Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would this be a useless thing to study at uni? (German) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to study German at university(aberdeen) as a single honours.I'm not exactly rich(at all tbh) and don want to get into loads of debt for something that is useless.The uni experience is of course valuable but I do want to be able to support myself fairly wellish afterwards.

I'm struggling enough to figure out if I can even go because of costs.

ReputationRep:
    No. A language is well regarded and quite well sought after by international businesses.

ReputationRep:
    what do you plan to do after uni then with that degree? I suppose you can become a German translator?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think any language course is useless. The debt is not proper debt, you only pay it back when you earn above a certain amount it's more like paying a 9% graduate tax.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure what I want to do with it.I just love the language and hope it gets me somewhere.I've been scared by all these stories about useless degrees and some that say on science degrees are useful...

ReputationRep:
    A language degree is in no way useless. It opens up a lot of doors.

ReputationRep:
    It opens up a lot of doors
    especially the back door they love that sort of thing in germany.

ReputationRep:
    If you love it, do it! That's a really positive start as lots of people don't even like the subject you're studying.

From what I know language courses make you fairly employable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OddThings)
    I'm hoping to study German at university(aberdeen) as a single honours.I'm not exactly rich(at all tbh) and don want to get into loads of debt for something that is useless.The uni experience is of course valuable but I do want to be able to support myself fairly wellish afterwards.

I have a German friend that speaks fluent English but he doesn't actually have a job. When I went to visit him last year though, I noticed that all the staff must speak English as well as German, including check out staff in the duty-free.

A language is never a waste to learn but I'd look at the graduates section of the website and see what they have gone on to do. You can get books and there are online reports stating different jobs you can do with a foreign language. I remember reading somewhere that becoming a translator in politics pays really well. Also becoming a translator for business is a good money earner. I would probably do a combined degree if I was you though as it costs the same and you'll be able to enter a wider job market at the end.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Why don't you do German combined with something? Like business or economics? This would be a very employable degree, especially with Germany becoming the most powerful economy in western Europe

ReputationRep:

Particularly german, the economic hub of europe. If not a business style career then theres always translating, teaching, journalism...possibilites are endless

(Original post by Delaney)
    No. A language is well regarded and quite well sought after by international businesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    A language degree is in no way useless. It opens up a lot of doors.
    Given that you seem to be very knowledgeable about all things german I really take your comment as hope that it will get me somewhere.I suppose if I work hard enough,it will.

ReputationRep:
    It's not useless by itself, but it might be worth considering beginning another language ab initio alongside German and doing a joint honours, as this usually broadens language job prospects. Or you could do joint honours with another course, such as History or English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    Why don't you do German combined with something? Like business or economics? This would be a very employable degree, especially with Germany becoming the most powerful economy in western Europe
    Best advice

A degree in languages itself isn't really that useful, unless it's from Oxbridge or you plan on being a language teacher or you plan on working at a call centre.

Job wise, if you're after a job in German speaking country, good luck finding one with a German degree from a British university. Translators.... most people in German speaking countries have very good command of the English language.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that a language degree is a valuable asset to have. Someone has to do it! The world won't turn on economists, lawyers and doctors alone. Seriously though, you are obviously passionate about the subject, which is a must for a degree, and I would have thought employment could be found in quite diverse sectors. I seem to remember that the EU are constantly trying to recruit more people from the United Kingdom, as we are under represented, but knowledge of a second official language seems to be the barrier. Also, most language degrees offer a year abroad which would be great for honing your skills and networking.

ReputationRep:
    Given that you seem to be very knowledgeable about all things german I really take your comment as hope that it will get me somewhere.I suppose if I work hard enough,it will.
    That's where the year abroad comes in handy. If you make good use of it then it can be very beneficial.

(Original post by Iorek)
    Best advice

A degree in languages itself isn't really that useful, unless it's from Oxbridge or you plan on being a language teacher or you plan on working at a call centre.

Job wise, if you're after a job in German speaking country, good luck finding one with a German degree from a British university. Translators.... most people in German speaking countries have very good command of the English language.
    But they aren't native speakers though, which is what translation agencies want. I was one of two English native speakers at the company I worked for on the year abroad. The Germans did have a good command of English but they were still making mistakes (I proofread and translated).

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure what I want to do with it.I just love the language and hope it gets me somewhere.I've been scared by all these stories about useless degrees and some that say on science degrees are useful...
    Sounds cheesy but if you're really passionate about it, do it. No language is useless. I was always good at French and never took it beyond GCSE and now I wish i had because I really want to travel, so any language would be useful for that, and with a German degree you could one day live in Germany or earn money as an interpreter. So I wouldn't pay too much attention too people who talk about 'useless' degrees, it's your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Best advice

An oxbrige lover I see.

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping this would be something I could wind you up about, but sadly I can't - German is very worthwhile.

ReputationRep:

Mate im applying to do a German related course as well its not useless at all. Think of all the massive german trans-national companies. Who need English People in their branches who can speak German !!

Also studying the country/history is fascinating enough.

Hope that helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.