Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with having intelligence and success in a profession as a requirement in tastes. I have come across a lot stranger taste. For anyone who used the Jesus argument in earnest, just...no, lol

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter what someone does for a living? I think being a carpenter sounds interesting.

I'm a lawyer (and no its not "something worth being snobby about" as someone said, no profession is carte blanche for being judgemental) and my boyfriend works in a supermarket. And he is easily one of the smartest people I have ever met.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidr123)
    Ha ha ha!!!

He's a carpenter? Well he's doing much better than you - you've wasted an education to become a teacher! The ultimate failure.

those who can do, those who cant teach.

Had you said you were working in a bank/law firm/medicine or something worth being snobbish abiout thats a different matter.

At least he's doing something productive! You went to a red brick - lol, you could have done a college course at the local adult college to teach kids crap off the national curriculum.

To be honest I wonder why on earth he'd be seen dead with you! Imagine the embarrassment when he tells his mates he's goign out with a public sector blagger...

Real professionals putting in 100 hour weeks wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire let alone go on a date.

Be realistic and date another teacher - you'll never have anything in common with people who work for a living.
    LOL! Now that's a ROASTING

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm pretty smart, really good grades, went to a redbrick uni and training as a teacher, im come from a background of professionals...i was meant to be going on a date with a guy but found out hes a carpenter..put me off? am i a horrible shallow person, be honest
    Above posts are right. If he is any good he will be paid better and much happier in his job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm pretty smart, really good grades, went to a redbrick uni and training as a teacher, im come from a background of professionals...i was meant to be going on a date with a guy but found out hes a carpenter..put me off? am i a horrible shallow person, be honest
    No you are not!!!You deserve someone better than carpenter
    I would never date him.The pretty and smart girls never give chance for chavvy carpenters.SOOORY that's how it is :rolleyes:You shouldn't wast time with him

ReputationRep:
    So you trained to be a teacher,big whop. I'm going to be a microbiologist and I wouldn't mind dating a teacher.

See what I did there? Getting over yourself, yea your snobby. Youractions alone and. the way you think makes you inferior to that man, making the assumption that he is a good person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chiksy)
    No you are not!!!You deserve someone better than carpenter
    I would never date him.The pretty and smart girls never give chance for chavvy carpenters.SOOORY that's how it is :rolleyes:You shouldn't wast time with him
    You're being sarcastic right? just making sure.

ReputationRep:
    At least he got wood

ReputationRep:
    Well......yes actually.

My grandad has an IQ of over 160, has been married for 50 years, and is the kindest, and most intelligent man I have ever known.

He's a carpenter

ReputationRep:
    THIS THIS THISSS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqgXzPfAxjo

Not sure why but I found the adverts amusing, lol
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellabonjellaaaa)
    Genuinely made me giggle tehe. The fact you had to ask puts you in the rare bracket of a snob wannabe; someone who has a superior complex for invalid and stupid reasons. megalolz. Get off your high horse. Carpenters are good with their handssss!
    BIB :sexface:

Get over yourself OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Spade)
    You're being sarcastic right? just making sure.
    Hell noo im serious !!!

just kiddin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Well depends on the type of carpenter... but tbh as a teacher I won't rank you any higher than the carpenter.

Yours' Sincerely.
    Snob
    Agreed. I mean, a teacher? It's not exactly a doctor/dentist/lawyer... you've no right to be snobbish...and yeah; you are but i always get called snobby, but they're just working class, poorly-educated inferior chavs...Lol, i'm joking- you know how it is, fellow snob

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha ha!!!

He's a carpenter? Well he's doing much better than you - you've wasted an education to become a teacher! The ultimate failure.

Had you said you were working in a bank/law firm/medicine or something worth being snobbish abiout thats a different matter.

At least he's doing something productive! You went to a red brick - lol, you could have done a college course at the local adult college to teach kids crap off the national curriculum.

To be honest I wonder why on earth he'd be seen dead with you! Imagine the embarrassment when he tells his mates he's goign out with a public sector blagger...

Real professionals putting in 100 hour weeks wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire let alone go on a date.

Be realistic and date another teacher - you'll never have anything in common with people who work for a living.

Jesus Christ, that was a bit unnecessary. Teachers work hard planning lessons and marking essays and workbooks every night. If it weren't for teachers you'd be spling liek dis reet naow. It's the people who teach that help to get you into the good unis so you can actually go into law and medicine. They have ambitions to help and work with children- that's a respectable thing to be doing. Not everyone has power issues like you.

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha ha!!!

This is utterly uncalled for. I agree that the impression given off by the little we know of the poster isn't the best in the world but you are way out of line.

Work on being less judgemental of someone who has asked for help and get your act together. You should be ashamed.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is probably a bit snobby.

That sort of attitude is why every attempt at reform of our education system has failed. Teachers have taught successive generations that if you become carpenter you haven't amounted to anything. It takes years of training and aptitude for maths to become a carpenter. Trades such as that are a perfectly fine outcome for a young person.

When an entire construction site is waiting for the site carpenter to finish fabricating the structures to pour concrete, I don't think the chartered Civil Engineer who designed the structure, for example, would be so dismissive of a carpenter.

Thomas Chippendale, for example, did pretty well out of it.

That sounded really harsh, and I'm not even angry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mouldywart)
    This is utterly uncalled for. I agree that the impression given off by the little we know of the poster isn't the best in the world but you are way out of line.

Work on being less judgemental of someone who has asked for help and get your act together. You should be ashamed.
    Seriously? Its spot on.

teachers always, always marry teachers - who else gets half terms and school holidays and its an unsackable pretend job. They all go on holiday together or sit in the pub talking about how underpaid they are, or how they are "doing it for the kids". What a load of crap. Teachers are career failures or professionals looking to retire with an easy life.

ReputationRep:
    At least he'll be able to give you wood :awesome:

Carpentry is a great skill to have.

Although if he's just doing some odd job woodwork because he has no other skills then damn, I could forgive you for looking down on him. Like making rickety stools or something.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? Its spot on.

teachers always, always marry teachers - who else gets half terms and school holidays and its an unsackable pretend job. They all go on holiday together or sit in the pub talking about how underpaid they are, or how they are "doing it for the kids". What a load of crap. Teachers are career failures or professionals looking to retire with an easy life.
    Teachers are some of the most under-appreciated people in society. Our entire way of life is dependant on education - society needs people to educate the young into productive members of society. I know a great number of teachers and many of them are, without a doubt, brilliant, hard working people.

Now I do not think much of your generalisations and assumptions; you have clearly someone who has preconceived notions about people because of their occupation and that makes you more of a snob than the thread starter.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.