Turn on thread page Beta

England vs Ghana, Int. friendly, 29/3/11, 20:00 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polar Dude)
    well this should be an interesting game
    Exactly what I was gonna say

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping Parker's inclusion was the end of Gareth Barry. Doesn't look like it. This guy is not and never could be, a holding midfielder. I'd even say Milner would do a much better job there (his best position is a 'Lampard' role) but Capello likes to play his on the left (what the...) or Mancini will stick him in a front three. I think he has the discipline for the role.

It should be irrelevant given Wilshere and Parker should now be given the two holding roles, but with Barry now captaining the team, who knows what Capello has in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Barry is only captain in this one game, it's basically a B-team friendly and Capello trusts him having been one of the players to get the armband against Denmark. I don't think it's a sign of any future prospects otherwise he would have played against Wales over Parker.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo....html#comments

Someone's gonna throw a banana aren't they! :eek:

:banana::banana::banana2::banana::banana:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Yeah that's true, I wouldn't be delighted if Young and Bent (:sexface:) both played and got injured considering Villa would be left with Heskey and Pires for the rest of the season

Suppose it all comes back to the question of why the **** are we playing international games now when the next 6 weeks are going to be absolutely crammed with fixtures and postponements :facepalm2:
    Read today that Capello is planning to make 11 changes. :facepalm2: Messi and the Barca Spanish lot pretty much play 90 minutes, even in meaningless friendlies. This players-being sent-back business contributes to England's downfall in major tournaments - no plan B, as you said the players playing tomorrow will never play together again.

But this really isn't an ideal time to play friendlies or these qualifiers, perhaps this stuff should be end-of-season.

ReputationRep:
    According the Guardian podcast Ghana are 11/2 to win this match. They are ridiculously good odds tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Barry is only captain in this one game, it's basically a B-team friendly and Capello trusts him having been one of the players to get the armband against Denmark. I don't think it's a sign of any future prospects otherwise he would have played against Wales over Parker.
    May just be me, but I think the international captain should play. There must also be some indication he'll play in the future otherwise why bother making him captain? It seems all of Capello's decisions are incredibly short termist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Read today that Capello is planning to make 11 changes. :facepalm2: Messi and the Barca Spanish lot pretty much play 90 minutes, even in meaningless friendlies. This players-being sent-back business contributes to England's downfall in major tournaments - no plan B, as you said the players playing tomorrow will never play together again.

But this really isn't an ideal time to play friendlies or these qualifiers, perhaps this stuff should be end-of-season.
    Now he's said he'll make about 7 changes. The guy is incredible :facepalm2:

(Original post by little_wizard123)
    May just be me, but I think the international captain should play. There must also be some indication he'll play in the future otherwise why bother making him captain? It seems all of Capello's decisions are incredibly short termist.
    From listening to Terry's soundbites recently he seems geniunely interested in playing for England and leading the team, so I would like to see him lead us out again. Rather that than someone not good enough to make the bench for a qualifier come in and take the armband for one game only.

(Original post by Mess.)
    According the Guardian podcast Ghana are 11/2 to win this match. They are ridiculously good odds tbh.
    Ghana officially have 20,000 fans (and probably more unofficial) so could be a decent bet. See it being a draw though.

ReputationRep:
    Aaron Lennon's out with hamstring injury, Jarvis's chance of a international debut are increasing

ReputationRep:
    This friendly is so pointless, which is evident by the release of key players. I don't know how you can learn anythng from fielding a mish-mash team.

I often ponder the sanity of England fans who turn up for such encounters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyfantastic90)
    Woo Ghana. Although I don't understand football what is the point of a friendly match can someone explain it to me?
    Chance for the FA to try and recoup some of the ridiculous money they wasted on the new Wembley. England gamnes should be played throughout the country not just in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    Chance for the FA to try and recoup some of the ridiculous money they wasted on the new Wembley. England gamnes should be played throughout the country not just in London.
    100% agreed.

Rotating England games across the country - London, Manchester, Midlands, North East, North West - made so much sense, on so many levels. Primarily, it dilutes any southern-centric element to supporting England, which many Northern people feel. Also, cup finals in Cardiff generally went down well.

ReputationRep:
    What a pisstake.

Welbeck has been called to play against us, when he should be playing for us.

ReputationRep:
    Hart, Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines, Milner, Barry, Wilshere, Downing, Carroll, Young.

Time for launch :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    england are going to get ****ed over

ReputationRep:
    Line up needs a bit of Matty boyo Jarvis, tbh!

ReputationRep:
    Thought Jarvis would play instead of Young tbh, disappointed he's starting again.

ReputationRep:
    Anthony 'Master of the 5 yard pass' Annan is playing :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Very very close there, watch it England.

ReputationRep:
    ITV Player is even worse than an illegal stream.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2012
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.