Turn on thread page Beta

spermicide/ the pill and antibiotics!! watch

ReputationRep:
    hello

i was just put on the pill yesterday....i was hoping that would mean i could have sex without a condom (with my bf of over two years)but i read the booklet and it says that tetracycline (an antibiotic i am on for a long term basis) can reduce the effectivness of the pill (yasmin)and that another barrier method should be used

the only reason i went on the pill was so i could have sex without a condom...so i was considering spermicides as an additional precaution...i hear about then a lot but where do i buy them???...what are they like..how do i use them..any experinces??

also say if i stopped using tetracycline for the week before my bf came over do you think it would be out of my system??...im pissed off that the doctor told me that it was fine to take the two together when the leaflet clearly says it makes it less effective

also...anyone of tetracycline and the pill like me...what do you do??

EDIT: i called the fpa and problem is sorted..see below posts

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I think medicines/substances can take AGES to get out of the system, but it depends which type. We had a talk about drugs in sport the other day, and some substances can take up to 3 months to get out completely, whilst others take 24 hours. Maybe try to google the medicine, and see if you find anything.

Sorry I can't help with anything else, I'm on a different pill to you so wouldn;t know anything about your particular one.

ReputationRep:
    umm...how exactly do you plan to use spermicide without a condom? it's just not going to work...
    if your doctor knew that you were going on pill because you were intending not to use a condom, and that you were on the antibiotics, then he should have said something about it. Go back to your doctor and explain this to him. But i think antibiotics stop all pills working, i may be wrong but that has been my experience. You may have to consider an alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    umm...how exactly do you plan to use spermicide without a condom? it's just not going to work...
    if your doctor knew that you were going on pill because you were intending not to use a condom, and that you were on the antibiotics, then he should have said something about it. Go back to your doctor and explain this to him. But i think antibiotics stop all pills working, i may be wrong but that has been my experience. You may have to consider an alternative.
    Good point, I forgot about that! But it's only certain medicines, not all.

ReputationRep:
    i used to take tetracyclines for acne - if thats wot ure on them for u can get a pill that sorts that out aswel!

ReputationRep:
    see i dont know ANYTHING about spermicides..are they for use with condoms???..bloody hell i think a google session is in order

to be fair to him i didnt say explicitly that i was planning to have sex without a condom..i just assumed that the pill would mean i could and thats just what people did

bah..bloody boyfriend and his desires for condomless sex

xx

ReputationRep:
    Ask your doctor, if he said it would be ok maybe he knows better than the instruction on the medicines. Maybe he knows you are on a lower dose or something compared to what it is talking about on the box, such that it won't affect it. Whatever you do don't just stop taking your antibiotics without your doctor's say so.

If all else fails, there are these things called condoms...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bone-machine)
    hello

i was just put on the pill yesterday....i was hoping that would mean i could have sex without a condom but i read the booklet and it says that tetracycline (an antibiotic i am on for a long term basis) can reduce the effectivness of the pill (yasmin)and that another barrier method should be used

the SOUL reason i went on the pill was so i could have sex without a condom...so i was considering spermicides as an additional precaution...i hear about then a lot but where do i buy them???...what are they like..how do i use them..any experinces??

also say if i stopped using tetracycline for the week before my bf came over do you think it would be out of my system??...im pissed off that the doctor told me that it was fine to take the two together when the leaflet clearly says it makes it less effective

any input MUCH appreciated

xxx
    I always thought that spermicides were only present ON condoms. How else would you get it up there?

ReputationRep:
    see i dont know ANYTHING about spermicides..are they for use with condoms???..bloody hell i think a google session is in order

to be fair to him i didnt say explicitly that i was planning to have sex without a condom..i just assumed that the pill would mean i could and thats just what people did

bah..bloody boyfriend and his desires for condomless sex

xx
    Hmm...well they usually suggest you use both really..as they dont protect against STIs and unless you've both been checked out then it's not exactly safe/recommended.

and your last comment worried me a little - do you want condomless sex, or is just your bf?!

