Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips for interviews? (i.e. pre-interview paranoia setting in ) who else is applying this year?

ReputationRep:
    None other than the usual Be yourself, think out loud if it helps, and don't stress too much (though am being a total hypocrite here as I did stress rather considerably!). Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    they are likely to go into technical stuff quite quickly, but as long as you know that thats going to happen it shouldnt be a problem!

ReputationRep:
    Recap on your A-Level Biology and don't stress out about wider reading - it's a good idea but at least for my interview, they didn't say a single word about it. Just as well cus I did no reading. But anyway the failure in recapping on my A-Level Biology got me my rejection.

ReputationRep:
    I got asked pretty varied stuff. About paleobiology and evolution, primarily because I wrote that I was interested in those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    About paleobiology and evolution, primarily because I wrote that I was interested in those.
    OMG so's my bf, and he's applied for Pembroke too! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    OMG so's my bf, and he's applied for Pembroke too! :rofl:
    Interesting. Do natscis who like evolution/paleobiology always apply to pembroke? hmm.

Oh my, 2 similar applicants for the same course. They will give priority to the local, won't they? Then I am done for! *whines*

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. Do natscis who like evolution/paleobiology always apply to pembroke? hmm.
    Yes. It's a tradition, or an old charter, or something.

ReputationRep:

Oh my, 2 similar applicants for the same course. They will give priority to the local, won't they? Then I am done for! *whines*
    Nah, they can get more money out of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    Nah, they can get more money out of you!
    Oh right. I am paying fare while you guys are paying close to nothing compared to what I am paying. *grumbles*
    Anyhow, it's quite a coincidence about the interest and choice of college. Evolutionary biologists are lazy people?

ReputationRep:
    Anyhow, it's quite a coincidence about the interest and choice of college. Evolutionary biologists are lazy people?
    :eek:.. Er, perhaps I think he just closed his eyes and pointed at the map?

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for bionatsci at John's. My interview is on the 5th. *nervous*

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Pure Biological Natsci at Jesus, and Ive got two subject interviews on the 8th, one biological and one mathematical/chemistry. Does everyone applying for Bio Natsci get the maths/chemistry one or is it just people who said that theyre interested in chemistry/molecular biology on their personal statement, like me? Does anyone know what sort of maths stuff they ask in the maths interview? Help!

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Biological and got given a Biology one and a Chemistry one from what I can gather. I think it's more if you have studied Chemistry (and/or maths) that they think it's fairer if they test other aspects of your scientific potential.
    I doubt the maths interview will be advanced calculus of hyperbolic functions as you're clearly interested in biology, not maths! So I wouldn't worry too much

ReputationRep:
    I've just been told that I'm having two interviews, one general interview and a "subject specific" interview.

God knows what they'll ask me about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogery)
    I'm applying for Pure Biological Natsci at Jesus, and Ive got two subject interviews on the 8th, one biological and one mathematical/chemistry. Does everyone applying for Bio Natsci get the maths/chemistry one or is it just people who said that theyre interested in chemistry/molecular biology on their personal statement, like me? Does anyone know what sort of maths stuff they ask in the maths interview? Help!
    TakemetoAvalon's at Jesus doing Bio NatSci. You could PM him I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much of the interview will be discussion/chat/talking about further reading or whatever, and how much of it will be asking to solve a havent-come-across-before problem... Because in some interviews they dont ask anything about further reading..

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much of the interview will be discussion/chat/talking about further reading or whatever, and how much of it will be asking to solve a havent-come-across-before problem... Because in some interviews they dont ask anything about further reading..
    You can't predict that I'm afraid. The majority ought to be problem solving though!

ReputationRep:
    Had interviews today at jesus. Chemistry and maths was an 110% absolute complete utter f***ing CATASTROPHE. But the biology one was good.... Now ill spend the entire christmas worrying about it and moaning and having nightmares when i should be out and about celebrating christmas like everone else.......

I got a crap nights sleep because a kitchen fan in my room extension in the college kept creaking and banging for some reason and kept me awake for 4 hours. In the end i got up and tried to dismantle it and managed to unscrew the front cover using a metal board but the cover was welded onto the thing so i couldnt take it off and destroy the fan. I got to sleep by tied my coat and part of the blanket around my head to muffle out the noise. I ended up getting about 6 hours of sleep which undoubtedly contributed to my downfall, being only semi-conscious in the interview. IT'S SO DAMN ANNOYING!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Had interviews today at jesus. Chemistry and maths was an 110% absolute complete utter f***ing CATASTROPHE. But the biology one was good.... Now ill spend the entire christmas worrying about it and moaning and having nightmares when i should be out and about celebrating christmas like everone else.......

I got a crap nights sleep because a kitchen fan in my room extension in the college kept creaking and banging for some reason and kept me awake for 4 hours. In the end i got up and tried to dismantle it and managed to unscrew the front cover using a metal board but the cover was welded onto the thing so i couldnt take it off and destroy the fan. I got to sleep by tied my coat and part of the blanket around my head to muffle out the noise. I ended up getting about 6 hours of sleep which undoubtedly contributed to my downfall, being only semi-conscious in the interview. IT'S SO DAMN ANNOYING!!!!
    I don't think I got any sleep whatsoever before my interview. Which didn't seem a good thing at the time, but I got in so you never know...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.