Turn on thread page Beta

Msc Management: 1st=LSE; 2nd=bath? aston? tanaka? cass? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So many rankings, so many top business schools but which one is the best? LSE seems to be on top but from that point seems difficult to distinguish a clear 2nd.

So... what's it gonna be?

Bath: fantastic rep
    Aston: some say "the" 2nd best
    Cass: top for management, top for employment
    Tanaka: top university (imperial) but new program (high quality though)
    King's (international management)
    Cambridge (mphil)
    st andrew's (good guardian ranking-->2nd in UK)
    Bradford (good FT ranking-->2nd in UK)
    Manchester

You are welcome to give your verdict

ReputationRep:
    Manchester Business school all the way!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely LSE then Bath (should be Imperial but they do not have a strong business school and the program is new). But Cambridge MPhil is better than Bath but is too academic rather than vocational if you want to get a job. Although having said that about Cambridge, it will stand out on a CV and likewise you could go to Imperial and trade in on that name. CASS is too expensive for what you get.

1st
    LSE or Cambridge

2nd
    Bath or Tanaka

3rd
    The rest

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree with that. Tanaka should be at the top with LSE but they are too new and Cambridge... is always cambridge. However, how do you explain that according to the FT, salaries after graduation are so high at Bradford compared to other top (even better) schools like Bath or Aston? Is that ranking just crap? Tanaka and Cambridge don't even appear.. :confused:
    http://rankings.ft.com/rankings/masters

(Original post by Busta)
    Definitely LSE then Bath (should be Imperial but they do not have a strong business school and the program is new). But Cambridge MPhil is better than Bath but is too academic rather than vocational if you want to get a job. Although having said that about Cambridge, it will stand out on a CV and likewise you could go to Imperial and trade in on that name. CASS is too expensive for what you get.

1st
    LSE or Cambridge

2nd
    Bath or Tanaka

3rd
    The rest

ReputationRep:
    The logical reason that would explain why Bradford has high salaries post graduation would be that they take in more people from the business world with experience than they do freshly qualified undergrads or those with limited experience. Those that are 35 with experience doing such a qualification are likely to earn much higher salaries than a 22 year old.

It is a way up between the reputation of the Uni and the reputation of the department. Other things that are important to consider is the companies that target those universities. You could go to Bradford but will they attract the same calibre of employer as Bath/Imperial/Cambridge? I don't know but I doubt it.

Overall I would choose Bath due to it being better value for money, greater flexibility within the course and has excellent links with industry therefore targeted by key employers.

St.Andrews is great but I think it's too remote.

I would also consider Bristol, Warwick & Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    The work experience could explain the difference in salaries. However, they also got an MBA (where they can put those with work experience) and I'm 20 (fresh undegraduate) and they offered me a place so.. still not convinced on how they do it. But it's true that Bath has a better rep than Brad and they should attract a better quality of employers. I was offered a place at Bath last week and I m putting it over brad's. Bdw, do Bath graduates get jobs in London or would they rather be offered something in other cities (I assume they can't really stay in Bath lol!!) ?

About warwick, they have a wonderful B School but they don't offer an MSc in Management. Just Economics and Finance.. it's probably close in terms of job perspectives and quality but that's it. Bristol are new, same as Imperial but Imperial has the advantage to be in London even if both are top uni's. Nott is also good I agree, same for st andrews.. .

Well after all, seems like the list is very very big. In France, where I study now, there are about 5 top big business schools and then, there are a bunch of other schools and they act like second class. It seems to be much more difficult to find a restricted group of top schools in the UK, making the choice very hard for students.

ReputationRep:
    How good is MSc (Management) for a fresher in the job market? I am a non-EU student, have done MSc (Marketing) in Finland (with thesis) and have a few internships in local companies. Do I stand a chance in UK job market if I do an MSc (Management) from, say, Bristol or Bath on the top of my Finnish degree?

Chhers,
    Greenstone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenstone)
    How good is MSc (Management) for a fresher in the job market? I am a non-EU student, have done MSc (Marketing) in Finland (with thesis) and have a few internships in local companies. Do I stand a chance in UK job market if I do an MSc (Management) from, say, Bristol or Bath on the top of my Finnish degree?

Chhers,
    Greenstone
    As your a non EU student, regardless of whether you got a first from London Business School, you may not secure a job. Harsh but true. This is because the majority of firms that recruit for graduate positions do not accept non EU. Those that do accept non EU are typically much larger multi national firms. Even then it is dependant on you getting a visa.

So what do these large corporations look for? Well as long as you meet the minimum academic criteria (there are ways around this) then there is no point in doing another masters. As it is more about the candidate than the education. Yes an MSc Management from Bath Uni looks good on the CV but will it secure u a job the answer is NO, the only thing that will secure the job is you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenstone)

Chhers,
    Greenstone
    As your a non EU student, regardless of whether you got a first from London Business School, you may not secure a job. Harsh but true. This is because the majority of firms that recruit for graduate positions do not accept non EU. Those that do accept non EU are typically much larger multi national firms. Even then it is dependant on you getting a visa.

So what do these large corporations look for? Well as long as you meet the minimum academic criteria (there are ways around this) then there is no point in doing another masters. As it is more about the candidate than the education. Yes an MSc Management from Bath Uni looks good on the CV but will it secure u a job the answer is NO, the only thing that will secure the job is you.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say:

1st = LSE
    2nd = CASS/aston
    3rd = royal holloway (because i'm biased of course :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legend Killer)
    I'd say:

1st = LSE
    2nd = CASS/aston
    3rd = royal holloway (because i'm biased of course :P)
    You realise this thread is over two years old?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rottcodd)
    You realise this thread is over two years old?
    Woops

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.