Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So i did city and guilds not a levels
    no university is replying to say whether they'll accept them or not- they are relevant to the course. I'm tempted to just pay and send off my ucas then i'll finally get a definite no.
    But as a backup- what can i do course wise to ensure i get into uni next year- i've looked at some courses but they're two years long
    Any ideas appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bedhead09)
    no university is replying to say whether they'll accept them or not- they are relevant to the course. I'm tempted to just pay and send off my ucas then i'll finally get a definite no.
    But as a backup- what can i do course wise to ensure i get into uni next year- i've looked at some courses but they're two years long
    Any ideas appreciated
    if you are 19 or over the best option for you is access to he. and its only ONE year long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bedhead09)
    Any ideas appreciated
    (Original post by iarv)
    if you are 19 or over the best option for you is access to he. and its only ONE year long.
    ^^^ This

It's the quickest route into uni. It's not necessarily the best, however.

The access course is mostly designed for mature students with no/outdated formal qualifications. At my college, the access course is mostly made up of students in their mid 20s to mid 40s.

Some colleges may be reluctant to take you on given your age, however since you didn't actually do A-Levels, they probably won't mind. They could potentially take exception to a student who crashed and burned in their A-Levels and is using access as a 'backdoor route' so to say.

I don't think the access course is as hard as A-Levels, but almost every university in the country would consider you on it.

There is a lad on here going to Cambridge on an access course, but I cannot vouch for his other qualifications and the like. He may have substantial experience in his field of study or something.

I know of one person going to Durham to study History on an access course, and most students from my college go to either Northumbria, Teeside or Newcastle on the access course, though I think Newcastle is an exception given that my college runs a partner scheme with Newcastle university.

Access usually lasts about 30 weeks. A good grade will get you into uni.

ReputationRep:
    I did a microsoft apprenticeship so i have experience in the workplace aswell. but since uni's won't get back to me i have no idea on their thoughts on it :|

i'll have a look up access courses

batteries-northumbria is where i want to go but they haven't replied when i emailed asking :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    ^^^ This

It's the quickest route into uni. It's not necessarily the best, however.

The access course is mostly designed for mature students with no/outdated formal qualifications. At my college, the access course is mostly made up of students in their mid 20s to mid 40s.

Some colleges may be reluctant to take you on given your age, however since you didn't actually do A-Levels, they probably won't mind. They could potentially take exception to a student who crashed and burned in their A-Levels and is using access as a 'backdoor route' so to say.

I don't think the access course is as hard as A-Levels, but almost every university in the country would consider you on it.

There is a lad on here going to Cambridge on an access course, but I cannot vouch for his other qualifications and the like. He may have substantial experience in his field of study or something.

I know of one person going to Durham to study History on an access course, and most students from my college go to either Northumbria, Teeside or Newcastle on the access course, though I think Newcastle is an exception given that my college runs a partner scheme with Newcastle university.

Access usually lasts about 30 weeks. A good grade will get you into uni.
    so if its not the best then what do you suggest personally i think its the best. i don't think its easier then a levels when you consider that they start at basic and get you through most of A level in 10 months. also this course is deigned to prepare you for uni(and nothing else).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iarv)
    so if its not the best then what do you suggest personally i think its the best. i don't think its easier then a levels when you consider that they start at basic and get you through most of A level in 10 months. also this course is deigned to prepare you for uni(and nothing else).
    I honestly think that if most of an A-Level could be taught in that time-frame, then A-Levels would not be over two years.

The fact of the matter is that A-Levels are more rigorous. IMO, A-Levels are the best course for university entry. However, I do expect this to change as the Pre-U and the IB grow in stature.

I do not think access is the best given that the majority of students don't do it, and the majority of universities prefer A-Levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)

I do not think access is the best given that the majority of students don't do it, and the majority of universities prefer A-Levels
    this is because they can't. it is only intended for people who are mature(ie. 19 or over) also most uni don't reject access. its same with a levels if you have strong application you will get offers. due to 'fair access policy' (next year) you may even have a better chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iarv)
    this is because they can't. it is only intended for people who are mature(ie. 19 or over) also most uni don't reject access. its same with a levels if you have strong application you will get offers. due to 'fair access policy' (next year) you may even have a better chance.
    If a full A-Level could almost be taught in 10 months, some colleges would attempt to teach them that quickly.

Frankly, the depth of A-Level is greater than that of access, which is why A-Levels take longer to complete.

I never said most universities reject access, I said most universities prefer A-Levels, which is true, most universities do.

If you have a strong application with A-Levels, yes you will likely get offers, if you have a strong application with access, you will likely get offers.

The point I'm making, is that if a one-year qualification was actually that sufficient for university, more and more places would be getting rid of the two year A-Level in favour of the shorter course.

Access students get in mostly through quotas, through direct competition it'd be much harder unless applying to universities asking for BCC/CCC

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.