Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can some one plz explain to me/provide me the answer to this Q, im really not sure

Very bright light can damage the light-sensitive receptors in the retina. Describe the mechanisms involved in ensuring that damage does not occur to these receptors in bright light.

3 mark Q btw xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blush.ox)
    Can some one plz explain to me/provide me the answer to this Q, im really not sure

Very bright light can damage the light-sensitive receptors in the retina. Describe the mechanisms involved in ensuring that damage does not occur to these receptors in bright light.

3 mark Q btw xD
    When the eye is exposed to bright light, the circular muscle contracts and the radial muscles are relaxes so the pupil is reduced to a narrow aperture letting in little light.

(this is on pg 218 of the green ann fullick book)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idiotone)
    Lets all post some notes on some chapters we have covered..that way we would have covered almost every chapters on the book
    That sounds like a good idea. I've only made typed up notes on respiration so far. I'm currently working on notes for the eye and brain.

Respiration notes attached
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Respiration - oki notes.pdf (308.5 KB, 338 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkoki1993)
    When the eye is exposed to bright light, the circular muscle contracts and the radial muscles are relaxes so the pupil is reduced to a narrow aperture letting in little light.

(this is on pg 218 of the green ann fullick book)
    thankyou

i dont use that book :ninja: i should start to xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheChief)
    Hi Everyone,

Really great thread here. Im hoping someone can just explain to me what Unit 5 is all about - ie the format! Im doing Edexcel Biology as a distant student, and to be honest the college don't want to know once they have your money! - It seems any question I ask them the tutor says that's not her job! (Oxford College by the way!).

Anyways, I get that there is an article, which I have read through. Im just wandering where this fits into the exam? Is it an exam based solely on this article, or is this just part of the exam? Also, what kind of stuff can they ask, and how does this relate to the article?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can make this a little clearer for me!
    > The article accompanies the Unit 5 question paper.
    > The last question of the paper - normally worth quite a few marks - is based on the article
    > You will need to familiarise yourself with where each topic is in the article
    > I would not say you have to know EVERYTHING in the article, because they won't test you on it
    > They ask questions and want you to refer to the article to back your answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkoki1993)
    That sounds like a good idea. I've only made typed up notes on respiration so far. I'm currently working on notes for the eye and brain.

Respiration notes attached

I have made some notes on heart activity..will post the rest after i complete it.
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: docx Electrical Activity in the Heart.docx (12.9 KB, 274 views)

ReputationRep:
    I found a thread the other day with sample questions. But I havent downloaded it. Who could upload more sample questions??=)

ReputationRep:
    oh ya, by the way, the thread was removed. i think today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idiotone)
    I have made some notes on heart activity..will post the rest after i complete it.
    Do you have notes on AS core practicals?

ReputationRep:
    so how do u guyz prepare for unit 5?? i am simply making notes, then reading over them again and again and understanding them at the same time, reading the article, and wut else r u guyz doing?? any help would be much apprciated....thnx btw....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M Kh)
    so how do u guyz prepare for unit 5?? i am simply making notes, then reading over them again and again and understanding them at the same time, reading the article, and wut else r u guyz doing?? any help would be much apprciated....thnx btw....
    Basically what you are doing and past papers. It worked at AS, so hopefully it will work at A2.

ReputationRep:
    ohh yes i forgot to mention past papers - it is the main thing....and wut elz? i mean how often do u guyz read the article?.....hmmm.... have u guyz got any sample qns for the article?....which textbook do u guyz read - the green one or the orange SNAB?? i think we have to use the green one right??.....have u guyz got the revision guide as well??.... do u guyz also solve the questions in the textbook and the revision guide along with the past papers? and of which year's past papers do u guyz solve - only the new specification ones which are - the specimen paper, Jun 2010 and Jan 2011?? do u guyz solve only these?

ReputationRep:
    is there a thread like this for Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 6b (6BI08) which is going to be held on the 25th of May?? if there is one, plz let me know? if there is not, how many people over here are sitting for this paper? i want to know this so that i can make a thread like this for unit 6b and we all can discuss the possible qns that we maybe tested on and share resources....and so that i am not the only person who will be posting on that thread!....what do u think?? if anyone over here is sitting for this paper plz let me know...many thnx to all....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M Kh)
    ohh yes i forgot to mention past papers - it is the main thing....and wut elz? i mean how often do u guyz read the article?.....hmmm.... have u guyz got any sample qns for the article?....which textbook do u guyz read - the green one or the orange SNAB?? i think we have to use the green one right??.....have u guyz got the revision guide as well??.... do u guyz also solve the questions in the textbook and the revision guide along with the past papers? and of which year's past papers do u guyz solve - only the new specification ones which are - the specimen paper, Jun 2010 and Jan 2011?? do u guyz solve only these?
    you forgot that you also need to CHILL OUT... plan your revision wisely, get plenty of sleep and by this stage you should be well into your revision....

the article is good this time because the questions can be predicted (better than the other articles i think)... make sure you understand the article

ReputationRep:
    ohhk thnx a lotzz....cud u plz answer my above qns?? and thnx a lotz again dear

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got the January 2011 QP and MS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jsmalley1)
    has anyone got the January 2011 QP and MS?
    Attached
    Attached Images
  3. File Type: pdf bio unit 5 jan 11 paper.pdf (183.6 KB, 440 views)
  4. File Type: pdf BIO UNIT 5 - JAN 11 MS.pdf (132.9 KB, 385 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?)
    Attached

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?)
    Attached
    Thanks

How is everybody's revision going so far? Topic 8 is literally the bane of my life at this point!

ReputationRep:
    hey sorry this has nothing to do with revision but what is edexcel biology like? im really worried about biology a-level because everyone keeps saying how boring it is but i really love gcse biology but i am considering changing it after what everyone has been saying
    pleassse pleease let me know asap xx

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.