Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

England vs Ghana, Int. friendly, 29/3/11, 20:00 watch

ReputationRep:
    I've also just read on the Beeb that he can still play for Ghana because it was only a friendly appearance :erm: I thought FIFA had ended all this nonsense and once a player had turned out for a nation, that was that.

More interesting than Welbeck is Kevin Prince Boateng, who lied to Ghanaian officials and gave false information from the Milan medical team to say he was injured so he didn't have to bother with the Congo trip, yet miraculously made his way to the training camp in London. Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he'll switch allegiances, tbh:

At international level Welbeck has represented England at under-16, under-17, under-18, under-19, under-21 and senior levels. He made his senior debut in March 2011 in a 1-1 friendly draw against Ghana.
    Why has it taken Ghana this long to attempt to play him? He's been well known for a few years now.....

ReputationRep:
    I just meant in general, FIFA were meant to have stopped all this switching nations rubbish. Even at U21 level a player should have made his mind up, anything below is fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    He's English, with Ghanaian parents. Place of birth does, of course, matter. How you can say it doesn't I cannot fathom, tbpfh.
    Like I said it's a pride thing, I don't expect you to fathom that.

I've spent the majority of my life here, (moved when I was 4) can't speak any ghanaian languages or dialects, speak with a real southern-surrey accent, been described as a "malteaser" - black on the outside, white inside, by pretty much everyone who knows me.

But I associate more with Ghana. I am Ghanaian. I couldn't even comprehend the idea of calling myself British, it just doesn't feel right.
    Being born to Ghanaian parents and having a Ghanaian family, I know just how much the culture and heritage is important to every single Ghanaian. Which is why it's disappointing that he'd rather be 5th choice striker for England than up front with Gyan pretty much every match.

And it hasn't taken this long for him to be recognised, we wanted him to play for us in the under 19's world cup that we won 2 years ago, and the previous african cup of nations but he basically said he was too young/inexperienced etc. and he hadn't made up his mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzzle)
    What a great atmosphere it was, we partied and danced outside wembley until like 12 lol then on the tube home too.

And the thing about Welbeck is, it's a pride issue. Ghanaians are very proud, and very traditional too. It's rare to find someone of Ghanaian heritage who isn't proud to represent for their country, to visit often, speak well, hopefully return permanently at some stage in their life.

Which is why it's a little disappointing that Welbeck chose to play for England instead.

If we assume that he becomes a regular starter/squad player for England, of course he's more likely to play against the Spains, Brazils, Germany's in world competition. But he also puts himself up for more scrutiny, lack of recognition if he makes a mistake, or is part of a team that plays badly or whatever the case may be.

And that's assuming he's a regular choice I mean - Rooney, Defoe, Bent, Crouch, Carroll all take precedence over him and probably will continue to take precedence over him for a few years at least until after the Euros when Capello leaves, and perhaps even longer if any of the mentioned become irreplaceable in the squad.

For him to be Ghanaian and not want to play for Ghana is like slapping us in the face. Because we worship each and every one of our players, and yes we dont have the best facilities or arenas or whatever else. But if you play well in a team like Ghana your name will be remembered and commemorated in our history.

He's a native Ghanaian, place of birth doesn't matter. If the likes of Rooney or Wilshere was born in Germany, but were still of English heritage and identified themselves as English, spoke the language etc. I'm sure you'd be pissed if they played for Germany instead.

Plus over the years countless native Ghanaians (and other Africans) who were eligible to play for us but opted to play for their adopted-european country is just upsetting.
    It's like they are almost ashamed to wear the shirt. Desailly is an annoying example who speaks so proudly of Ghana and Africa as a whole, but chose to play for France instead amidst racsim and all sorts.

So thats why he got boo'd.
    I boo'd him too.
    But I was caught up in the atmosphere lol.
    Wellbeck was born in England, raised as an English person and just happens to be of Ghanain descent.
    To boo a young man like that is a pathetic indictment on an otherwise great crowd.

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of booing, I couldn't tell how the national anthems went down. Anyone notice anything untoward from either section?

ReputationRep:
    Like I said it's a pride thing, I don't expect you to fathom that.

I've spent the majority of my life here, (moved when I was 4) can't speak any ghanaian languages or dialects, speak with a real southern-surrey accent, been described as a "malteaser" - black on the outside, white inside, by pretty much everyone who knows me.

But I associate more with Ghana. I am Ghanaian. I couldn't even comprehend the idea of calling myself British, it just doesn't feel right.
    Being born to Ghanaian parents and having a Ghanaian family, I know just how much the culture and heritage is important to every single Ghanaian. Which is why it's disappointing that he'd rather be 5th choice striker for England than up front with Gyan pretty much every match.

And it hasn't taken this long for him to be recognised, we wanted him to play for us in the under 19's world cup that we won 2 years ago, and the previous african cup of nations but he basically said he was too young/inexperienced etc. and he hadn't made up his mind.
    Yeah, I can't understand what pride is because I'm white, is it? Or is it because I'm Irish? Idiot.

Difference between you and Welbeck is that he was born in Manchester, to Ghanaian parents.

He's represented England at every level now, so perhaps he wants to give something back to the nation that helped his game, rather than one that tried to poach him for a tournament a few years ago. Since the World Cup Ghana have had four matches prior to the last two, was there an attempt to call him up for any of those?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Wellbeck was born in England, raised as an English person and just happens to be of Ghanain descent.
    To boo a young man like that is a pathetic indictment on an otherwise great crowd.
    That's up for debate considering he speaks the language, and regularly visits Ghana and engages in the traditions including eating traditional food, traditional clothing etc.

(Original post by Kevmeister)
    Yeah, I can't understand what pride is because I'm white, is it? Or is it because I'm Irish? Idiot.

