Turn on thread page Beta

Have you always known what you want to do? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi :P

Long story short I have basically no idea what I want to do as a degree or what career path I want to follow. For a while I wanted to be a lawyer (from about 14-16 years old), but now I have changed my mind. For most of my life I have been coasting through without and real idea of where I want to go.

My question to TSR is how long has your degree choice/career path been obvious to you? It seems some people were born with a goal whereas I don't have a clue. Personally I don't understand how anyone can have a significant portion of their life planned out at the age of 17/18. Now of course that's not a criticism of anyone that does, I'm just curious as to how people come to that decision.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have wanted to be anything and everything at some point in my life. I would love to have had a thunderbolt moment, aged 4, where upon I realised what career I would persue, it certainly would have made life much easier, but, alas, not the case and it has taken me to the ripe old age of 25 to pinpoint an academic discipline and apply to university.

For me, finally reaching a decision was a more embarrassing moment of cheese a few years back. The Baz Luhrmann sunscreen song came on the radio and the lyrics ('...some of the most interesting people I know didn't know what they wanted to do when they were 30...' etc) just resonated with me and it dawned upon me that all the pressure I was putting on myself to find a path was completely futile and counterproductive; so I stopped. Then it was a case of exploring what I actually enjoyed and things progressed from there.

Try not to beat yourself up, it will come. In the meantime just keep an open mind and try new things.

ReputationRep:
    Until I was about 12ish I wanted to be a vet, then realised what being a vet would actually entail :P

I've always been quite arty, and like computers so decided on animation in about year 11 I think as it seemed like the perfect job for me, did plenty of research, so now im off to study it at uni

Think about what you like to do with your time, for me art is a passion but I knew I didnt want to do fine art like painting e.t.c so I looked for other routes

ReputationRep:
    Aha no & I've still no clue really

ReputationRep:
    No, I still don't know what I want to do It's been a different thing every month!

ReputationRep:
    Doctor/medicine. (Cus im Asian)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Nope. Took me ages to decide what I wanted to do at uni. I am not sure what sort of job I would like though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    Personally I don't understand how anyone can have a significant portion of their life planned out at the age of 17/18.
    Ah, I have quite a bit of my life worked out now, I have a lot of free time, so I spend it thinking about my future. I know what I want to do in life and that increases my motivation for everything I do now, so I don't think its bad thing to establish a goal early.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought I knew what I wanted to do, then it got to actually going to university to start that career path and I realised it was a very very bad idea :o: so I withdrew and took a gap year. In the end I did a more general social science subject and then a more specific masters. But I still don't really know what I want to do.

This isnt a bad thing. At 17/18/19 you don't really know all the possibilities of jobs and careers that are open to you. I'm quite liking exploring what jobs are around now, and seeing types of jobs I never really knew existed! And that's really cool. Other than some very distinctive careers that needs prior training eg medicine you don't need to know exactly what you want to do. Law is common to do as a conversion course after your degree, so if you want to go back to that idea later then you can. I really wouldn't worry about not being sure right now, pick a degree you are interested in and will enjoy working on for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    I still have no idea and I'll be graduating this year.

ReputationRep:
    I only knew what I wanted to do a couple of months before applying for uni before then I had no clue, I started volunteering at my local hospital so yeah helped a lot If your not sure, you could try volunteering in different places before committing yourself to something?

And remember unless your doing a vocationally focused degree you don't always have to go into a job area related to it, my brother s just about to finish a degree in physics and he never wants to work with it again, but after having a degree in physics he should "fingers crossed" be more employable, so he is going to try and work in a few different places upon graduating to know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    Hi :P

Long story short I have basically no idea what I want to do as a degree or what career path I want to follow. For a while I wanted to be a lawyer (from about 14-16 years old), but now I have changed my mind. For most of my life I have been coasting through without and real idea of where I want to go.

My question to TSR is how long has your degree choice/career path been obvious to you? It seems some people were born with a goal whereas I don't have a clue. Personally I don't understand how anyone can have a significant portion of their life planned out at the age of 17/18. Now of course that's not a criticism of anyone that does, I'm just curious as to how people come to that decision.

Thanks
    I've wanted to be a solicitor since I was 11; before that I wanted to be a polic officer so it's always been law.
    Just seems like a cool thing to do really

ReputationRep:
    Hell no. Only relatively recently did I get serious about a single career path.

ReputationRep:
    I'm leaving school this year and i haven't got a cluee! I've applied to uni, on a course i'm not even completely sure i want to do, with no idea where it will take me, i just don't know what to do at all!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is different - some people just 'know' what they want to do. I have a friend who wants to work on the railway, which is what they have wanted since I knew them over 15 years ago. He now works for the railway.

On the other hand I've never known what I want to do. I did my degree simply because its in the subject I find most interesting (history).

I think that having a set career path is useful , but its not a be all and end all. Times have changed and people swap jobs fairly regulary now. My cousin did a degree in Marine Biology, worked for Thorntons and then became an accountant. Another relative did an Engineering degree, worked on oil rigs and is now an accountant.

ReputationRep:
    I knew I wanted to do a Psychology degree from the age of 14.

I still dont know what I want to do after that though

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have. Ever since I was about 15.

Audio Engineering/Live Sound

ReputationRep:
    Always wanted a job in design when i was younger, just as I got older I realised graphic design was where i wanted to be.

ReputationRep:
    I realized what I want to do AFTER already applying for other courses. I cancelled them and applied through UCAS Extra for the course I wanted to do. So it was very last minute for me ^^.

ReputationRep:
    I knew from not long before GCSEs that I wanted to do CS.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.