Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hate to say that I am usually very boring and just have cheese and butter.

However.....

A Subway made up of italian bread with cheese and chicken breast, no sauce - awesome
    Plus, cheese and ham toastie/panini

But I think a McChicken Sandwich is perfect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Are you a sandwich artist? (do you work at subway I mean)
    No, I guess I just really like sandwiches.

ReputationRep:
    White bread. Ham. Grilled cheddar cheese. Fried egg.

Heaven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulofanewmachine)
    White bread. Ham. Grilled cheddar cheese. Fried egg.

Heaven.
    any condiments or seasonings? black pepper? salt? tabasco sauce? ketchup?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    any condiments or seasonings? black pepper? salt? tabasco sauce? ketchup?
    Unnecessary, if you ask me. It's gooey loveliness on its own. Pepper might spice things up a bit though, if you're into that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulofanewmachine)
    Unnecessary, if you ask me. It's gooey loveliness on its own. Pepper might spice things up a bit though, if you're into that.
    I am definitely into that. I must admit to being very partial to a spot of well judged seasoning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m:)ckel)
    Frankfurters and ketchup
    ...reminds me of stopping for lunch whilst skiing in france in one of those cafes where you get hot dogs with frankfurters and ketchup and fries.

ReputationRep:
    There is a shop in my country that makes club sandwiches but instead of bread uses fluffy pitta! They are delicious.

http://www.pittapappou.gr/photos/menu/PITTA-CLUB.jpg

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend makes the best cheese salad sandwiches and I mean the best. Other cheese sandwiches are boring, his are king.

Otherwise most sandwiches on good bread will win me over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clo-clo1)
    My boyfriend makes the best cheese salad sandwiches and I mean the best. Other cheese sandwiches are boring, his are king.

Otherwise most sandwiches on good bread will win me over

Would you care to share the magic ingredients? I presume its not just cheese and lettuce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Would you care to share the magic ingredients? I presume its not just cheese and lettuce.
    Cheese, lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber, jalapenos, tiny bit of mayo, tiny bit of hot sauce(sometimes) and pepper.

Although I make them and they taste bland so maybe he adds some cocaine or something.

ReputationRep:
    In general, do people prefer a crustier or softer bread for their sandwiches? I mean, for example, a french baguette or pain au Levain has a tough exterior but a very doughy interior, but isn't "crusty" per se, like tiger bread.

Tiger bread has a real crust to it, but a denser inner bread, much like sourdough.

Whereas a ciabatta, for example, has a more consistent tough crust which permeates through the bread itself, but is more dry and porous than the chewier Foccacia. Then you get glazed, even denser, chewy breads like bagels.

Then there's your simple pan loaves and the far denser, chewier Scottish Plain loaf which offer a much softer bread; leading onto sweeter, more "cakey" brioches, and then extremely soft roll-based breads.

Personally, I find the absolute best for sandwiches to be extremely soft bread/rolls with a bit of extra textured coating, like Marks and Spencer's soft submarine rolls (which are dusted in cornmeal) when the filling contains a more muted flavour like some cooked meats. When flavours of a filling are more robust, I tend to favour the denser, chewier breads (but not crusty) which tend to have yeastier flavours.

ReputationRep:
    Ciabatta is the winning bread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Well, there's three or four combinations which I particularly love. In no particular order:

- Egg mayonnaise with crispy bacon and iceburg lettuce

- Chicken, pesto, rocket and sundried tomatoes

- Tuna mayonnaise with sweetcorn, red pepper, small pieces of raw red onion, and iceburg lettuce

- Cream cheese with loads of smoked salmon

All the above would ideally be on lovely soft thick homemade white bread with a slight amount of butter spread on thinly.

EDIT: I completely forgot - grilled bacon with the fat cut off or crisped up. I love the way the bacon juices soak into the bread Just bacon is good enough for me, I hate ketchup and mayo etc. aren't needed.

Four things which I will never put into my own sandwich are ketchup, mustard (apart from mustard seeds in honey & mustard mayo), raw tomato, and pickle of any kind.
    Haha, you just reminded me of a Black Books episode where Bill Bailey is complaining about doing all the work, then Dylan Moran says, "...why do you always have to make the bacon so curly?". Cue explosion!

Cough, anyway - a peanut butter and banana sandwich is quite yummy for breakfast sometimes. I'm Coeliac so crappy bread for me. I used to like sausage sandwich but haven't had one in years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    Haha, you just reminded me of a Black Books episode where Bill Bailey is complaining about doing all the work, then Dylan Moran says, "...why do you always have to make the bacon so curly?". Cue explosion!

Cough, anyway - a peanut butter and banana sandwich is quite yummy for breakfast sometimes. I'm Coeliac so crappy bread for me. I used to like sausage sandwich but haven't had one in years!
    Hmm, I've never seen that but I imagine it would be pretty funny

ReputationRep:
    Bread is the worst part of the sandwich. That's why I use the Tracy Jordan Meat Machine.

But no, in all seriousness, white bread, Pastrami, Leerdammer, Iceberg lettuce, bit of reggae reggae sauce and a splash of Tabasco. Delicious.

Or, a toasted bagel with bacon and fried egg, and some reggae reggae sauce.

ReputationRep:
    Another great combo is a mixture of cultures; equal parts roast beef and pastrami on a soft rye bread, sprinkling of ground caraway on top of that, then topped with both mooli radish shreds and caramelised onions, with english mustard. Think of it as the perfect mixture of a pastrami-on-rye and a steak-and-horseradish.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I don't want to blow anyone's head off or anything but hear me out...

...what happens if...you make a sandwich....and then put that sandwich inside a sandwich? and then even that sandwich inside another sandwich? at what point does the "true" sandwich start and end? do we start talking of alternative sandwiches? would the definitions be changed in different dimensions?

I'm e-mailing Stephen Hawking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Tiger bread has a real crust to it, but a denser inner bread, much like sourdough.
    I got a tiger bread baguette from tesco. Filled it with lettuce, cucumber, mayo, edam, honey ham, and this amazing yorkshire extra mature cheddar. It was the best sandwich I've eaten in years. It was absolutely 100% perfection. :sogood:

Tiger bread :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Another great combo is a mixture of cultures; .
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo :nooo:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.