Turn on thread page Beta

Solo travel to south east Asia watch

ReputationRep:
    How realistic is this?

I have a bit of spare money, and I have already booked time off work in August, so I thought I would treat myself to some adventure in a part of the world I have always been intruiged by. I would be 'ridin solo' as Jason Derulo would say.

Because of the money I have available to me (just savings really) I do not plan to backpack on a shoestring. I will probably be staying at 5star hotels in each city I visit.

I have been trawling through airline websites to find flights and I have discovered that booking multicity/stopovers are generally cheaper than a simple 'return fare'.

My itinery was something like this (but nothing booked yet):

London - Singapore (4 nights in Singapore)
    Singapore - Jakarta (2 nights)
    Jakarta - Kuala Lumpur (3 nights)
    Kuala Lumpur - Manila (2 nights)
    Manila - Taipei (2 nights)
    Taipei - Hong Kong (3 nights)
    Hong Kong - Bangkok (2 nights)
    Bangkok - Singapore - London (same day)

I think that makes 18 nights in all (including 2 nights lost on a plane there and back from London).

Am I just going a bit OTT? I mean, in places like Jakarta I don't even know what I would do for 2 days tbh. But I just want to know that I have been there. Armed with a digital camera and a handicam, I will have mementos of my journey forever.

Just some opinions please.

(P.S. I'm not jus going for the sake of it - I have exciting things to do in most of those cities, that's why I am staying for the longest in Singapore despite it being the most expensive city in my tour).

ReputationRep:
    I think it'l be a bit rushed, you probably won't know where you are most of the time. A lot of your time will be spent checking in & getting to the airport as well. You're seeing more in SEA than further north, how come you aren't going to Beijing for instance?

I would think about where you really want to go and just do these places.

For a trip like this I would of thought some airline pass would be best. Perhaps budget airlines will be slightly cheaper (I don't know without a lot of research) but since money isn't that important to you it's probably not worth the hassle.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I think it'd be that adventurous if you're just flying from city to city and not seeing any of your countries. I know you have more money to hand but I doubt you'll get as much of an experience flying from Hong Kong to Bangkok for example than doing it overland.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say that of all the places in South-east Asia, you've picked pretty much everywhere I'd avoid. Or at least places that are necessary to get through on the way to somewhere much nicer.

Jakarta? Manila? Really not the nicest. If I were in Indonesia I'd spend a while exploring the islands at least. Same with the Philippines. Jakarta's pretty grim, and I'm not sure it's worth flying to from Singapore only to backtrack and then head up to Kuala Lumpur.

Air Asia fly from Kuala Lumpur to Siem Reap (Angkor). Some nice hotels in that town, and Angkor is worth seeing.

Why not fly to London from Bangkok, or even Hong Kong? Nearly always cheaper than Singapore.

ReputationRep:
    4 days in singapore?! i suggest 3 days max and another extra day for taipei or bangkok maybe

ReputationRep:
    ^ I agree with that guy, Singapore isn't the biggest place on earth... Not that great really.

There's a lot to see and do. One thing is though, you'll stick out like a sore thumb unless you can actually dress, talk and walk like the natives...

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: You can do all of Singapore in less than two days - it takes 40 minutes to travel from one end of the country to another. Spend more time on the islands, the beaches are awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happy-pink-gecko)
    4 days in singapore?! i suggest 3 days max and another extra day for taipei or bangkok maybe
    To be honest, my main concern with Bangkok is that there is nothing for a solo traveller to do. I would probably be staying at the Shangri-La Bangkok for a couple of nights, and would like to take in the hectic city, maybe visit a zoo and have a trip down the Chao Pryong (sp?) river. But what else is there?

In Singapore, I have the following:

Singapore Zoo, River Safari, Night Safari, Universal Studios Singapore, Sentosa Island, Jurong Birdpark, Marina Bay, Orchard Road Shopping, Singapore River, Changi Airport, and the colonial districts if I was desperate (Chinatown, Little India).

So 4 days is perfect for me I think. Trouble with Singapore is that it is the 2nd most expensive city I have researched (behind only Shanghai ), and 4 nights at the Marina Bay Sands hotel will set me back over £900. :rolleyes: I could find cheaper accommodation, but that's not really the point of my adventure, to be honest. I want Marina Bay Sands because of the infinity pool and the SkyPark.

http://www.marinabaysands.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jez RR)
    I have to say that of all the places in South-east Asia, you've picked pretty much everywhere I'd avoid. Or at least places that are necessary to get through on the way to somewhere much nicer.

Jakarta? Manila? Really not the nicest. If I were in Indonesia I'd spend a while exploring the islands at least. Same with the Philippines. Jakarta's pretty grim, and I'm not sure it's worth flying to from Singapore only to backtrack and then head up to Kuala Lumpur.

Air Asia fly from Kuala Lumpur to Siem Reap (Angkor). Some nice hotels in that town, and Angkor is worth seeing.

Why not fly to London from Bangkok, or even Hong Kong? Nearly always cheaper than Singapore.
    The reason I must fly from London to Singapore is because I want to travel on Singapore Airlines A380 doubledecker superjumbo plane (best airline in the world IMO, and certainly the best plane), but I do actually agree with you regarding Jakarta. I have heard nothing but bad things about it, to be honest. And to a lesser extent Manila. They are both sprawling, polluted urban metropolises. But it would be an experience to have been there I guess.

Still, Jakarta is very much 'out of the way' considering most of the other places I want to visit. Manila does have some redeeming qualities, such as Fort Santiago, Pagsanjan Falls, and Ocean Park, as well as Manila Bay itself. But Jakarta seems to be twice as populated as London but WITHOUT the tourist attractions. :eek: (apart from the majestic Kenbung Binatang Ragunan safari).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    To be honest, my main concern with Bangkok is that there is nothing for a solo traveller to do. I would probably be staying at the Shangri-La Bangkok for a couple of nights, and would like to take in the hectic city, maybe visit a zoo and have a trip down the Chao Pryong (sp?) river. But what else is there?

In Singapore, I have the following:

Singapore Zoo, River Safari, Night Safari, Universal Studios Singapore, Sentosa Island, Jurong Birdpark, Marina Bay, Orchard Road Shopping, Singapore River, Changi Airport, and the colonial districts if I was desperate (Chinatown, Little India).

So 4 days is perfect for me I think. Trouble with Singapore is that it is the 2nd most expensive city I have researched (behind only Shanghai ), and 4 nights at the Marina Bay Sands hotel will set me back over £900. :rolleyes: I could find cheaper accommodation, but that's not really the point of my adventure, to be honest. I want Marina Bay Sands because of the infinity pool and the SkyPark.

http://www.marinabaysands.com/
    Yeah, Singapore's not the cheapest! I'm from Singapore btw I do like little india and the bugis to raffles city area. The Universal Studios here is a bit small though. And Sentosa as well as Resorts World Sentosa are rather fakey touristy.

Maybe instead of visiting only large cities, you could visit some beachside towns? Climb a mountain? There are plenty of luxurious beach resorts in Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia

ReputationRep:
    That's extremely rushed. Maybe you could make it a little longer (and cheaper) by travelling to and from a few of the countries by boat or bus or train as opposed to a flight. It'd be more fun as well, flights can get tedious after a while and considering you're planning to spend a few days in each place I'm not sure you'll see that much other than the airport! If it's really a 'travel' and not a 'holiday' then I would have thought you'd need a bit longer in each place.. there's more to the country than the main city. I would say cut out one or two places that aren't as high up in your priority list, and then spend a few nights longer in the more important places that you wish to visit..

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.