which to me, and by the sound of things you also, is an unfamiliar term.

chill.
    im chilled out. I got A in A2 PE for the record.
    Got the mark scheme?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.