Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    close thread

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I've originally applied to Mechanical Engineering at Imperial College London.
    However, they said they've got no space left in mechanical engineering department, so they offered me Biomedical engineering AAA MEng instead considering of my fine results and personal statement.

I've emailed both Mechanical engineering department and biomedical engineering department. They told me that, although possible to change course, but its very unlikely to change straight away at your arrival, since the course is usually fully supscribed. Most likely to change course after 1 year studying at your department. (the opportunity cost is high lol!!!)

And, you need to gain good results from your A-Level and in the first year in order to transfer between departments. Both the releasing and accepting department (Biomedical engineering/ mechanical engineering) department need to agree, otherwise, its up to luck and chance...

Its a internal process, so no need to re-apply throught UCAS, you just need to agreement from the other department.

The top departments out of all in Imperial:

Mechanical Engineering
    Biomedical Engineering
    Chemical Engineering
    Civil Engineering
    Medicine

I've been told by my seniors studying at Imperial currently that, its hard to transfer to these departments. Usually people would transfer to computer science, material science, maths, etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny12352)
    Hello,

I've originally applied to Mechanical Engineering at Imperial College London.
    However, they said they've got no space left in mechanical engineering department, so they offered me Biomedical engineering AAA MEng instead considering of my fine results and personal statement.

I've emailed both Mechanical engineering department and biomedical engineering department. They told me that, although possible to change course, but its very unlikely to change straight away at your arrival, since the course is usually fully supscribed. Most likely to change course after 1 year studying at your department. (the opportunity cost is high lol!!!)

And, you need to gain good results from your A-Level and in the first year in order to transfer between departments. Both the releasing and accepting department (Biomedical engineering/ mechanical engineering) department need to agree, otherwise, its up to luck and chance...

Its a internal process, so no need to re-apply throught UCAS, you just need to agreement from the other department.

The top departments out of all in Imperial:

Mechanical Engineering
    Biomedical Engineering
    Chemical Engineering
    Civil Engineering
    Medicine

I've been told by my seniors studying at Imperial currently that, its hard to transfer to these departments. Usually people would transfer to computer science, material science, maths, etc...
    I knew about the possibility of a transfer after 1 year but it will cost a fortune, especially now ! I guess you can add EEE as oversubscribed course as well.
    I really wish to work for microprocessor industry and that's why I had a little doubt but it turns out to be that there is a hellalot of mech. eng stuff in there as well =)) I will have to learn some programming in the spare time since it's one of the main criteria for any engineering discipline in that sector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    I knew about the possibility of a transfer after 1 year but it will cost a fortune, especially now ! I guess you can add EEE as oversubscribed course as well.
    I really wish to work for microprocessor industry and that's why I had a little doubt but it turns out to be that there is a hellalot of mech. eng stuff in there as well =)) I will have to learn some programming in the spare time since it's one of the main criteria for any engineering discipline in that sector.
    Why did you choose mech eng if you want to work with microprocessors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    Why did you choose mech eng if you want to work with microprocessors?
    I find EEE course less exciting. Microprocessor is a very complex system. Mechanical engineers for instance can be working on a heating/cooling processes (fluid dynamics) inside the chip. Nano-manufacturing, design automation, hardware/software design can be taken by mech. eng. To be really honest all of the engineering disciplines have a lot in common and you can easily transfer between industries. Doesn't really matter which course you finish.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.