Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ive recently got given an offer from Warwick university for a 4 year physics degree. I really didn't expect the offer so don't really know anything about the university could anyone give me an insight to what it is actually like as a student at Warwick university?
    Such as :
    Hows the nightlife, is it a friendly environment, accommodation, graduate prospects any information would be brilliant.
    Also if any physics students could also tell me what the labs, lecturers are like there it would also be a huge help
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Doctor. SW)
    Hi Ive recently got given an offer from Warwick university for a 4 year physics degree. I really didn't expect the offer so don't really know anything about the university could anyone give me an insight to what it is actually like as a student at Warwick university?
    Such as :
    Hows the nightlife, is it a friendly environment, accommodation, graduate prospects any information would be brilliant.
    Also if any physics students could also tell me what the labs, lecturers are like there it would also be a huge help
    Thanks.
    Nightlife = SU is a bit rubbish but a night out in birmingham/leam/coventry can be fun
    Friendly environment = Yes, but to me it feels a bit too institutionalised. Some people are absolutely lovely though
    Accomodation = Depends which you get, AV, JM, Heronbank, Lakeside are the better ones.. Old rootes and the lot are absolutely rubbish to be honest.
    Graduate prospects = brilliant

ReputationRep:
    Such as :
    Thanks.
    i've got an offer for 'engineering busineess management' at warwick! i can always change this to pure mechanical eng if i want, so its primarily an offer for engineering at warwick. what do guys think is warwick any good for engineering?
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Some people take to campus life and some don't- it is really best to visit to know for sure. Personally I found Warwick to be a bit like an academy and the idea of being in the middle of nowhere was quite unappealing. The nightlife at the uni is pretty much non-existent but if you are willing to travel to near by Birmingham you can still have a good night out. The big plus point of Warwick is that it has an excellent reputation (especially for Maths+Economics)- they have many careers fairs/talks so lots of opportunities to meet employers and shape your future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ammarnkhan)
    i've got an offer for 'engineering busineess management' at warwick! i can always change this to pure mechanical eng if i want, so its primarily an offer for engineering at warwick. what do guys think is warwick any good for engineering?
    Cheers.
    It's okay, nothing special at all. But of course the brand 'Warwick' is great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluctant Economist)
    Nightlife = SU is a bit rubbish but a night out in birmingham/leam/coventry can be fun
    Friendly environment = Yes, but to me it feels a bit too institutionalised. Some people are absolutely lovely though
    Accomodation = Depends which you get, AV, JM, Heronbank, Lakeside are the better ones.. Old rootes and the lot are absolutely rubbish to be honest.

Do you mind expanding on the places you were referring to for accommodation? I'll be attending Warwick this year, and I'm a bit clueless in this regard. Since I am going to be an international student, it's really hard for me to gage what my best options are. I've been thinking Kenilworth since it's closest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilnikkita)
    Do you mind expanding on the places you were referring to for accommodation? I'll be attending Warwick this year, and I'm a bit clueless in this regard. Since I am going to be an international student, it's really hard for me to gage what my best options are. I've been thinking Kenilworth since it's closest.
    Oh, are you thinking about off-campus accommodations? I am talking about on-campus accommodation. Not too sure about off-campus stuff, I am living in Leamington Spa next year, though, but I have heard that kenilworth is really good (but a bit boring) not talking from personal experience though! :O

ReputationRep:
    Oh, are you thinking about off-campus accommodations? I am talking about on-campus accommodation. Not too sure about off-campus stuff, I am living in Leamington Spa next year, though, but I have heard that kenilworth is really good (but a bit boring) not talking from personal experience though! :O
    Oh yeah, I probably should have mentioned I'm looking at off campus as well! (ha) I plan on being completely irrational and crazy by bringing my dog with me, so on campus isn't an option. The snobby side of me says that on campus would be less ideal, however cheaper in comparison. I know someone who lived in Leamington Spa. Would you say it's more student-oriented (in reference to age group)?

ReputationRep:
    Is the nightlife really rubbish , thats not good I've firmed it now.
    What would you say are the best point about the university ?

ReputationRep:
    I know it feels a bit discouraging to enter a university that doesn't have much options outside campus, but what is the whole point of university in the first place? It's to get educated, so keep reminding yourself that you will be entering a great school and receive a strong education. (That is what I'm doing.)

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I probably should have mentioned I'm looking at off campus as well! (ha) I plan on being completely irrational and crazy by bringing my dog with me, so on campus isn't an option. The snobby side of me says that on campus would be less ideal, however cheaper in comparison. I know someone who lived in Leamington Spa. Would you say it's more student-oriented (in reference to age group)?
    I would recommend getting on-campus for the first year, helps with coming to grips with everything, unless you are bringing your car. Frankly, busing it everyday is not so fun when you have to do it daily! :P Also, you will want to be on campus late for fresher stuff.

Certain areas in Leamington are 'retirement/old' people places but majority of the student homes will be around each other If you are looking at Leamington, North would be better, preferably near the top of the parade. Kenilworth is supposedly the place where the professors live. I am not too sure about it....

