Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My essay is meant to be 2000 words, but the tutor has said it doesnt matter if its a couple of hundred over. I am currently on 2300 and can get rid of nothing, and still need to put another 100 words in, so do you think i can get away with having 2400 and putting 2200 down?
    its submitted on paper not electronically

Unlikely. They'll notice it's at least 200 words more than everyone elses.

ReputationRep:
    No, they'll notice that. They'll be marking essay after essay and it'll be obvious that yours is longer.

ReputationRep:
    No. Not unless you want to be given a zero on your assignment. You can always cut down. Try harder.

ReputationRep:
    make the font smaller thats what i did with a piece of coursework they didnt notice

ReputationRep:
    I think it's okay if it's 10% or something over usually?
    2400 is pushing it a bit..

ReputationRep:
    just cut it down, most essays benifit with a good trim...

ReputationRep:
    in another email i have got he has said 'dont worry too much about going over, as long as its not drastically over'
    he seems fairly layed back

(Original post by miss_sporty)
    make the font smaller thats what i did with a piece of coursework they didnt notice
    It's a bit different at uni

ReputationRep:
    Going that far over the word limit would gain you a big fat zero for your coursework in my department.

If you can't find anything to cut out, you're not looking hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    +/- 10%

Unless hmm you write something like: word count excluding appendices, references etc.

Then bung words in tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History123)
    My essay is meant to be 2000 words, but the tutor has said it doesnt matter if its a couple of hundred over. I am currently on 2300 and can get rid of nothing, and still need to put another 100 words in, so do you think i can get away with having 2400 and putting 2200 down?
    its submitted on paper not electronically

For my history coursework you couldn't go over the 2000 limit at all, if you did, they would just draw a line under the 2000th word, and not mark any after that. 'apparently' they have some machine that scans the papers and counts the words. at least this is what the edexcel board and my teacher said.....BUT i don't know what subject you're taking, so maybe it's different!

ReputationRep:
    History, but its not edexcel its the university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edmund Darling)
    For my history coursework you couldn't go over the 2000 limit at all, if you did, they would just draw a line under the 2000th word, and not mark any after that. 'apparently' they have some machine that scans the papers and counts the words. at least this is what the edexcel board and my teacher said.....BUT i don't know what subject you're taking, so maybe it's different!
    This is University level not A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    This is University level not A level.
    so it is, silly me :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Finish it and then lose 200 words. Don't risk losing marks for word count, anything over 2200 ain't good. You can ALWAYS edit stuff out.

ReputationRep:
    use 1.5 spacing instead of double spacing... tbh a few hundred words is nothing really. i never used to put my actual word count at undergrad.. i was always over. never got penalised.

this could backfire on you though, i guess it depends on your dept.

edit: you said your tutor is cool about it? then defo lie about the word count and go over. its really not a major thing, a few hundred words is nothing really. dont think tutors are bothered by them... i did an essay last term that was 1500 UNDER and still got 65. they didnt even mention it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't lie. What happened to academic honesty? Be concise! If other people can write an essay within the word limit and get a good mark then you can too.

ReputationRep:
    You can summarise and 'signal' to the marker that you've had to skip briefly through somethings you could have gone into greater depth on... they seem to quite like that.

We're told refs/biblo doesn't count as part of your wc, I do the typing for those in a separate document anyway and just join them when I'm absolutely finished - but that could just be me being weird.

ReputationRep:
    Better to cut down a few unecessary adjectives than get a big, fat zero on your paper.

Try using some of these tricks, they're actually really useful. I managed to cut down a couple of hundred words from my coursework just getting rid of some words that don't actually contribute very much to the flow of the writing:

http://writetodone.com/2008/09/26/tr...diting-tricks/

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.