Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've had a room mate I didn't have anything in common before, and I don't want this to happen at university, so can you ask to be put with people who are comaptible? Or is it more like a case of you get a room/flat and just have to put up with other residents even if you're completely different from each other? Not that I don't want to make friends and meet new people, but I don't want to be living with a bunch of people I can't relate to either, you know?
    So any help/advice would be appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I doubt you can do that. They run accommodation, not a dating website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowfall and 45s)
    I've had a room mate I didn't have anything in common before, and I don't want this to happen at university, so can you ask to be put with people who are comaptible? Or is it more like a case of you get a room/flat and just have to put up with other residents even if you're completely different from each other? Not that I don't want to make friends and meet new people, but I don't want to be living with a bunch of people I can't relate to either, you know?
    So any help/advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    You can't, however you can request to be in single sex halls/flats if the university offers them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i know they're not a dating webiste I just wondered.

ReputationRep:
    I will implode if I'm full of a flat of t**ts ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burgergetsbored)
    I will implode if I'm full of a flat of t**ts ¬_¬
    Thankyou! Someone gets it and doesn't give me a sarcastic reply

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou! Someone gets it and doesn't give me a sarcastic reply
    It's tricky though cause I love going out and partying but also understand people need peace in the flats so to come home quietly..obviously not everyone thinks this :P So I want flat mates who will all be outgoing and not boring but still be quietish when in the flat? :P too much too ask I'm guessing.... xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burgergetsbored)
    It's tricky though cause I love going out and partying but also understand people need peace in the flats so to come home quietly..obviously not everyone thinks this :P So I want flat mates who will all be outgoing and not boring but still be quietish when in the flat? :P too much too ask I'm guessing.... xD
    Lol yeah that would be perfect. It's just that I had a room mate last year where I lived at my workplace and she was basically a chav. And she smoked and kept me awake at night so I'd really like to avoid all that this year. Obviously I want to make new friends and go out to have fun, but I don't want to be rooming with somebody who doesn't consider other people. And I was only wondering if you could ask to be housed with others on the same course so you know you'd at least have something in common

ReputationRep:
    Some universities do match you based on interest but most just stuff you in anywhere. Chances are that you'll be living with at least 1 crap flatmate. If none of your flatmates are crap, then the crap flatmate must be you.

ReputationRep:
    University is all about getting to 'gel' and getting to spend time with different types of people, so do not be discouraged by that in fact, look forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    Some universities do match you based on interest but most just stuff you in anywhere. Chances are that you'll be living with at least 1 crap flatmate. If none of your flatmates are crap, then the crap flatmate must be you.
    Criminology and Sociology at the end of your post? That's my course too
    Thanks for the reply but I hope I'm not the bad flatmate lol. Guess I'll just have to find out in September and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeah that would be perfect. It's just that I had a room mate last year where I lived at my workplace and she was basically a chav. And she smoked and kept me awake at night so I'd really like to avoid all that this year. Obviously I want to make new friends and go out to have fun, but I don't want to be rooming with somebody who doesn't consider other people. And I was only wondering if you could ask to be housed with others on the same course so you know you'd at least have something in common
    Ah I've have had to tell her to stop being a **** or gtfo. Ah well I thought for uni you filled in a residenses form which includes stuff like hobbies and they try and pair room mates up as well as possible. I don't think I have anything in common with a dirty chav so I'm hoping to be ok :P

ReputationRep:
    In the first year I was put with people I didn't get on with. I just spent most of my time with my coursemates which was much nicer. Now I am living with people I want to and it is fantastic. We still have arguments over heating though ...

P.S. This is a pretty funny video about sharing in halls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdZHO9ZnjRo

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.