Turn on thread page Beta

England vs Ghana, Int. friendly, 29/3/11, 20:00 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackthevillain)
    Yer that was why I said why couldnt they beat a very weak England team when at the moment they are supposed to be better than Englands first team.
    What's your point then? It was a friendly, both sides played well. There were some v.good English players out there, it was hardly an average team ffs.

Err Remind me which team made it to the quarter finals of the WC?

ReputationRep:
    Oh and for the record, that's not the same team that played for ghana in the world cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Oh and for the record, that's not the same team that played for ghana in the world cup.
    Can't have been too many alterations?

ReputationRep:
    Ghana fans pissed me right off. To boo a young player like Welbeck on his first ever appearance for the country where he was BORN is well out.

Plus 90% of them were probably born or live in England anyway, so all the talk about their numbers is equally boring.

EDIT: And i don't mean that in the 'i'm racist and there's too many africans in england' way that TSR will no doubt spin it. Lets face it, it's a fact that a lot of the 'Ghanians' there tonight were born or live in england.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzzle)
    What a pisstake.

Welbeck has been called to play against us, when he should be playing for us.
    **** right off :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who enjoyed that match then?
    One of the best friendly I've watched in a while I can tell you.
    I'd take a guess here but are majority of the people who didn't like it because it was a "c/d team playing" all "top" team-supporters? It was so refreshing to see new faces, we had plenty of chances and actually seemed to be more a team with players who have rarely if ever played internationally before.
    Not really a Capello fan, but good on him for having the balls to try something new and experiemtnal. That's what friendlies are for and for me it worked. Sure, it's not perfect, but these boys want to play it seems and don't expect it like some of the older lads do. And I think this makes them want the ball more, want to attack more and just show what they're worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackthevillain)
    I wouldnt be happy if my team who nearly got the world cup semis just salvaged a draw against a England c team. Why are you happy Ghana should of won easily.
    Who cares! gyan scored :cool:

You should learn to dance like him dude :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steff_stephanie)
    I'd take a guess here but are majority of the people who didn't like it because it was a "c/d team playing" all "top" team-supporters? It was so refreshing to see new faces, we had plenty of chances and actually seemed to be more a team with players who have rarely if ever played internationally before.
    Not really a Capello fan, but good on him for having the balls to try something new and experiemtnal. That's what friendlies are for and for me it worked. Sure, it's not perfect, but these boys want to play it seems and don't expect it like some of the older lads do. And I think this makes them want the ball more, want to attack more and just show what they're worth.
    People just dont watch football. Some of them are well known. Badu, Asamoah, Adiyah, Ayew and Opare are not new faces. They play for Udinese, Ac Milan, Olympic Marseille and Real Madrid respectively.

ReputationRep:
    Joke play England almost fully on the defensive all second half but hey Ghana really went for it, Gyan's great up front, quite technically skilled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millz)
    People just dont watch football. Some of them are well known. Badu, Asamoah, Adiyah, Ayew and Opare are not new faces. They play for Udinese, Ac Milan, Olympic Marseille and Real Madrid respectively.
    I think she meant the england team and how people are calling it the c/d team. Tbh I would prefer them to play in international championships that the usual to team players egomaniacs such as Lampard, Rooney and Terry, because the so-called c/d team are playing like they mean it and are proud and honored to be playing for them and not being half-arsed about it and walking around like it's a ****ing right for them to be playing for the team.

lol and I'm not even english but it pisses me off because the same thing happened to my country's team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steff_stephanie)
    I think the majority enjoyed it, but the most vocal are always those who criticise. I think a lot of credit has to go to all the guys who stepped in over the two games. Bent, Young, Parker, Downing and the rest looked promising and although we'll come across better teams Ghana were a solid outfit who we did okay against. I can imagine Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney playing and it being another mundane event but that's just talk. What we got was excellent and anyone suggesting before the game that Capello sending 5 players home short changed them will surely have been turned around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshyy)
    Ghana fans pissed me right off. To boo a young player like Welbeck on his first ever appearance for the country where he was BORN is well out.