ReputationRep:
    Strong points = Societies and sports clubs.
    Weak points = On-campus events at night (parties, etc) are rubbish but you get to go to different places (Kasbah, Smash, Gatecrashers, etc) using the uni-express. So its not that bad. I would say its more about the people you hang out with then the places you go to... A great set of friends can make a rubbish night out brilliant. Keep that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Such as :
    Thanks.
    im a warwick physics finalist and i could help u with this question!

nightlife is great. a really good campus feeling..u dont have to go far to go to a good club, the su (copper rooms) is brilliant and spacy. also, u can go kasbah/evolve in cov or smack in leam. there are other places too .

physics dept is mostly friendly. a few are loud/childish/annoying in my year but most are very nice if u take the initiative to talk to them. some may be reluctant to speak but thats physicists for u.
    lecturers are friendly and most are adorable.
    labs is hell..most people hate labs. but that's a general thing amongst physics students across the globe. in your final year, u can choose a theoretical/computational project instead of an experimental one if that's your preference

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend getting on-campus for the first year, helps with coming to grips with everything, unless you are bringing your car. Frankly, busing it everyday is not so fun when you have to do it daily! :P Also, you will want to be on campus late for fresher stuff.

Certain areas in Leamington are 'retirement/old' people places but majority of the student homes will be around each other If you are looking at Leamington, North would be better, preferably near the top of the parade. Kenilworth is supposedly the place where the professors live. I am not too sure about it....

Thanks for the information! I doubt I could bring my car on the plane with me from the US, haha. Anyway I plan on getting a bike and riding it everywhere. Also, I will be in a one year postgrad program, so I'll have to take a closer look at Leamington.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilustrius)
    It's okay, nothing special at all. But of course the brand 'Warwick' is great.
    Why has this post been +ve repped?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...eering-general
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=8727
    (Go to general engineering)

Please do some research before making mindless posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrengineer)
    Why has this post been +ve repped?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...eering-general
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=8727
    (Go to general engineering)

Please do some research before making mindless posts.
    It isn't an established Engineering school. Never said it's bad, it's just nothing special. It's certainly no Cambridge, Imperial College, Bath, Bristol or Southampton for Engineering. Have a look at the ranking criteria, as a member of this forum it's a shame that you're not yet accustomed to the consensus that rankings are unreliable.

I'm a second year Engineering student, so my post wasn't exactly 'mindless', and I don't really need to do any supplementary research when I've been in regular contact with some of the world's best engineering professors.

I know for a fact that Warwick's engineering school is pretty much an unknown quantity, and certainly isn't as reputable as Cambridge, Imperial College, Bath, Bristol or Southampton. In comparison to many of Warwick's other schools, it is mediocre.

It isn't bad at all. In fact it's good. But it isn't exceptional, at least for now.

EDIT: You're still in secondary school and predicted only ABB.. I can understand why you're so defensive about Warwick's Engineering school now. Seeing as you meet their low entry standards.

And you think you know more about Engineering schools than me. Just Rofl. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Massive thread here to aid you with your accommodation hunt.

Try to live on campus first year if you can.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't an established Engineering school. Never said it's bad, it's just nothing special. It's certainly no Cambridge, Imperial College, Bath, Bristol or Southampton for Engineering. Have a look at the ranking criteria, as a member of this forum it's a shame that you're not yet accustomed to the consensus that rankings are unreliable.

I'm a second year Engineering student, so my post wasn't exactly 'mindless', and I don't really need to do any supplementary research when I've been in regular contact with some of the world's best engineering professors.

I know for a fact that Warwick's engineering school is pretty much an unknown quantity, and certainly isn't as reputable as Cambridge, Imperial College, Bath, Bristol or Southampton. In comparison to many of Warwick's other schools, it is mediocre.

It isn't bad at all. In fact it's good. But it isn't exceptional, at least for now.

EDIT: You're still in secondary school and predicted only ABB.. I can understand
    why you're so defensive about Warwick's Engineering school now. Seeing as you meet their low entry standards.

And you think you know more about Engineering schools than me. Just Rofl. :rolleyes:
    I also found that the Engineering/Science departments at Warwick weren't anything special. My parents were pushing me into choosing Warwick because the uni name is v. respected, but the department for Biochemistry is much better at Sheffield uni (where I'm going).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    I also found that the Engineering/Science departments at Warwick weren't anything special. My parents were pushing me into choosing Warwick because the uni name is v. respected, but the department for Biochemistry is much better at Sheffield uni (where I'm going).
    They might not be particularly strong in Engineering or Biochemistry. But don't get me wrong, they have very strong Maths and Physics departments (amongst the best in the country).

ReputationRep:
    They might not be particularly strong in Engineering or Biochemistry. But don't get me wrong, they have very strong Maths and Physics departments (amongst the best in the country).
    Maths+Economics are what I've heard are the top courses at Warwick and that people on tsr have rejected places like UCL to study them. It's just a bit of a shame that they aren't as strong for my course

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 28, 2012

University open days

1. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.