Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aerialbuzz)
    hey sorry this has nothing to do with revision but what is edexcel biology like? im really worried about biology a-level because everyone keeps saying how boring it is but i really love gcse biology but i am considering changing it after what everyone has been saying
    pleassse pleease let me know asap xx
    i love it

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, heres some questions to sink your teeth into! Theres quite alot so im guessing if you start these now and then towards the exam do the 3 pastpapers that are available, it should be a good combination!

i got some for 6BI04 and 6BI02

http://www.mediafire.com/?mhuznkz3njt

ReputationRep:
    thnx!!

ReputationRep:
    where did u get these from?? did ur teacher provide u with these or did u make these up by ur self? thnx again! have answers for these btw?

ReputationRep:
    Can we discuss the core practicals and write notes for all of them??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M Kh)
    where did u get these from?? did ur teacher provide u with these or did u make these up by ur self? thnx again! have answers for these btw?
    it comes with the answers bro!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medtobe)
    Can we discuss the core practicals and write notes for all of them??
    the only practicles im aware of is the snail one to measure the level of habituation. are there more than this for this unit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by touran22)
    hey guys, heres some questions to sink your teeth into! Theres quite alot so im guessing if you start these now and then towards the exam do the 3 pastpapers that are available, it should be a good combination!

I can't open it It's in a .rar format?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phenylethylamine_)
    I can't open it It's in a .rar format?
    download winrar, its free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkoki1993)
    download winrar, its free
    Thanks, I downloaded winzip earlier, it didn't work, but this software works

ReputationRep:
    ohh thnx i didn't know the answers r already there because i didn't have time to check it out....so u guyz having trouble with the core pracs?? u can check the core pracs in the specification...having u checked the specification?? do u or did u study in a school? ur school must have taught u the core pracs.....they r the bold specification points....and ys m not "bro" u can call me "sis".....anywayz u guyz have anything else to share like sample qns for the article? ur schools must have provided u with sample qns...so if u have any plz do share and good luck all!

ReputationRep:

Hey man, do you have a similar resource for Unit 4?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone clear this up for me? It's on heart rate control.

Okay so to increase heart rate, more impulses get sent to the part increasing heart rate in the medulla oblongata which sends impulses to the SAN via sympathetic.
    And to lower the heart rate afterwards the medulla oblongata sends impulses to the SAN via parasympathetic.

But i was just wondering, if the receptor sent less impulses to the medulla oblongata (e.g. after exercise) wouldn't there be less impulses down the sympathetic, making the heart rate go down anyways? Or does the sympathetic stop triggering at a fast rate when you stimulate the parasympathetic?
    kinda confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atofu)
    Can someone clear this up for me? It's on heart rate control.

Okay so to increase heart rate, more impulses get sent to the part increasing heart rate in the medulla oblongata which sends impulses to the SAN via sympathetic.
    And to lower the heart rate afterwards the medulla oblongata sends impulses to the SAN via parasympathetic.

But i was just wondering, if the receptor sent less impulses to the medulla oblongata (e.g. after exercise) wouldn't there be less impulses down the sympathetic, making the heart rate go down anyways? Or does the sympathetic stop triggering at a fast rate when you stimulate the parasympathetic?
    kinda confused
    I think I understand what you're confused about. Chemoreceptors send impulses to the medulla oblongata (the coordinator here) which sends impulses down a sympathetic nerve or a vagus/parasympathetic nerve.
    So, depending on whether the heart rate needs to slow down or increase, the impulse will be sent down the corresponding nerve of the autonomic nervous system [i.e. sympathetic/vagus or parasympathetic] and will either stimulate the SAN to increase the heart rate or impulses are sent to slow down the heart rate.

