Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Y'know technically that's his teacher's fault.

Just sayin'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm pretty smart, really good grades, went to a redbrick uni and training as a teacher, im come from a background of professionals...i was meant to be going on a date with a guy but found out hes a carpenter..put me off? am i a horrible shallow person, be honest
    I know plenty of rich carpenters....

Do I know any rich teachers? No.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus was a carpenter...

But it's probably not Jesus. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i would say from what you said you are a snob, you judged someone before you met them on there job, you obviously see yourself as better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidr123)
    Good point - you're teacher has "coached" crap students up to a an A/B...

When you leave school - if you do a worthwhile profession its going to be lots of self-study and exams which are competitions where they fail the bottom 25%/50% at every sitting rather than give everyone a A********** to score on league tables.

This means if you are inherently thick or unable to do things yourself and need spoon-feeding, you will get sacked.

The mess of our education system is what stops social mobility - there is no way for students to prove they are the best because its all dumbed down to death.

Better education exists online than in any classroom.

-
    Teachers are failures - they fail to get into a real profession - then go into teaching bleating on about how rewarding it is aged 25 - come 30 they are completely disillusioned and realise they are failures - come 40 they are completely irrelevant to the current crop of students so can't control them and come 50 - really they should have been sacked for being too old as they are useless. However they cling on until the death being completely rubbish at their job to up their pensions.
    My God, you must have gone to a dreadful school to be that bitter. I went to a state comprehensive and the majority of teachers there were excellent. They were deeply knowledgeable about their subjects, cared about their pupils and were generally inspiring. They did the best they could for everyone, had little problem keeping control, and most importantly of all, were very good at their jobs, ie. explaining, teaching, motivating and inspiring.

I work in many schools and can categorically state that the vast majority of teachers that I personally know are excellent role models. The older teachers that you so laughably slate (with no evidence, might I add), are often the best, because they take no nonsense and have had years of experience.

It takes a lot of skill to teach properly; teaching is in itself a talent and worthy of respect. You can be academically brilliant, yet be lousy at teaching. Good teaching requires a passion for learning as well as for teaching, excellent communication skills, a desire to pass on essential skills on to the next generation. A good teacher realises the vital importance of their role as a leader and a guide, as someone with the power to affect their pupils' minds for the better. And I don't just mean academically, I mean in almost everything. You don't seem to realise just how important teachers can be, particularly in primary schools, in affecting children's mental health as well as their academic abilities.

I am not saying that all teachers are good, obviously. I know that some are awful, but those teachers should not be in the profession at all and certainly should not be used as a basis for generalisations. Also, the role of parents in children's lives - and therefore in how they behave at school - can not be underestimated.

If you knew anything at about education as a whole, rather than your own obviously rather tragic experience, you would not make the ridiculously wrong and offensive comments that you have.

Neg rep me to hell if you wish, but this is something I feel very strongly about and I can not read a post as ignorant and offensive as yours without putting it right.

ReputationRep:
    Uh, yeah, my dad was one.. there were many years when he earnt a higher wage than a teacher does, I'll say that much.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Haven't you seen Titanic?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Of_the_hook)
    BIB :sexface:

Get over yourself OP
    What does BIB mean? :\ Im such a dumbass

(Original post by Iorek)
    Well depends on the type of carpenter... but tbh as a teacher I won't rank you any higher than the carpenter.

Yours' Sincerely.
    Snob
    I wonder why this guy still has neg rep :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Jokes aside about you being a snob. It also means you're basing your decision upon your potential husband's ability to provide for you. If teaching is such an 'academic' and 'successful' profession, as a woman in particular you should be trying to be independent and prove you don't need a man for anything but 'love' and cheeky times. Not to sponge off and judge him on his gcses. If you're after a bread winning business man to provide for your sorry arse I suggest you focus less on being a teacher and more on being trophy wife material. Because let's face it... if you care so much about his earnings and occupation...it's what your main priority is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellabonjellaaaa)
    What does BIB mean? :\ Im such a dumbass
    bit in bold

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.