The Student Room Group

UCL Vs University of Nottingham

Hi
I am deciding between universities at the moment and have been very fortunate to receive offers from both Nottingham and UCL.
The courses are fairly similar, at Nottingham the course is Maths and Eco, and at UCL the course is Economics and Stats.
I cant decide which university to go to... I know UCL is much more prestigious but I dont think I will enjoy nor have the same university experience staying in London (I live in London atm and would like to get out, but dont know if can turn down UCL!?!?!?!).

My real question is: Are there great differences between the 2 Universities and how will they affect me in the future?

Thanks very much for any advice, really appreciated.

Jonathan

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Jonathan53;30469790"]Hi
I am deciding between universities at the moment and have been very fortunate to receive offers from both Nottingham and UCL.
The courses are fairly similar, at Nottingham the course is Maths and Eco, and at UCL the course is Economics and Stats.
I cant decide which university to go to... I know UCL is much more prestigious but I dont think I will enjoy nor have the same university experience staying in London (I live in London atm and would like to get out, but dont know if can turn down UCL!?!?!?!).

My real question is: Are there great differences between the 2 Universities and how will they affect me in the future?

Jonathan[/QUOTE

Nottingham is much more 'prestigious'.
Reply 2
Original post by FallOnDeathsEars

No.
Reply 3
Original post by FallOnDeathsEars

:lolwut:

I'm not saying for a moment that 'prestige' is a good thing to choose a university based on, but really, if you were going to try and use it as a way of choosing between UCL and Nottingham, you'd go for UCL.
Original post by Jonathan53
Hi

Jonathan

I haven't checked the league tables, but in all fairness UCL probably is more prestigious. The University would certainly hold the most recognition internationally. However, Nottingham is hardly non-existant on the international front.
Tbh, prestige really isn't something i'd pay too much attention to when it comes to making a decision. UCL may technically have the upper hand, but Nottingham is hardly a bad University - it's very good. You'll still get far with Nottingham on your CV; it's not like we're comparing UCL vs Teeside (I hope I cause no offence upon this remark). The teaching is excellent, the facilities are great etc.

It sounds as if you've already made your decision deep down. In saying what you have about London and already living there etc, you're pretty much saying you think you'll be happier at Nottingham. I can almost assure you, though I say this with no quantifiaable evidence, that very few people would compromise their happiness for a bit of extra prestige on their CV. If this is something you would be willing to do that is fair enough, but it's just something for you to consider.

I hope my post has been more useful than simply replying with which University is supposedly 'better', or stating 'yes' or 'no' in agreement, or simply disagreeing with your deduction method without also providing something potentially beneficial.
omg UCL all the way theres no question
There really isn't that much difference between the two universities- both have excellent reps for Economics. Yes UCL carries more 'prestige' but Notts still would hold you is good stead for finding graduate employment- I believe they are semi-targeted by investment banks.
Reply 7
UCL for sure personally.
UCL has better domestic and international standing, and closer ties to the City. Nottingham is a great uni to be a student at, so I hear. Probably more of a standard uni-esque experience than UCL.

It's not so extreme as I've made it seem, but if you're trying to make a decision between the two then these are probably the most influential factors in that decision.
Reply 9
Hi

Jonathan

I applied to oth Nottingham and UCL too...but i didn't manage to get an offer at UCL...i applied for architecture..
But personnally...i would give anything to have gotten even the opportunity to decided whether to go to UCL or Nottingham! That's just my personal opinion. I think that you'll love the experience whereever you end up really. They are different i'm sure but you will always have the opportunity to "get out" in the future, and to turn down a UCL, which is probably renowned for a reason, to be sounds like a big risk. Obviously nottingham is just as good but it's similar to my friend actually...
but i could tell that if she ever picked her other uni to firm over this one, she'd always end up thinking about, WHAT IF...but if you went to ucl, i reckon you'll forget it all, meet a bunch of nice people and make some good friends...
but then again, that could happen at nottingham...
just my opinion... :smile: good luck on decision making!
You can turn down any university you want. Try not to get caught up in the prestige of it all - Nottingham and UCL are both very good universities and given you're from London, you've got the benefit of having existing ties to the city for things such as internships which can often be unpaid.

With UCL, you'd need to decide whether you'd move out for first year onwards or whether you'd stay at home to spend money. This will be the crux of your decision as with Nottingham you'd be moving out and doing the "real" university experience whereas you might find that if you live at home and go to UCL you're having a totally different experience. No one can tell you which one of these you'll prefer, you need to consider it yourself and weigh in things like even if you live at home in first year, you might decide you want to move out after then and can your finances afford it/does it make sense?

From what you've said, it sounds like in your heart you want to go to Nottingham but you're getting caught up on the UCL thing. A university is only as good as you think it is - if you hate it and spend your time regretting staying in London and wishing you'd gone to Nottingham you won't have a good time at university regardless of how good on paper UCL happens to be in the world. I rejected my UCL offer because it wasn't for me and I didn't want to go there, it was the best thing I did with my application. As a postgrad now, I'd love to go there, but I didn't see it was much good as an undergraduate. Remember that your employment prospects and the value of your degree will come from what you do during your time there. We live in a world where the name of your university doesn't carry that much weight, its what you've spent your time doing that will get you a graduate job and you can do that from anywhere. You're much more likely to do it somewhere you enjoy and want to be, and likewise, you're probably going to do better academically. Out of my friends who went to a variety of universities, the ones who have the good jobs now are the ones who did a lot of internships/experiences/volunteering as a student. The ones who went to a great uni but messed around during the holidays have nothing beyond a job they had before they went to university.
Reply 11
UCL.
Reply 12
UCL.
Better university, higher prestige and more opportunities on your door step.

Nottingham is, however, a great university. Good luck picking.
Reply 13
Thanks for all the replies I really do appreciate it!
They have gone a long way in helping me with my decision.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Thanks for all the replies I really do appreciate it!
They have gone a long way in helping me with my decision.

Can I ask what your decision was?
Original post by outclast
Can I ask what your decision was?

OP hasn't logged on for two years, I doubt they're going to reply ):
Original post by Chlorophile

have a little hope
Reply 17
Original post by Chlorophile

Yeah me neither, but I was intrigued!
Reply 18
Funny to see this post.
I graduated from Nottingham in July. I can safely say I am extremely pleased with the decision! I had a great three years.
In terms of opportunities, I will not lie, Nottingham did put me at a disadvantage compared to my friends at UCL/LSE, however I got very lucky and still got the job I wanted (IB at BAML).
Any people who are in a similar conundrum, all I can say is if you are driven it will make no difference what university you go to, just ensure you have a good time!
Funny to see this post.
I graduated from Nottingham in July. I can safely say I am extremely pleased with the decision! I had a great three years.
In terms of opportunities, I will not lie, Nottingham did put me at a disadvantage compared to my friends at UCL/LSE, however I got very lucky and still got the job I wanted (IB at BAML).
Any people who are in a similar conundrum, all I can say is if you are driven it will make no difference what university you go to, just ensure you have a good time!

Very often true - ambition and effort make a real difference in the real world.

Well done, just make sure you don't mess up the world economy again!!! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending