Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dad doesn't want to go to Open Day watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Go on your own. I'm also flying to the UK from Spain to visit universities and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    My parents took me by car there and back. But it was only a 4 hour journey in total. Nothing like the 10 hours you'd be having. When we got there I like to be independant. So they get the shopping experience in the local area whilst I visit the university XD I get half independence and they do their shopping ! They wouldn't let me lose my independance fully yet XD So they took me by car. At least it saves money for me I guess :\ Feel guilty when they stop at a petrol station though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    as i said the op has already firmed ......... etc
    hmmmm.....not quite sure I get your drift......but nevermind :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess596)
    hmmmm.....not quite sure I get your drift......but nevermind :P
    Read the first post in the thread.
    The OP has Firmed.
    Hence why I said I did not understand the logic in going on an open day.
    Not sure what you do not understand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesseecar123)
    Hello everyone
    So I've recently firmed Sheffield to study Journalism and I'm supposed to be going to an Open Day there tomorrow. After a couple of weeks of me asking my Dad to take me he reluctantly said yes but I keep hearing him moaning about it on the phone and saying it's "lunacy" because we live in Devon and it's so far away.

I can of course understand why he wouldn't want to drive 5 hours there and back but just feel a bit like all my friends parents insist on taking them to Open Days and play a massive part and show interest in what they're doing but my Dad seems to be the opposite.

Now he's said he'll take me but I know he'll make me feel bad about it. I just wish he'd want to go and show a bit of interest. I just don't think he realises how much it means to me.

Do you think I should go or not?
    Ask him kindly if he doesn't want to support his daughter in her studies? This is part of that. Ask him how much he loves you and whether one trip of 500km (or however much it is) was really asked for too much for the future of your own child.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem really.

ReputationRep:
    Take the train there by yourself. No one's going to be happy if one of you aren't happy.

I had to travel for almost 5 hours by myself starting from 6am in the morning on train to get to Sheffield for my Sheffield Hallam interview. Because I'm indecisive and I chose graphic design as the course I ended up hauling 3 sketchbooks with me with an A2 portfolio. At the end of the day my hands were blistered and my arms were aching.
    In the end they offered me an Extended Degree which I didn't want to attend since it requires me to stay in SHU for 4/5 years ==;;

ReputationRep:
    I understand that it would be nice if your Dad was bit more supportive, but the underlying issue appears to be, if you rely on your Dad to get you to an open day, then how are you going to get there & back when you are at the uni? You can't have your dad come and collect you!

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people are missing the point here.

I don't have a very close relationship with my Dad at all. I'm the most independent person I know out of all my friends. I only moved back home a year ago because I started College and couldn't afford to keep living alone. It's not that I NEED him to take me. I want to go with him purely because I want him to be interested in this because it means a lot to me.

I haven't done much to make him proud of me over the years, I left school at 15... But I've pulled it all back now so I want to share this one experience with him and I want him to show some interest. I wouldn't mind going alone at all, I just want him to come. As lame as that does sound.

But anyway we're going tomorrow so hopefully everything will go well. Thanks for all the help everyone
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    I took mine too :p: Grandma's are awesome!
    yeah they always want to get in on the action haha! my grandma loved the uni (Sheffield) but in the end I decided not to go and withdrew my app during my gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Train.
    Take one.

ReputationRep:
    Get a train, he will appreciate that he doesn't have to drive and you will feel better and you get to go...it's win win!

ReputationRep:
    Catch a train and don't bring him. My parents wanted to come to mine but luckily they were living in America at the time - I was a bit nervous about going on my own but without parents there you can actually talk to the lecturers, ask important questions like what transport back to halls is there after 4 am while drunk, and get to know people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delllboy)
    Definately go. Explain to your dad that it's what everyone does pretty much.
    Definitely*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)
    That's not really the point, especially when most parents are raring to see where their children will be studying and interested in their future.

Also, have you seen the prices of train travel these days?!
    Exactly, plus if the OP's Dad doesn't feel like driving for 10 hours he could have booked a travel lodge or something (well in advance for peanuts) and then you could drive up the day before or drive back the day after the open day. I know I don't like driving more than about 8 hours in a day if it can be avoided.

Train travel is again something that needs to be booked well in advance. I took a mixture of my mum/dad/step-dad to my open days, varying from me driving down to Surrey or my step-dad driving to Bolton/Hull (from Norwich).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesseecar123)
    Hello everyone
    So I've recently firmed Sheffield to study Journalism and I'm supposed to be going to an Open Day there tomorrow. After a couple of weeks of me asking my Dad to take me he reluctantly said yes but I keep hearing him moaning about it on the phone and saying it's "lunacy" because we live in Devon and it's so far away.

I can of course understand why he wouldn't want to drive 5 hours there and back but just feel a bit like all my friends parents insist on taking them to Open Days and play a massive part and show interest in what they're doing but my Dad seems to be the opposite.

Now he's said he'll take me but I know he'll make me feel bad about it. I just wish he'd want to go and show a bit of interest. I just don't think he realises how much it means to me.

Do you think I should go or not?
    I know how u feel, I live in Sheffield and my dad wouldn't go with me! Is there another relative or perhaps a friend you could go with? You could make a day of it :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Get a train?
    problem is: trains are few and far between in devon :/ theres few stations and few cross country trains! and of course it takes a long time and she will be stuck to a schedule which isnt always great! I think OP that your better off taking your dad and you can complain about him not taking an interest in your education on a another day

ReputationRep:
    I went by myself to a good part of my open days - the ones where I didn't, my dad had been able to work in his company's office in the town, or else to use the occasion for another purpose such as when we went to Kent we went and visited my gran too.

I always met some kindly soul on the train as well.

Be more independent, I'd never dream of pulling my dad out of work and make him drive all the way up north just to trail around behind me at some university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_v)
    How much do you think petrol will cost?
    not that much... i can go from leeds - devon (have done it twice...or leeds - worcester and back again (which works out as pretty much same but my regular journey) on 1 tank which in my car (corsa) costs £40 -£45
    x

ReputationRep:
    Take a sibling, they can always be helpful

Meh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    not that much... i can go from leeds - devon (have done it twice...or leeds - worcester and back again (which works out as pretty much same but my regular journey) on 1 tank which in my car (corsa) costs £40 -£45
    x
    Leeds to Devon is 300 miles.

Devon to Sheffield and back again is 550-600 miles.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.