ReputationRep:
    sorry just to clear up a few things..the first post made me sound like an irresponsible slut :rolleyes:

iv been going out with my boyfriend for over two years and we've always just used condoms, both of us were virgins before hand so theres no outward sti's for me to catch...

i read that you can get seperate spermicide creams and foams to apply...im going to make another appointment....im really pissed off though because hes wanted to try without a condom for ages ...and i thought id found the answer....

i

ReputationRep:
    thanks L.J... i know for a fact he hasnt....and yes the antibioticsa re for my skin..im just sad because he was coming to see me in a few weeks and i wanted to suprise him...never mind..better safe then sorry....

ill make another appointment and see if they can suggest something better

thanks for all you replies...although no one seems to have used the foamy/cream spermicide....maybe its only available in america??
    xx

ReputationRep:
    thanks L.J... i know for a fact he hasnt....and yes the antibioticsa re for my skin..im just sad because he was coming to see me and i wanted to suprise him...never mind..better safe then sorry....
    Unless it was the first day of your period when you took your first pill you wouldn't have been protected for 7 days anyway.

ReputationRep:
    hello

i was just put on the pill yesterday....i was hoping that would mean i could have sex without a condom (with my bf of over two years)but i read the booklet and it says that tetracycline (an antibiotic i am on for a long term basis) can reduce the effectivness of the pill (yasmin)and that another barrier method should be used

the only reason i went on the pill was so i could have sex without a condom...so i was considering spermicides as an additional precaution...i hear about then a lot but where do i buy them???...what are they like..how do i use them..any experinces??

xxx
    tetracycline whether applied to the skin or in pill form is fine in combination with the 'pill'.

ReputationRep:
    thanks L.J... i know for a fact he hasnt....and yes the antibioticsa re for my skin..im just sad because he was coming to see me in a few weeks and i wanted to suprise him...never mind..better safe then sorry....

ill make another appointment and see if they can suggest something better

thanks for all you replies...although no one seems to have used the foamy/cream spermicide....maybe its only available in america??
    xx
    a friend went to africa and came back with the funniest thing they use as contraceptive there. its a foaming tablet which is inserted into the vag a few minutes before sex.
    the funniest thing was the advice for the woman 'when you feel the burning sensation it is appropriate to commence physical relations'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Navindu)
    a friend went to africa and came back with the funniest thing they use as contraceptive there. its a foaming tablet which is inserted into the vag a few minutes before sex.
    the funniest thing was the advice for the woman 'when you feel the burning sensation it is appropriate to commence physical relations'

hilarious!!
    i'm really sure that if it says on the packet that your antibiotics affect the pill then your doctor was wrong. maybe you could see if a different type of pill was not affected? there are other types of contraception such as the implant (yay for implants!!), the patch, the injection, diaphragm, coil, IUD etc.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)

just a quick note - just because your a virgin doesn't mean you don't have anything. Unless you're tested, you don't know
    Eh? If you've not had sexual relations (of any kind) how can you have a sexually transmitted disease

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone..thanks so much for all your replies...i just called the family planning association and the man kindly explained that

1. spermicide with a perhapse not fully effectve pill is NOT suitable form of contraception

and

2. that yasmin IS effective when on tetracycline if you have been on it for more then 3 weeks 9which i have)..by this time your body has got ajusted to the antibiotic and it shouldnt effect the pill....its only if youv taken it for less then this amount of time that it compromises on the effectivness of the pill

this made me feel

1. happy that there is such a rich source of information and advice about contraception....fpa tel is 02078374044 btw

and

2. happy that my initial goal is in reach!!

mwahxxxx

ReputationRep:
    hello

xxx
    Hmm, i really don't think you should be on tetracycline AND the pill...i was on it and the doctor explicitly told me to come off it. Why are you taking it if you don't mind me asking? If it's for your skin (mine was) the pill will clear that up so you really don't need both.

And no, spermicides are not enough to use by themselves (which effectively they would be as the antibiotics will prevent the pill working) so you still need a barrier method.

--------------

(Original post by blissy)
    Eh? If you've not had sexual relations (of any kind) how can you have a sexually transmitted disease
    If you're a virgin you may still have had oral sex in which case you could have an STI...did it say she had had no sexual relations at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie:))
    i used to take tetracyclines for acne - if thats wot ure on them for u can get a pill that sorts that out aswel!
    I was on Dianette for ages- its a contraceptive pill and makes your skin better- and it worked better for improving my skin than antibiotics had!!

ReputationRep:
    well to be fair it's up to you but i don't like messing with things that could potentially land me pregnant.
    better safe and sure than sorry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.