Difference between you and Welbeck is that he was born in Manchester, to Ghanaian parents.

He's represented England at every level now, so perhaps he wants to give something back to the nation that helped his game, rather than one that tried to poach him for a tournament a few years ago. Since the World Cup Ghana have had four matches prior to the last two, was there an attempt to call him up for any of those?
    No, I was saying I dont expect you to fathom Ghanaian pride, just like I can't fathom Irish pride. That goes without saying.
    And name calling? lol Really? Okay.

Is there much of a difference? All my earliest memories are in England, we even holiday'd in England on a few occasions before eventually settling down. If it wasn't for my Ghanaian passport I would be in the exact same situation as Welbeck - in fact considering he actually speaks the language and at least looks Ghanaian he'd have a stronger case than me.

And no there wasn't an attempt primarily because he was injured, but also the squad was rotated due to club restrictions with the likes of Gyan, Ayew and KP-Boateng also not competing.

And theres a sense of bitterness about it because he has stated in the past that he would like to play for Ghana, but hasn't. Ghana don't have a competitive under-16 or under-18 squad. But our under -19, successful under 20 and under 21 have all asked him to play at some point to which he has refused.

Calm down, you're all taking this far too seriously.
    It was a hyped up atmosphere, we were losing at the time and everyone was highly energised.
    There's no remorse towards Welbeck - I think he's a fantastic player, I just wish I could admire him in a Ghanaian shirt as opposed to an English one.
    Surely, there's nothing wrong with that?
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to see my nation succeed with the best players that we can have?
    Lol isn't that what all football fans want at the end of the day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshyy)
    Ghana fans pissed me right off. To boo a young player like Welbeck on his first ever appearance for the country where he was BORN is well out.

Plus 90% of them were probably born or live in England anyway, so all the talk about their numbers is equally boring.

EDIT: And i don't mean that in the 'i'm racist and there's too many africans in england' way that TSR will no doubt spin it. Lets face it, it's a fact that a lot of the 'Ghanians' there tonight were born or live in england.
    My thoughts also. It's amusing/embarrassing how many Africans there are in this country who will take offence if you say they are not English - yet when it comes to showdowns like England vs Ghana they show their true colours. Booing Danny Welbeck is just ironic. Someone who was born and raised in this country just as alot of the Ghanian fans were and they boo him for representing that country and not his original country of Ghana. Literally a mirror image of themselves. It's like they want to milk as much as they can out of England for their own benefit. Embarrassing and cringeworthy.

ReputationRep:
    I was at Wembley and boooo'd Welbeck and I would do it again.
    I don't know why some people are getting all heated up, Welbeck knew what was going to happen when he came on the pitch.

I was born and raised in England, and so were my parents, either way if I was a footballer, no doubt who I would be playing for.

Africans in general are very very proud people, you can find Africans everywhere in the world, who may not even have visited, but are still incredibly proud and patriotic.

We were just booing for the sake of it, of course we are dissapointed but at they end of the day we don't care too much, we have a great youth system in Ghana, and Welbeck will be replaced easily.

At the end of the day if his career with England isn't succesful he will have to live with that.

ReputationRep:
    And the thing about Welbeck is, it's a pride issue. Ghanaians are very proud, and very traditional too. It's rare to find someone of Ghanaian heritage who isn't proud to represent for their country, to visit often, speak well, hopefully return permanently at some stage in their life.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl2: :rofl2: :toofunny:

I can!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadelAdele)
    I don't know why some people are getting all heated up, Welbeck knew what was going to happen when he came on the pitch.

I was born and raised in England, and so were my parents, either way if I was a footballer, no doubt who I would be playing for.

Africans in general are very very proud people, you can find Africans everywhere in the world, who may not even have visited, but are still incredibly proud and patriotic.

We were just booing for the sake of it, of course we are dissapointed but at they end of the day we don't care too much, we have a great youth system in Ghana, and Welbeck will be replaced easily.

At the end of the day if his career with England isn't succesful he will have to live with that.
    You are an English person who happens to have African descent. To claim otherwise is rather ridiculous considering both of your parents were born here.

Regardless of whether you eat Ghanain food or want to live there when you are older as well before you start being childish.

ReputationRep:
    Bit late but just have to say the Ghanians really are fantastic.
    Felt let down before the game because the likes of Rooney, Lampard etc... were released. Tbh it made it a better game.
    We were sat virtually next to the Ghana fans which was great and me and most of the fans around us were cheering when Gyan wriggled his way through.
    Before the game the Ghana fans put out a bit of a spectacle as the team buses came through and the cheers were deafening once the Ghana bus started to pull in. Was funny to see how miserable the England players looked. After the game the Ghana fans were parting like no tommorow with drums coming from left right and centre.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why some people are getting all heated up
    Actually English fans have no opinion of Welbeck, he has been solid but not extraordinary this season. The Ghanaians have blown this up out of all proportion, noone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    You are an English person who happens to have African descent. To claim otherwise is rather ridiculous considering both of your parents were born here.

Regardless of whether you eat Ghanain food or want to live there when you are older as well before you start being childish.
    If someone asked me where I was from, I would say Ghana not England. When I go to Ghana I feel more appreciated than here in England, where whenever I venture outside of London people stare at me as though they don't know black people exist.

Just because you are born somewhere, it doesn't mean you identify with the country.... I don't even know why we are talking about this tbh.

(Original post by Colbert)
    The Ghanaians have blown this up out of all proportion, noone else.
    If you go back on the thread, you will see who started this topic of conversation snm

ReputationRep:
    If you go back on the thread, you will see who started this topic of conversation snm
    Yes, Lizzzle did. A Ghanaian :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    ASAMOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2012
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.