The frequency of impulses i.e. less impulses or more depends on how strong a stimulus is, otherwise all that happens:
    receptor --->sensory neurone sends impulse to medulla oblongata -->medulla oblongata processes --> sends down the sympathetic motor neurone or parasympathetic motor neurone which has an effect on the effector i.e. the cardiac muscle via the SAN

I think the sympathetic and parasympathetic are like motor neurones because it depends on which one is stimulated i.e. impulses sent down that has an affect on the effector which is the cardiac muscle i.e. via SAN which increases/decreases heart rate

Hope that makes sense!
    If anything is wrong, feel free to correct me!

EDIT: Just to summarise, it's not about the frequency of impulses i.e. less or more, it depends on which one sympathetic/parasympathetic is stimulated i.e. sent impulses down from the medulla oblongata to the SAN

ReputationRep:
    I think I understand what you're confused about. Chemoreceptors send impulses to the medulla oblongata (the coordinator here) which sends impulses down a sympathetic nerve or a vagus/parasympathetic nerve.
    So, depending on whether the heart rate needs to slow down or increase, the impulse will be sent down the corresponding nerve of the autonomic nervous system [i.e. sympathetic/vagus or parasympathetic] and will either stimulate the SAN to increase the heart rate or impulses are sent to slow down the heart rate.

The frequency of impulses i.e. less impulses or more depends on how strong a stimulus is, otherwise all that happens:
    receptor --->sensory neurone sends impulse to medulla oblongata -->medulla oblongata processes --> sends down the sympathetic motor neurone or parasympathetic motor neurone which has an effect on the effector i.e. the cardiac muscle via the SAN

I think the sympathetic and parasympathetic are like motor neurones because it depends on which one is stimulated i.e. impulses sent down that has an affect on the effector which is the cardiac muscle i.e. via SAN which increases/decreases heart rate

Hope that makes sense!
    If anything is wrong, feel free to correct me!

EDIT: Just to summarise, it's not about the frequency of impulses i.e. less or more, it depends on which one sympathetic/parasympathetic is stimulated i.e. sent impulses down from the medulla oblongata to the SAN

the frequency coding that is inherent to the nervous system is very important. the greater the stimulus, the greater the frequency and the greater the change... but in the context of your answer, you are right... because if you want to + HR it is via the sympathetic and if you wanna - HR it is via the parasympathetic

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thanks! I get it now

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that there is only one unit 5 past paper, is that true? The one I've got is paper reference 6BI05/1. Are there any others? And does anyone know where I can find practice past questions on the article?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aerialbuzz)
    hey sorry this has nothing to do with revision but what is edexcel biology like? im really worried about biology a-level because everyone keeps saying how boring it is but i really love gcse biology but i am considering changing it after what everyone has been saying
    pleassse pleease let me know asap xx
    I love biology as a subject, but personally I wouldn't do edexcel for A level - they are known for being one of the hardest exam boards. I'd definitely recommend doing a level biology and it gives you loads of options for after a level but try doing it on an exam board like OCR, which is meant to be the easiest. My friend does OCR and for her coursework they just have to do an ISA and then they have the exam... no synoptic exam and no article to read and the questions are on what she has learnt, whereas with edexcel they really like you to apply your knowledge to unfamiliar questions about things you haven't specifically studied. So yeah! I think if you really love biology then definitely do it at A level! I love the subject and it's really interesting, I do find it really hard at times and I got all A's in biology, chemistry, physics at GCSE but at A level im now averaging a C. I find it difficult because I understand everything from the textbook and I learn it basically off by heart but the questions are very synoptic which is what lets me down!

hope this helps at all lol

ReputationRep:

could I have the unit 4 ones too? As in 6BIO4?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering if someone could clear this up for me (and stop my crazy stressing). But during the holidays we went over the prerelease a little (working out all the topics it covers etc.) and our teacher gave us some past papers and the first half is on the prerelease and the second half is an essay with the choice of two questions to answer. They were from 2008, so is this the old syllabus? Is the structure of unit 5 the same as the others we've had but just a section about the pre release too?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.