Turn on thread page Beta

Dad doesn't want to go to Open Day watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_v)
    Take the train?

Have you ever driven for 10 hours in one day? Thats a long way, and not a very enjoyable experience
    That's not really the point, especially when most parents are raring to see where their children will be studying and interested in their future.

Also, have you seen the prices of train travel these days?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesseecar123)
    Also the train costs 220 quid lol, I was going to take my boyfriend but he's working and tbh I want it to be one of those things I can take my Dad too.
    How much do you think petrol will cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_v)
    How much do you think petrol will cost?
    90 quid... But I'll go halves. Also money's not too much of a problem for him, it's just the driving which I said I'd share as well. I don't have to make him go either he said he would he's just making it very clear he doesn't want to.

I'm probably overreacting. Would be nice if he wanted to though.

ReputationRep:
    My dad was the same. It turns out he just didn't want me moving so far away from home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    My dad was the same. It turns out he just didn't want me moving so far away from home
    Aw that's lovely I don't think this is the case though haha, he's said he's moving to Cyprus when I'm gone. But tbh atleast he's staying until then

ReputationRep:
    I can understand your dad's point. This is your big adventure, not his and this might be his way of letting you grow up. You can't rely on him in uni .
    My mother has decided to come to my open day and I'm actually annoyed. She didn't want to go to the rest of them and now I have to pay her train fair to come with me -_-. She will be so bored and will have no interest in anything said. I'll spend the whole day feeling bad because she is bored :P and you might feel the same if your dad comes along.

You should go to the open day but maybe get the train instead. It will be a good learning experience for you.

Also, hehe *blush* there are sooo many cuties in uni. Can't chat anyone up if your dad is there XD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 07734)
    I can understand your dad's point. This is your big adventure, not his and this might be his way of letting you grow up. You can't rely on him in uni .
    My mother has decided to come to my open day and I'm actually annoyed. She didn't want to go to the rest of them and now I have to pay her train fair to come with me -_-. She will be so bored and will have no interest in anything said. I'll spend the whole day feeling bad because she is bored :P and you might feel the same if your dad comes along.

You should go to the open day but maybe get the train instead. It will be a good learning experience for you.

Also, hehe *blush* there are sooo many cuties in uni. Can't chat anyone up if your dad is there XD.
    Yeah that's what I'm really worried about and if it's not on the day it'll be when we get back. I couldn't afford to go by myself and the coach takes 9 hours lol. I think I'm just gonna take him along and hope for the best.

Also I have a boyfriend so I won't be doing much flirting :P But my Dad will probably try with other parents haha, worrying. I hope something might switch in his brain and he enjoys it.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone
    So I've recently firmed Sheffield to study Journalism and I'm supposed to be going to an Open Day there tomorrow. After a couple of weeks of me asking my Dad to take me he reluctantly said yes but I keep hearing him moaning about it on the phone and saying it's "lunacy" because we live in Devon and it's so far away.

I can of course understand why he wouldn't want to drive 5 hours there and back but just feel a bit like all my friends parents insist on taking them to Open Days and play a massive part and show interest in what they're doing but my Dad seems to be the opposite.

Now he's said he'll take me but I know he'll make me feel bad about it. I just wish he'd want to go and show a bit of interest. I just don't think he realises how much it means to me.

Do you think I should go or not?
    eh??
    If you are firming the course then why on earth are you going there for an open day????
    Makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I'm really worried about and if it's not on the day it'll be when we get back. I couldn't afford to go by myself and the coach takes 9 hours lol. I think I'm just gonna take him along and hope for the best.

Also I have a boyfriend so I won't be doing much flirting :P But my Dad will probably try with other parents haha, worrying. I hope something might switch in his brain and he enjoys it.
    XD Yeah, I have a boyfriend now too but I didn't on my last uni visiting day *blush*.

I wish you the best then. Hehe, if the worst comes to worst then just praise him and thank him lots and lots over the next few days and he'll probably forget about it!

