Turn on thread page Beta

England vs Ghana, Int. friendly, 29/3/11, 20:00 watch

ReputationRep:
    WOOO GHANA :woo:

(I know absolutely nothing about football but I've still got tickets to watch it)

ReputationRep:
    Should be a good game. Ghana have been my second team in the last two world cups!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    I don't even think Ghana was a country when England won the World Cup, so that's hardly a valid argument.
    The Gold Coast gained independence from the Empire, becoming Ghana in the process, in 1957

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    if that goal had been allowed england would have been more composed at half time. They would have won no problem
    Regardless of the goal that should have been given, Germany's attack still made our defence look like schoolboys, whilst it struggled to break down Ghana's. Their match vs Ghana was also pretty much equally as important because if they didn't win it they almost certainly wouldn't have qualified out of their group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    Regardless of the goal that should have been given, Germany's attack still made our defence look like schoolboys, whilst it struggled to break down Ghana's. Their match vs Ghana was also pretty much equally as important because if they didn't win it they almost certainly wouldn't have qualified out of their group.
    i watched the match again a few days ago.. germany didnt completely thrash england, they were struggling against england big time in the second half. the german keeper was making crazy saves and england had them pinned back in their half for a good first 20 minutes or so, constantly creating chances. germany caught 2 lucky counter attacks because the disallowed goal meant england had to push more players forward.

i've never understood the whole 'germany completely outclassed england' thing. england had more possession and created more chances than germany, germany were just the better team to watch. but as far as footballs concerned, that was a tight match.

i'm not english myself, but why do people think it's cool to hate on their own national team? england has a brilliant squad, they were just unlucky, and i'm sure they will destroy ghana on tuesday. no offence to ghanians.

ReputationRep:
    ___________Hart_____________
    Cole___Terry___Ferdinand___Johns on
    _____Wilshere____Gerrard______
    Young____Lampard_____Walcott
    __________Rooney____________

all of capello's problems sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imbicurious)
    i watched the match again a few days ago.. germany didnt completely thrash england, they were struggling against england big time in the second half. the german keeper was making crazy saves and england had them pinned back in their half for a good first 20 minutes or so, constantly creating chances. germany caught 2 lucky counter attacks because the disallowed goal meant england had to push more players forward.

i've never understood the whole 'germany completely outclassed england' thing. england had more possession and created more chances than germany, germany were just the better team to watch. but as far as footballs concerned, that was a tight match.

i'm not english myself, but why do people think it's cool to hate on their own national team? england has a brilliant squad, they were just unlucky, and i'm sure they will destroy ghana on tuesday. no offence to ghanians.
    Hmm, well seeing as you recently re-watched the match, you're in a much better position to judge than I am. However, you can't deny that Germany put 4 past England and only 1 (exceptional goal) vs Ghana, which is a clear difference. From memory the German attack did outclass England in terms of incisiveness.

I don't particularly hate England, but I'm Irish, so I'm not really an England fan.

ReputationRep:
    Did I see Capello state somewhere it'd be a different starting eleven from the Wales game, or did I imagine it?

Green
    Jagielka Cahill Lescott Baines
    Lennon Milner Barry Downing
    Carroll Defoe

That's the best we can come up with in this scenario so I have no doubts Capello will once again renege on a promise and play whoever he fancies

ReputationRep:
    Green
    Milner Barry
    Lennon Young Downing
    Defoe

I think it'll be the same system/formation as Capello like it v Wales. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Green
    Milner Barry
    Lennon Young Downing
    Defoe

I think it'll be the same system/formation as Capello like it v Wales. :holmes:
    Depends if he wants to stick to his word or not :sigh: It's pointless playing an entirely different eleven than the one he'd use in a qualifier as a friendly should be utilised as a chance for different systems and tactics to be tested among the core players rather than just a needless 90 minutes for a collective who will never play together again.

I can see why he's sent the CL contenders home, but after that he should pick his strongest team rather than just give a game to whoever was kind enough to turn up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Depends if he wants to stick to his word or not :sigh: It's pointless playing an entirely different eleven than the one he'd use in a qualifier as a friendly should be utilised as a chance for different systems and tactics to be tested among the core players rather than just a needless 90 minutes for a collective who will never play together again.

