This discussion is closed.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I am a third year A-Levels student taking a gap year to further my A-Levels in subjects I haven't taken since GCSE in order to give me a better all round education.
My college over the summer holidays decided with the local council in order to get a reduction on travel costs you have to apply via the college to the Local Education Authority to send you a card via the Internet to entitle you to save 1/3 on your train fare to and from college.
I applied for this and was rejected because I've already got some A-Levels and because of this I'm not allowed to buy a monthly or weekly ticket but a ticket each day which amounts to £4.20 per day to go and study.
There are people at my college that are in their 20's and 30's that have literally been trying to pass A-Levels since they finished their GCSE's and in some cases 'O'-Levels. They all get help with the train fares.
My family's income is £12,000 a year after tax.
Is this fair or unfair because each day £4.20 comes out of MY not my parents by my OWN pocket from working, to pay to go to college. This is money I should be saving for University and I have to pay it out to get to college because they think it's necessary for me to pay the full whack.
El_Borish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
£4.20 is a lot, but the council would probably just say "go somewhere closer, there are people more needy of the help than you"

not saying i agree with them mind, reminds me of the postcode lottery talk about hospitals
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by El_Borish)
£4.20 is a lot, but the council would probably just say "go somewhere closer, there are people more needy of the help than you"

not saying i agree with them mind, reminds me of the postcode lottery talk about hospitals
The ironic thing it's the closest place to me....
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
The ironic thing it's the closest place to me....
hmmm, in that case, im stumped!
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Someone said it was fair! The ******
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am a third year A-Levels student taking a gap year to further my A-Levels in subjects I haven't taken since GCSE in order to give me a better all round education.
My college over the summer holidays decided with the local council in order to get a reduction on travel costs you have to apply via the college to the Local Education Authority to send you a card via the Internet to entitle you to save 1/3 on your train fare to and from college.
I applied for this and was rejected because I've already got some A-Levels and because of this I'm not allowed to buy a monthly or weekly ticket but a ticket each day which amounts to £4.20 per day to go and study.
There are people at my college that are in their 20's and 30's that have literally been trying to pass A-Levels since they finished their GCSE's and in some cases 'O'-Levels. They all get help with the train fares.
Is this fair or unfair because each day £4.20 comes out of MY not my parents by my OWN pocket from working, to pay to go to college. This is money I should be saving for University and I have to pay it out to get to college because they think it's necessary for me to pay the full whack.
oh by all means, it's very fair
gayboy09
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
[My family's income is £12,000 a year after tax.
whack.[/QUOTE]

£12K per annum? I think you are exaggerating there. Refuge Collectors get around £14K after tax, and they get paid pretty poorly for a poor job.

Are you a single parent family?
IF so, what does that parent do for a living?

£12K for what job?
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
My dad is retired, he owns his own company however all the profit is divided between 4 people, he has contracts but none have been paid for yet and I have stated before THEY DON'T GIVE ME ANY MONEY, I pay out of my wages which is bloody hard seeing as I only go back to work on Thursday since I last worked on the 22nd of December....
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
And my mum runs the red cross ....on a voluntary basis because we have paid off our house and are currently selling in order to get a bit of money to send me to University
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

You do not have to pay to take the Alevels course do you, because you are eighteen and turning nineteenth this year. However, those over 19 have to pay either the full rate for the course which at some places is around 200 quid or a slightly reduced rate.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Matt the cat)
You do not have to pay to take the Alevels course do you, because you are eighteen and turning nineteenth this year. However, those over 19 have to pay either the full rate for the course which at some places is around 200 quid or a slightly reduced rate.
They tried to make me pay and I took it up with the LEA and said by the time I finish the course I'll still be 18 (my birthday is 28th August) so technically I shouldn't
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They tried to make me pay and I took it up with the LEA and said by the time I finish the course I'll still be 18 (my birthday is 28th August) so technically I shouldn't
not everyone needs to go to uni, why don't you work full-time?
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by boygenious)
not everyone needs to go to uni, why don't you work full-time?
Why the hell should I?
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why do those in their 30s have their travel subsidised but you don't?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well then aren't you a year ahead? Erm I think the year caught up with you though...
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
I really do not know, that's what I argued but I worked it out they get tonnes of cash from those people and from the government whereas with me because I'm still 18 I don't have to pay and the government give them squat for me I suppose.
They told 75% of the college they had dyslexia as well and then mysteriously after they told the government they built a huge new Halls of Residence.
The beauty therapy suite makes more than a grand in one day.
The international students dwarf the local students
They make everybody (even I, who already has their Key skills) do key skills so they get money from the government
They are getting loads of cash from all this and we wonder why they are introducing top up loans because they keep spending it on these stupid things
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Well then aren't you a year ahead? Erm I think the year caught up with you though...
No I'm not, the cut off date is the 31st of August

And I don't want to get a job yet, I have just as much right to be at University as anybody else, my dad had to pay for his degree and do it in his free time whilst having a full time job and a family, I want to get a degree so I don't have to suffer for it in the future.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No I'm not, the cut off date is the 31st of August

And I don't want to get a job yet, I have just as much right to be at University as anybody else, my dad had to pay for his degree and do it in his free time whilst having a full time job and a family, I want to get a degree so I don't have to suffer for it in the future.
Indeed she does. Going to be much trickier with your income funding your getting to college though. Not fair for a student who is already among a group getting a raw deal. Bah, the "investment" will be worth it in the end.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Indeed she does. Going to be much trickier with your income funding your getting to college though. Not fair for a student who is already among a group getting a raw deal. Bah, the "investment" will be worth it in the end.
No I mean I'll be fine for University, my dad has saved enough in my Building Society account over the years (18 to be precise) to cover my accomodation, It's just I'm sick of having to pay my money out to get to college...I'm often absent like today because I just didn't have the £4.20 to get there!
I will get my student loan for living costs etc, and the money I get from work I'm supposed to be saving for extras like going to gigs and tube tickets etc but just the next....4 months I have to pay £4.20, 4 days a week to get to college, purely because I've already got three A-Levels and two AS Levels
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No I mean I'll be fine for University, my dad has saved enough in my Building Society account over the years (18 to be precise) to cover my accomodation, It's just I'm sick of having to pay my money out to get to college...I'm often absent like today because I just didn't have the £4.20 to get there!
I will get my student loan for living costs etc, and the money I get from work I'm supposed to be saving for extras like going to gigs and tube tickets etc but just the next....4 months I have to pay £4.20, 4 days a week to get to college, purely because I've already got three A-Levels and two AS Levels
Are there no monthly/yearly travelcards available?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
29.63%
No (16)
59.26%
Don't know (3)
11.11%

Watched Threads