I know a friend of mine left their dad in the pub while he went to the talks XD. He came three hours later and his dad was on the floor drunk XD. They had to stay in a hotel over night XD

ReputationRep:
    In the past two years my dad/mum have taken me to Bath twice, (5 hours away), Cambridge and Oxford (4 hours away) Sheffield (1 Hour away), Nottingham, Manchester and Newcastle twice (2 hours away). All there and back in a day....... Are they mad or supportive? Personally I think supportive.......(also I think they like days off work :P )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    eh??
    If you are firming the course then why on earth are you going there for an open day????
    Makes no sense.
    Sometimes they have 'Offer Holders' departmental open days....

ReputationRep:
    eh??
    Makes no sense.

(Original post by jess596)
    ^This. I firmed Sunderland before I'd actually even been here. Didn't come to an open day until 6 months after I'd got in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    i took my grandma cos nobody else would go with me. :awesome:
    I took mine too :p: Grandma's are awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am well aware of that. Such days are of course useful to help students decide on where to firm. As I mentioned in my previous post, the OP has already firmed ... so why on earth would one go to an open day? It just does not make any sense to me...

ReputationRep:
    My mum still hasn't seen the city that I will be living in the next four years even though, I have been going on and on and on about it for the last 3 years... and it's like 2-3 hours drive away. :/

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone
    So I've recently firmed Sheffield to study Journalism and I'm supposed to be going to an Open Day there tomorrow. After a couple of weeks of me asking my Dad to take me he reluctantly said yes but I keep hearing him moaning about it on the phone and saying it's "lunacy" because we live in Devon and it's so far away.

I can of course understand why he wouldn't want to drive 5 hours there and back but just feel a bit like all my friends parents insist on taking them to Open Days and play a massive part and show interest in what they're doing but my Dad seems to be the opposite.

Now he's said he'll take me but I know he'll make me feel bad about it. I just wish he'd want to go and show a bit of interest. I just don't think he realises how much it means to me.

Do you think I should go or not?
    I think you should go yourself.

To get to Lancaster on my own on public transport, it was a 16 hour day, leaving at 6:30, getting home at about 10, and Lancaster is only 86 miles away!

You're gonna have to get used to going places on public transport on your own, though maybe with being a girl your parents aren't okay with that. Not being sexist, just parents tend to be overprotective with girls.

My parents are somewhat interested, my mother moreso than my father, but my dad works shifts and my mother doesn't work or drive, so I'm pretty buggered!

I must say, I've never seen anyone else unaccompanied at an open day (be it with a friend or parent) other than myself. Kinda gutting, really...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am well aware of that. Such days are of course useful to help students decide on where to firm. As I mentioned in my previous post, the OP has already firmed ... so why on earth would one go to an open day? It just does not make any sense to me...
    Well I'm visiting the place i'm gonna firm tomorrow.......and if you've never been never been before I think it would be beneficial......However on another point I wouldnt firm a uni without visiting it first......

Unless it was abroad of course.....but even then......

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm visiting the place i'm gonna firm tomorrow.......and if you've never been never been before I think it would be beneficial......However on another point I wouldnt firm a uni without visiting it first......

Unless it was abroad of course.....but even then......
    as i said the op has already firmed ......... etc

ReputationRep:
    If you've already firmed it, why do you need to go? Surely visiting universities is important during the process of deciding where to apply to and firm/insurance. It's not exactly going to be any use if visiting does change your opinion of it, because you can't change your firm and insurance, and if visiting doesn't change your opinion, there wasn't really much point in going in the first place.

Go on the Megabus if you really want to go, or look into National Express coaches. But there's no harm in going to all your open days etc alone - I took myself to all my open days and interviews by myself (the ones I could afford to attend :rolleyes:) and nobody thought it was peculiar in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    I've enjoyed open days without my parents much more than the one I went to with my dad. There's always someone else by themself who you can get chatting to, I have met some lovely people and I get the freedom to wander round the town by myself and see what I want to see without having to take anyone else into account. I have a lot more fun by myself.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.