I can see why he's sent the CL contenders home, but after that he should pick his strongest team rather than just give a game to whoever was kind enough to turn up.
    I agree with that but I guess it all goes back to this manager-power business, not sure Capello sent out the right message by sending the CL contenders home. I can see West Ham/Villa having problems with their key players playing in basically meaningless friendlies, especially as Parker and Young played 90 minutes against Wales.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    I agree with that but I guess it all goes back to this manager-power business, not sure Capello sent out the right message by sending the CL contenders home. I can see West Ham/Villa having problems with their key players playing in basically meaningless friendlies, especially as Parker and Young played 90 minutes against Wales.
    Yeah that's true, I wouldn't be delighted if Young and Bent (:sexface:) both played and got injured considering Villa would be left with Heskey and Pires for the rest of the season

Suppose it all comes back to the question of why the **** are we playing international games now when the next 6 weeks are going to be absolutely crammed with fixtures and postponements :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Matt Jarvis please

ReputationRep:
    I think Jarvis will play some second half minutes. Capello enjoys giving meaningless runouts to the flavour of the month. See: Kevin Davies and Jay Bothroyd. Neither of them did anything at all when they went back to their clubs though, wonder if Jarvis will suffer the same fate :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    ___________Hart_____________
    Cole___Terry___Ferdinand___Johns on
    _____Wilshere____Gerrard______
    Young____Lampard_____Walcott
    __________Rooney____________

all of capello's problems sorted
    That team would get absolutely destroyed by average teams. There isn't any defensive capablility in the centre of the midfield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    That team would get absolutely destroyed by average teams. There isn't any defensive capablility in the centre of the midfield.
    let me guess, you'd rather have some slow fat guy like barry playing instead of wilshere lmao.

come on man, these are professional players. yeah every midfielder i listed likes to attack, but they'll obviously defend when they need to. i've watched all of englands games after the world cup and the one thing i noticed was that no matter what line-up capello starts, they're always superb off the ball. so i doubt having two world-class midfielders who like to attack will **** up the team. they have four attackers in front of them too, = enough players to track back and defend without leaving a deprived strike force.

to say that the line-up i listed would get absolutely destroyed by an average team is a bit overkill. i'm curious, what would your line-up be?

ReputationRep:
    btw will tomorrows match be a reserves/substitutes match or a proper match? i'm not watching it if people like barry, jagielka, baines etc. are playing

ReputationRep:
    let me guess, you'd rather have some slow fat guy like barry playing instead of wilshere lmao.

come on man, these are professional players. yeah every midfielder i listed likes to attack, but they'll obviously defend when they need to. i've watched all of englands games after the world cup and the one thing i noticed was that no matter what line-up capello starts, they're always superb off the ball. so i doubt having two world-class midfielders who like to attack will **** up the team. they have four attackers in front of them too, = enough players to track back and defend without leaving a deprived strike force.

to say that the line-up i listed would get absolutely destroyed by an average team is a bit overkill. i'm curious, what would your line-up be?
    I would have Parker or another player who can actually understand what it means to sit and tackle and when to close down.

Gerrard and Lampard just do not work together as a central midfield pairing. Adding in Wilshere who is used to playing in a 3 man midfield, and as the central cog who can push on and not the holder, would be ridiculous. 3 players who want to run forward, attack, create, It would just play havoc with any shape we try and make them into.

As for a team, I don't really care that much as I couldn't care less about England, the same way the players wouldn't if it didn't increase their sponsorship revenue.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope Gerrard doesn't just waltz straight back into the team at the expense of Parker, who has been on a different level to him for at least two seasons now and is only just getting recognised for it.

Ideally Parker and Wilshere play together tomorrow for more gelling :sexface: but there is no way that'll happen so it'll be a third or fourth string pairing of Barry plus one other

ReputationRep:
    "About seven changes" :holmes:

Interesting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2012
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.