Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The universe is constructed in such a way that everything can be termed as "variable". Nothing can be accepted as a given, nothing set in stone.

Nothing, except the fact that food of any description can have its taste amplified, its deliciousness enhanced, by being placed between two slices of bread.

Hey, don't argue. Don't shoot the messenger. It's universal law.

But what, in your opinion, makes the absolute, number one, ultimate pinnacle of sandwich perfection? Which bread do you use? Toasted? Spreaded? Filled with what? And how to serve? These are all questions that make our journey to Sandwich Nirvana an odyssey which requires fastidious attention.

ReputationRep:
    Granary bread. Bacon. Chicken. Guacamole.

OR bread made with olive oil and sun dried tomatoes with tuna, light mayonaise and some pesto. Both with some generic salad.

Failing that a simple club.

ReputationRep:
    fishfingers in white bread with thousand island sauce.. or chip butty with lots of butter and ketchup in white bread.
    but for a normal sandwich, granary bread, hummus, ham, cheese and salad. yumyumyum.

also, cheesy mashed potato goes amazingly well in a sandwich.. discovered that while i was drunk!

ReputationRep:
    Homemade white loaf, cut thickly whilst still warm. Lump of lurpak melting into the fresh and hot dough. Crispy rashers of bacon, and a fried egg with a melting yolk. A few crunchy lettuce leaves and some slices of sweet roasted tomato. Heaven.

Or, if I'm feeling a bit of protein.......

ReputationRep:
    Fish finger sammiches. 'Nuff said. :sogood:

My mum likes squirting loads of salad cream on her bread. Nothing else, just salad cream. Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    Baguette, brie, tomato, basil, vinaigrette

ReputationRep:
    Tuna mayo with sweetcorn and cucumber, white bread, butter. That's all. Nothing fancy, just classical, calorific goodness.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    This thread reminds me of the sandwiches featured in...

(Original post by lukas1051)
    I disagree. Jelly? Ice cream? Pineapple? Chocolate? Pasta?

Also, do you have a fetish for food or something?
    My siblings have bread with their pasta, as does my dad, and prefer it that way. The rest, well, desserts can be excluded. There's always an exception, right?

ReputationRep:
    My ultimate sandwich:

Large baguette
    Mayonnaise
    Chicken
    Herb Stuffing
    Coleslaw
    Potato Salad
    Ham
    Grated Cheddar

Fills you up for the week.

For something simple:
    Brown sliced bread
    Potato Salad
    Corned beef

or

Brown bread
    Mayonnaise
    Boiled Egg

ReputationRep:
    Frankfurters and ketchup

ReputationRep:
    Give me a yoaky egg in bread in any day. Maybe with crispy bacon too
    Otherwise i'll settle for a cheddar cheese in crusty white bread....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Contrad!ction.)

My mum likes squirting loads of salad cream on her bread. Nothing else, just salad cream. Ugh.
    can't help but think of that in a dirty way :lol:

sorry!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    oh babe, YES

ReputationRep:
    peanut butter and jam

grilled humus and roast red pepper

goats cheese, caramelised onion, salad, tomato

ReputationRep:
    Bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise on half-toasted white bread; beef and horseradish on granary; chicken mayonnaise and coriander on granary; sausage and ketchup on white bread; chip butties. It all depends on my mood, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there's three or four combinations which I particularly love. In no particular order:

- Egg mayonnaise with crispy bacon and iceburg lettuce

- Chicken, pesto, rocket and sundried tomatoes

- Tuna mayonnaise with sweetcorn, red pepper, small pieces of raw red onion, and iceburg lettuce

- Cream cheese with loads of smoked salmon

All the above would ideally be on lovely soft thick homemade white bread with a slight amount of butter spread on thinly.

EDIT: I completely forgot - grilled bacon with the fat cut off or crisped up. I love the way the bacon juices soak into the bread Just bacon is good enough for me, I hate ketchup and mayo etc. aren't needed.

Four things which I will never put into my own sandwich are ketchup, mustard (apart from mustard seeds in honey & mustard mayo), raw tomato, and pickle of any kind.

ReputationRep:
    I dont really have a favourite sandwich but one that sticks out is brie and bacon

Also the bread has to be cut diagonally to create 2 triangles. It automatically makes nicer

ReputationRep:
    white bread peanut butter & jam
    white bread warm chicken lettuce & mayo
    White bream hot bacon or sausge or both with mayo
    Toasted sandwich cheese and tomato
    Toasted sandwich cheese and marmite
    Toasted sandwich cheese and baked beans

Has to be good bread! x

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.