Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sandwiches: An Odyssey of Bready Brilliance watch

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, olive bread with some houmous, sun dried tomatoes and some lettuce, oh and loads of black pepper
    Pretty simple.

ReputationRep:
    My ultimate sandwich is a slightly odd combination:

Brown bread, cream cheese, frankfurter, bovril and cucumber.

Although cream cheese and smoked salmon is :sogood: too.

ReputationRep:
    Seeded bread, crunchy peanut butter and sliced, ripe, juicy pear.
    Mmmmmmmm.....

ReputationRep:
    Now onto a touchy subject; Prepacked sandwiches. I personally quite like some prepacked sandwiches, but as with all things, they are not all equal. Some are insipid, bland, or needlessly unhealthy, but some have their merits to the point where you think "man, I wish I could prepare ingredient X like this at home for MY sandwiches!"

Of course, some are not good or bad - but just SACRILEGE, that I'd NEVER buy pre-packed - such as:

There is NO WAY this can be as good as I can make at home;

Wh... cold prepacked lasagne sandwich?!

Utterly pointless... unless there was GENUINELY no physical way I could combine a bit of bread with a portion of jam manually. Which is pretty much never.

ReputationRep:
    I just like plain cheese sandwiches. Does the job.
    Or a BLT, with the bacon slightly warm.
    Always on granary/wholemeal bread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Now onto a touchy subject; Prepacked sandwiches. I personally quite like some prepacked sandwiches, but as with all things, they are not all equal. Some are insipid, bland, or needlessly unhealthy, but some have their merits to the point where you think "man, I wish I could prepare ingredient X like this at home for MY sandwiches!"

Of course, some are not good or bad - but just SACRILEGE, that I'd NEVER buy pre-packed - such as:

There is NO WAY this can be as good as I can make at home;

Wh... cold prepacked lasagne sandwich?!

Utterly pointless... unless there was GENUINELY no physical way I could combine a bit of bread with a portion of jam manually. Which is pretty much never.
    I don't get sliced ham pre-pack at all. I'm quite capable of opening a pack of ham, putting it between two slices of bread and cutting it into triangles..and I'd probably be a lot less shrewd with my ham too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)

I have never found a prepacked sandwich that is even borderline pleasant. I simply don't understand why people eat them, its not like they're even particularly cheap. Why not go to the sandwich shop next door and get something freshly made?

What is this ingredient X that you feel unable to prepare at home?

ReputationRep:
    I HATE pre-packed sandwiches. HATE. With a big fat passion.

^ for that precise reason. It looks disgusting. I don't like the look of the meat, it looks like its a piece of plastic rolled up and has been sat on a shelf for a few years. The only pre packed sandwiches that I like are the M&S ones.

I think they are made fresher, they taste fresher, they don't load it with mayo, and they also do quite a bit for people who have allergies.

I think pre packed sandwiches are good for people who have allergy problems, because the food they have to buy to make the sandwiches probably cost as much as buying a sandwich ready made. I also think theyre okay if you are wanting to try out an ingredient you havent before, such as chorizo or something. But I really dont think theres any excuse why someone cant buy a couple of chicken breasts, bit of salad, load of bread and make a weeks worth of lunches at home, freshly made and way cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    cheese salad ploughmans
    brie,grape and cranberry
    hummus, cucumber and tomatoes

all on granary mmm

ReputationRep:
    Chicken breast or Italian BMT both from Subway :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)

^ for that precise reason. It looks disgusting. I don't like the look of the meat, it looks like its a piece of plastic rolled up and has been sat on a shelf for a few years. The only pre packed sandwiches that I like are the M&S ones.

I think they are made fresher, they taste fresher, they don't load it with mayo, and they also do quite a bit for people who have allergies.

I think pre packed sandwiches are good for people who have allergy problems, because the food they have to buy to make the sandwiches probably cost as much as buying a sandwich ready made. I also think theyre okay if you are wanting to try out an ingredient you havent before, such as chorizo or something. But I really dont think theres any excuse why someone cant buy a couple of chicken breasts, bit of salad, load of bread and make a weeks worth of lunches at home, freshly made and way cheaper.
    In response to py0alb's post, this pretty much summarises it. Sometimes the unique or obscure nature of the ingredients lend it well to the likes of Marks and Spencer pre-packed sandwiches which favour quite delicious and exotic ingredients. Sometimes you don't want to buy up a quarter of Italian salami or a full portion of black olives but fancy them on a sandwich, and that's when I instantly think pre-packed is the way to go. Marks and Spencer are the absolute pioneers (and this is a literal term as Marks and Spencer were the first to ever offer pre-packed sandwiches) in sandwich, so I agree wholeheartedly with insignificant's post.

However I'd never buy a simple cheese or egg sandwich prepacked; I'm not only too much of a miser for it, but I'm under the belief my own efforts are superior for less expense.

ReputationRep:
    Smoked salmon, garlic and herb cream cheese, black olives, lemon juice and raw baby spinach in a crusty baguette.

It sounds weird but it is amazing. Honestly :yep:

ReputationRep:
    A plain prawn sandwich just like the pic, except without the rocket.

failing that a ham and hard yolked fried egg sandwich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)

The ham sandwiches always remind me of vaginas, but that just might be me. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Invidious, I love a prawn sandwich and I have particular respect for you for the reason that you specified prawns alone; I hate when prawns are doused in mayonnaise that popular taste-murdering manner.

ReputationRep:

Crayfish sandwiches taste better then prawn sandwiches imo.
    Less watery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)

Crayfish sandwiches taste better then prawn sandwiches imo.
    Less watery.
    What is crayfish!? I saw it on Iron Chef America and wondered if it were just their term for prawn, as they like to re-name things. I mean, eggplant? REALLY? It's aubergine mate. But yeah, then it didn't look totally like prawn! So I got confused..:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    What is crayfish!? I saw it on Iron Chef America and wondered if it were just their term for prawn, as they like to re-name things. I mean, eggplant? REALLY? It's aubergine mate. But yeah, then it didn't look totally like prawn! So I got confused..:rolleyes:

Basically, they're mini lobsters that live in bayous/wetlands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)

Basically, they're mini lobsters that live in bayous/wetlands.
    Er, well, they look..pretty? But if they taste like lobster, YES YES YES

ReputationRep:
    A sandwich so brilliant, universities thought what shall we call the year out for work experience.
    It's a brilliant year so lets name it after a brilliant thing.

The Sandwich!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.