Turn on thread page Beta

Did your school mess up your university application? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering, did your college/sixth form make a mistake on your application before it was sent off? What happened? How did you fix it?

Today a student found out his university had listed him as a international student, meaning his tution fees increased three times over and would have to pay money upfront for four years for a translator. For some reason Our sixth form had put him down as a forgein student despite the fact he was raised in England and can't speak a word of another language. He swears he put in home student but this conflicts with the school records. He doesn't hold a British passport and I can't remember if he was born here, if not he's lived here the vast majority of his life, like from a baby.

Another had his predicted grades entered wrong, which meant two of his choices rejected him when he should have gotten in.

Even my application was wrong, I got an email from one of my choices saying one of my subjects didn't have a predicted grade entered in despite the fact I gave it to my head of year who deals with all the UCAS stuff. I got her to fix it and recieved an offer luckily.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Or is it just my sixth form?

ReputationRep:
    mistakes happen but your 6th form seems to be the cream of the crop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    I was wondering, did your college/sixth form make a mistake on your application before it was sent off? What happened? How did you fix it?

Today a student found out his university had listed him as a international student, meaning his tution fees increased three times over and would have to pay money upfront for four years for a translator. For some reason Our sixth form had put him down as a forgein student despite the fact he was born and raised in England and can't speak a word of another language.

Another had his grades entered wrong, which meant two of his choices rejected him when he should have gotten in.

Even my application was wrong, I got an email from one of my choices saying one of my subjects didn't have a predicted grade entered in despite the fact I gave it to my head of year who deals with all the UCAS stuff. I got her to fix it and recieved an offer luckily.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Or is it just my sixth form?
    All of that stuff (bar predicted grades) is what you the student puts in :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel08)
    All of that stuff (bar predicted grades) is what you the student puts in :confused:
    I was wondering the same! :O Besides the predicted grades and reference, aren't we the students supposed to fill out the academic/personal/ps/ basic info parts?

ReputationRep:
    Another had his grades entered wrong, which meant two of his choices rejected him when he should have gotten in.

You cannot possibly know that drama queen!

ReputationRep:
    The second one was predicted grades entered wrong, he was predicted A's, she put in B's. I'll edit that.

The first one swears he put in home student, but when he talked to the school they had him down as different because of some forgien literacy test they made him do in year 9 and had him down as coming from a french speaking country when he's from Trinidad and Tobago and holds his passport from there. We think maybe the head of year changed it when she went through the applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)

You cannot possibly know that drama queen!
    He was predicted A's, she put them as B's, there was no reason he wouldn't get in when he did to the other three choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    He was predicted A's, she put them as B's, there was no reason he wouldn't get in when he did to the other three choices.
    I know people predicted 4 As who didn't get in to their choices. They didn't blame anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    I know people predicted 4 As who didn't get in to their choices. They didn't blame anyone else.
    Alright, but considering one of them was his favourite and he would have firmed it made it worse, he could have had a better chance had the school entered it right, that's the thing. I may not to able to say he would have deffo gotten in, but as it was an AAA course it would have made it more likely.

ReputationRep:
    That international status mix-up really isn't that much of a big deal, if you're genuinely a home student it's only a matter of sending a photocopy of your passport or other documents like birth certificate to clear it up.

Although it can be a big problem if it's for those courses who have a very small quota for international places which means you'd be facing extreme competition when there's only a handful of places on a course...possibly costing you an offer when you could have had much higher chances as a home student.

I know some real horror stories about schools messing up university applications, I think there needs to be an independent body students can file official complaints to if their school compromises their application. It's unacceptable that they take the future of students lightly.

I know many students who were unlucky to get those miserable lazy teachers as their referee and left it too late past the UCAS deadline. From what I've experienced it's more common amongst those who have the October deadline for medicine/oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urji21)
    I was wondering the same! :O Besides the predicted grades and reference, aren't we the students supposed to fill out the academic/personal/ps/ basic info parts?
    Well all of us at my school did. We had to do everything bar references and predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Vinnie)
    That international status mix-up really isn't that much of a big deal, if you're genuinely a home student it's only a matter of sending a photocopy of your passport or other documents like birth certificate to clear it up.

Although it can be a big problem if it's for those courses who have a very small quota for international places which means you'd be facing extreme competition when there's only a handful of places on a course...possibly costing you an offer when you could have had much higher chances as a home student.

I know some real horror stories about schools messing up university applications, I think there needs to be an independent body students can file official complaints to if their school compromises their application. It's unacceptable that they take the future of students lightly.

I know many students who were unlucky to get those miserable lazy teachers as their referee and left it too late past the UCAS deadline. From what I've experienced it's more common amongst those who have the October deadline for medicine/oxbridge.
    He doesn't hold a British passport, it's a Trinidad and Tobago passport, would he need both?

I do think my teachers are lazy, we get the feeling they're only interested in the students that have applied to the top universites, a few years ago a girl got into Oxford, the only one from our school to do so ever. They repeat it constantly and act as if it was down to them. My head of year basically ignores me yet talks for ages with my friend who got an interview for UCL or others who got into Lancaster or Warwick, then turned to me and was like 'Oh. How's your application going.' as an after thought.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am international, so I had a chance to proofread my UCAS reference (applied before the rule of external reference sbmission was implemented) but when I applied to University College Utrecht my referee put some things wrong in the reference (like different positions in various competitions) and, moreover, my English teacher spelt some words wrong when translating it (like writing "collage" instead of "college"). Luckily, I was given the papers after they were completed, so I let both of them know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    He doesn't hold a British passport, it's a Trinidad and Tobago passport, would he need both?
    No, but he would need to be 'settled', which means he has no immigration restrictions on how long he can stay in the UK (i.e. doesn't have a visa that is only for a set length of time).

ReputationRep:
    Well, not to me, but my friend.

Our careers adviser basically meets every student and runs through what they need to do to get into their courses. One of my friends applied to law, not knowing anything about the English system, then send off her application after it was cleared by the head of UCAS applications in school.

Guess what? She didn't know about the LNAT. And then had to change her choices, cos she couldn't make it to a test day.

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    My German teacher put in my reference that 'x delights the class with her oral skills' :teehee:

Although apparently this didn't really disadvantage me :awesome:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.