Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m just coming back from an injury and I used to lift just for training for rugby. I’m now not playing and I want to improve to get bigger and more tone. Any help toward a new program would be appreciated.

Current Stats:

Height: 5'11
    Weight: 69KG
    Body Fat: Need it measured but its pretty low (I think)
    Resting HR: 54BPM

Lifts:

Bench: 80KG - 3X8
    Squat: 100KG - 3X8
    Deadlift: 90KG - 3X8
    OHP: 45KG - 3x8
    Bent Over Row: 80KG - 3X8
    Pull Ups: BW - 3x15

I’m very weak on the lower body and I’d like to improve that lots, reason I’m so low is down to injury.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thrusting - does wonders for lower body strength.

ReputationRep:
    Westside for Skinny *******s

If you've got a weak lower body just do more squats and deadlifts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Westside for Skinny *******s

If you've got a weak lower body just do more squats and deadlifts
    Im trying, i absolutly hate deadlifts though i just cannot get the form right for some reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spm)
    Im trying, i absolutly hate deadlifts though i just cannot get the form right for some reason
    Use a mirror, or ask one of the trainers at the gym to watch you, and remember to keep your head straight look at a fixed on the wall just above head height, have your feet parallel with the bar just above the laces on your shoes, keep your shoulders back and chest out when doing them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Use a mirror, or ask one of the trainers at the gym to watch you, and remember to keep your head straight look at a fixed on the wall just above head height, have your feet parallel with the bar just above the laces on your shoes, keep your shoulders back and chest out when doing them
    I need to keep trying i guess, i have just had a quick read of the program you suggested it looks pretty similar to what im doing now i might give it ago. Is this the right one: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...kinny_*******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spm)
    Current Stats:
    Lifts:
    Thanks
    Hey, you have similiar ish lifts to me, well more on upper body and less on lower body...

You looked at starting strength yet?
    Tis good for building up strength in squats/deadlifts...
    It's what i'm on...

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spm)
    I need to keep trying i guess, i have just had a quick read of the program you suggested it looks pretty similar to what im doing now i might give it ago. Is this the right one: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...kinny_*******s
    yeah that's it, Defranco's all about training athletes so this would suit your need best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Hey, you have similiar ish lifts to me, well more on upper body and less on lower body...

You looked at starting strength yet?
    Tis good for building up strength in squats/deadlifts...
    It's what i'm on...

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki
    Just had a good read of this, it looks good info looks solid one problem though, how the hell do you get this book haha, i cant find it on eBay or Amazon (UK)

Do you have it if so where did you get it from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spm)
    Just had a good read of this, it looks good info looks solid one problem though, how the hell do you get this book haha, i cant find it on eBay or Amazon (UK)

You don't need the book. I just used the wiki. It has a lot of info on every aspect of the program if you look around the wiki...

ReputationRep:
    You don't need the book. I just used the wiki. It has a lot of info on every aspect of the program if you look around the wiki...
    Yeh i have been looking around it for a while now, it looks solid some good things in there although id like to go more indepth if you know what i mean? for instance i want to learn the biomechanics of the squat and several other lifts. I guess i will have to research them indepentantly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spm)
    Yeh i have been looking around it for a while now, it looks solid some good things in there although id like to go more indepth if you know what i mean? for instance i want to learn the biomechanics of the squat and several other lifts. I guess i will have to research them indepentantly
    Yea if you do want to get indepth then just try and find the book. Think there is copies of the text of it around the internet in various shady illegal places but if you want to support the routine i do reccomend buying it. I have heard it's brilliant...

I just used various youtube vids to learn the lifts and got randomers at the gym to watch me and watched myself in the mirror...

First few weeks you start off very light anyway so it's easy to nail the technique...

ReputationRep:
    Yea if you do want to get indepth then just try and find the book. Think there is copies of the text of it around the internet in various shady illegal places but if you want to support the routine i do reccomend buying it. I have heard it's brilliant...

I just used various youtube vids to learn the lifts and got randomers at the gym to watch me and watched myself in the mirror...

First few weeks you start off very light anyway so it's easy to nail the technique...
    Yeh definatly need to find a place to get this book its avalible on amazon uk from an individual seller but its like £50

weird thing is i have video recordings of my lifts (i had to for my A level physical) and my form looks good but it doesnt feel like it is right if that makes any sense whatsoever. Im thinking its down to alot of tension in my thighs and hip region due to the injury, maybe tendons and ligaments need some strectch work..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spm)

Buy it direct from the author:
    http://aasgaardco.com/store/store.ph...on=show_detail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spm)
    I’m just coming back from an injury and I used to lift just for training for rugby. I’m now not playing and I want to improve to get bigger and more tone. Any help toward a new program would be appreciated.

Current Stats:

Lifts:

I’m very weak on the lower body and I’d like to improve that lots, reason I’m so low is down to injury.

Thanks
    How is your deadlift lower than your squat? If the technique is off get someone to help you like the gym instructor. I recently realised i was doing it wrong, basically the bar was too far away from my body so was putting too much strain on my lower back. When i lined it up with the middle of my foot it felt so much easier. Were as before i did 5 reps on 90kg i managed 9 reps on 100kg and even that was easy, probably could have got another 3 or 4 reps out.

As for programmes i would try westside for skinny *******s, ive just started it and seems pretty good and i like the choices of exercises you get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st_23)
    How is your deadlift lower than your squat?
    Injury mainly, my back is strong its my legs that are weak mainly my hamstrings hence lower lifts

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.