Plus 90% of them were probably born or live in England anyway, so all the talk about their numbers is equally boring.

EDIT: And i don't mean that in the 'i'm racist and there's too many africans in england' way that TSR will no doubt spin it. Lets face it, it's a fact that a lot of the 'Ghanians' there tonight were born or live in england.
    Agreed, on the first part.

I though booing Welbeck so much was out of order.

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed this match, first England friendly I've enjoyed watching in a long, long time. The starting XI today should be the starting XI against Switzerland. :gah: They did look pretty good in the first half, or balanced at least. I think Ghana missed the creative spark of KP Boateng (sounds like he has been an idiot for the last week or so, going by what the commentators said), but Gyan was brilliant. Ghana fans were brilliant, they deserved that goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    I think she meant the england team and how people are calling it the c/d team. Tbh I would prefer them to play in international championships that the usual to team players egomaniacs such as Lampard, Rooney and Terry, because the so-called c/d team are playing like they mean it and are proud and honored to be playing for them and not being half-arsed about it and walking around like it's a ****ing right for them to be playing for the team.

lol and I'm not even english but it pisses me off because the same thing happened to my country's team
    The thing about England which is funny is that Lampard, Terry, Rooney and Ferdinand are overrated compared to some of the younger but experienced young players such as Young and Milner. Is like what Jose Mourinho says “sometimes the best eggs does not make the best omelette”, bloody legendary quote mate, LOL. The experienced English players are not hungery. They need an Adams and Keown to mix with the current crop.

ReputationRep:
    We just keep losing potential future stars to European teams (Balotielli, Jerome Boateng etc). We're just annoyed. Allow us to vent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad4footie)
    We just keep losing potential future stars to European teams (Balotielli, Jerome Boateng etc). We're just annoyed. Allow us to vent.
    But it's different, he wasn't born in Ghana.

Completely and utterly different, you didn't 'lose' him to anyone, he was never yours.

ReputationRep:
    But it's different, he wasn't born in Ghana.

Completely and utterly different, you didn't 'lose' him to anyone, he was never yours.
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Ghana was definitely the better team then the Young lions, afterall the real lions are African

ReputationRep:
    What a great atmosphere it was, we partied and danced outside wembley until like 12 lol then on the tube home too.

And the thing about Welbeck is, it's a pride issue. Ghanaians are very proud, and very traditional too. It's rare to find someone of Ghanaian heritage who isn't proud to represent for their country, to visit often, speak well, hopefully return permanently at some stage in their life.

Which is why it's a little disappointing that Welbeck chose to play for England instead.

If we assume that he becomes a regular starter/squad player for England, of course he's more likely to play against the Spains, Brazils, Germany's in world competition. But he also puts himself up for more scrutiny, lack of recognition if he makes a mistake, or is part of a team that plays badly or whatever the case may be.

And that's assuming he's a regular choice I mean - Rooney, Defoe, Bent, Crouch, Carroll all take precedence over him and probably will continue to take precedence over him for a few years at least until after the Euros when Capello leaves, and perhaps even longer if any of the mentioned become irreplaceable in the squad.

For him to be Ghanaian and not want to play for Ghana is like slapping us in the face. Because we worship each and every one of our players, and yes we dont have the best facilities or arenas or whatever else. But if you play well in a team like Ghana your name will be remembered and commemorated in our history.

He's a native Ghanaian, place of birth doesn't matter. If the likes of Rooney or Wilshere was born in Germany, but were still of English heritage and identified themselves as English, spoke the language etc. I'm sure you'd be pissed if they played for Germany instead.

Plus over the years countless native Ghanaians (and other Africans) who were eligible to play for us but opted to play for their adopted-european country is just upsetting.
    It's like they are almost ashamed to wear the shirt. Desailly is an annoying example who speaks so proudly of Ghana and Africa as a whole, but chose to play for France instead amidst racsim and all sorts.

So thats why he got boo'd.
    I boo'd him too.
    But I was caught up in the atmosphere lol.

ReputationRep:
    He's English, with Ghanaian parents. Place of birth does, of course, matter. How you can say it doesn't I cannot fathom, tbpfh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2012
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.