Turn on thread page Beta

Sandwiches: An Odyssey of Bready Brilliance watch

ReputationRep:
    Grilled bacon, fried egg with a runny yolk and ketchup between lightly buttered granary bread.
    OR
    Onion bagel spread with butter with crispy grilled bacon, scrambled egg, a slice of cheese thin enough to melt into the bagel sandwich and ketchup.
    OR
    chicken (grilled or roast or breadcrumbed), a sweet onion or chilli sauce, iceberg lettuce, cucumber, sweetcorn and red onion on lightly buttered granary bread.
    OR
    Roast chicken and pork stuffing with bread sauce on granary bread.

Oh I fancy a sandwich right now...

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. I REPEAT NOTHING beats... a bacon sandwich cooked to perfection. With slightly toasted bread, so it still has it's flexibility but with a slight crunch. Instead, three rashers of thick bacon, with crispyness around it, because two makes the sandwich feel empty. And don't forget HP sauce. Heaven.

ReputationRep:
    Brown, seeded.

ReputationRep:
    Recipie for awsome:
    -1 mini Ciabatta
    - Half a tomato
    - Salami
    - Fresh Basil
    - Mozzarella
    - Pepper
    - maybe olives

Slice the ciabatta in half, drizzle some olive oil on the bread.
    Add a few slices of salami, then some mozzarella, some olives if you fancy next with a sprinkle of pepper.
    Put under a grill/in oven high temp with empty half till cheese is melted and salami starting to curl.
    Chop the tomato quite small and slice up the basil, add to the sandwich.

Eat.
    Recover from foodgasm.

ReputationRep:
    I am absolutely endeared to the thought some people have an exact art to an ultimate sandwich; it makes it all the more fascinating for me to want to try some of your concoctions!

I personally find so may combinations amazing that I can't hold down a single sandwich hero, but the combo of prawns and coleslaw, cheese and red onion, tuna and mixed peppers... so awesome that I cannot pinpoint my ultimate sandwich.

ReputationRep:
    For me I have a few that I really love, some of which are a bit strange!

A weird one- Cheese, Cucumber and Brown Sauce!

As for more classic combos; I'm a massive fan of the cheese and bean toastie :cool:

Also Crisp sandwiches! Or adding crisps to any existing sandwich!

ReputationRep:
    Cheese, honey ham, bacon, lettuce, mayo on a slightly crusty baguette. Oh damn.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to taste the contents, then it has to be white bread. If the bread is fresh, then toasting it is pure sacriledge.

As for fillings, well they need to have a good texture - you need a bit of crunch, and a bit of moisture - but something chewy is a no go - you will pull your sandwich to bits trying to take a bite. (Thats why steak sandwiches are so often a disappointment.)

You also need plenty of flavour. I would probably recommend a maximum of three or four complementary ingredients, otherwise some of the flavours will be lost. Using hot ingredients also excites the flavour molecules, making your sandwich considerably more compelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    If you want to taste the contents, then it has to be white bread. If the bread is fresh, then toasting it is pure sacriledge.

As for fillings, well they need to have a good texture - you need a bit of crunch, and a bit of moisture - but something chewy is a no go - you will pull your sandwich to bits trying to take a bite. (Thats why steak sandwiches are so often a disappointment.)

You also need plenty of flavour. I would probably recommend a maximum of three or four complementary ingredients, otherwise some of the flavours will be lost. Using hot ingredients also excites the flavour molecules, making your sandwich considerably more compelling.
    I agree with most of your points but reckon it's mostly opinion; I believe a complimentary filling on a brown bread sandwich can be superior, thanks to the rougher texture and more malty, wheaty flavour on the back of the tongue providing a richer experience that doesn't detract. Depends on the filling though; it truly has to be strong enough to sit parallel to the taste of the brown/granary, like the strong flavour of tuna with peppers/onion, perhaps. Brown bread would work far less effectively with a more muted flavour like, say, turkey.

I view it like the same balance you have to be conscious with in chocolate. For example, with dark chocolate, pink peppercorns or chilli are a good combo, but more muted flavours that work well in milk chocolate like some gentler-tasting fruits or unsalted caramel would ultimately be overpowered.

Sandwich making - what an art!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    I agree with most of your points but reckon it's mostly opinion; I believe a complimentary filling on a brown bread sandwich can be superior, thanks to the rougher texture and more malty, wheaty flavour on the back of the tongue providing a richer experience that doesn't detract. Depends on the filling though; it truly has to be strong enough to sit parallel to the taste of the brown/granary, like the strong flavour of tuna with peppers/onion, perhaps. Brown bread would work far less effectively with a more muted flavour like, say, turkey.

I view it like the same balance you have to be conscious with in chocolate. For example, with dark chocolate, pink peppercorns or chilli are a good combo, but more muted flavours that work well in milk chocolate like some gentler-tasting fruits or unsalted caramel would ultimately be overpowered.

Sandwich making - what an art!
    All excellent points sir.

I think I will go and get a sandwich now (well a panini technically). Fresh chicken breast, crispy bacon, melted mature cheddar cheese and brown sauce.

ReputationRep:
    Brown granary/crusty bread (slightly warmed and toasted), Quorn ham thing, cheese, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, salad cream...

There's also this cheese and tomato baguette I get whenever I'm at a train station from Uppercrust. I'm not a fan of mayo at all, but the thin spread of seasoned mayo they use in the sandwich is SO good.

Nom nom nom.

ReputationRep:
    Bacon and fried egg on white bread is amazing!

And chicken and stuffing is too, especially from co-op! So, so good.

ReputationRep:
    Hats off to tesco for their Chicken and Bacon....

ReputationRep:
    I lurve sandwiches. It's hard to choose my favourite!

- ham, mayo and red onion on toasted wholemeal
    - tuna, mayo, lettuce and red onion on toasted wholemeal
    - bacon and egg with ketchup on, you guessed it, toasted wholemeal

I could eat each one of those right now, one after the other :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    This thread reminds me of the sandwiches featured in...

My siblings have bread with their pasta, as does my dad, and prefer it that way. The rest, well, desserts can be excluded. There's always an exception, right?
    Can you class chocolate spread and banana a dessert?

OMG smoosh up a cheescake and put it in brioche. nom!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I forgot about two more sandwich combinations which I love. Once again, it's ideally on soft white homemade bread.

- Chicken mayonnaise, sweetcorn and crispy bacon

- Chicken mayonnaise and stuffing

ReputationRep:
    Mmmmm, sandwiches.

One piece of fresh bread (preferably a Tiger loaf) with peanut butter, 20 seconds in the microwave. Perfect.
    Same with Marmite, also perfect.

A fried egg sandwich, as long as the yolk is not too sunny.

Mashed potato on bread (again, preferably crusty bread) is actually lovely. And I quite like pasta in a sandwich too. Or just a bit of Parmesan on crusty bread!

And tuna mayonnaise with some onion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)

Are you a sandwich artist? (do you work at subway I mean)

ReputationRep:
    Seedy bread or Tiger bread

Just a big thick piece of cheese in between will do.

Or Cheese and lettuce and maybe onions .

ReputationRep:
    Fo op, now I am even hungrier than I was.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.