Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I've accepted an offer to do my Master's at the University of Manchester starting September 2011. It was my first choice program and I'm really excited about moving to Manchester. I've previously studied in the UK as an undergrad spring 2008 at the University of Sussex.

I got an accommodation packet from the university yesterday, and I've been looking through it. Initially I had no plan to try to live in campus housing. I'd much rather live in a house or flat with roommates to split the costs, like I do now (I work full-time).

However I've been reconsidering my decision to not look at residence halls. I know UoM has postgraduate-only housing and I think that might not be too bad, if I'm surrounded by people my age/study level. Plus I know it would be furnished and utilities and internet included.

I know at Sussex for example, I had a room with a twin bed, desk, wardrobe, and wash basin. We shared a kitchen among 10 or so people and we had 2 toilet/showers in the hall. This was frustrating at times as there was not much space for food in the kitchen and it would get crowded, but I didn't usually have problems with not being able to shower/use the bathroom when I needed to. Plus I know in a flat unless I'm in a larger home I'll probably have one bathroom anyway (at least from what friends have told me).

The halls I'm looking at range from about 90pw to 110pw. How does this compare to living in off campus, say in an area like Fallowfield or Chorlton, splitting with other people and having to pay utilities and internet/tv on top of that? (I don't really care about tv - so I won't buy a tv or get a tv license if I live in a residence hall). I mean in terms of price and in the standard of living. I know a couple of people in Manchester already but I'm hoping to make new friends, of course, and have people to get a pint with or go out with on the weekends if I get free time/my budget permits.

I also feel like reserving campus housing (guaranteed as an overseas student) will be easier and less stressful than trying to lease an apartment for 52 weeks, but I'm willing to make the effort if it seems worthwhile.

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavieenrouge)
    Hi there,

I've accepted an offer to do my Master's at the University of Manchester starting September 2011. It was my first choice program and I'm really excited about moving to Manchester. I've previously studied in the UK as an undergrad spring 2008 at the University of Sussex.

I got an accommodation packet from the university yesterday, and I've been looking through it. Initially I had no plan to try to live in campus housing. I'd much rather live in a house or flat with roommates to split the costs, like I do now (I work full-time).

However I've been reconsidering my decision to not look at residence halls. I know UoM has postgraduate-only housing and I think that might not be too bad, if I'm surrounded by people my age/study level. Plus I know it would be furnished and utilities and internet included.

I know at Sussex for example, I had a room with a twin bed, desk, wardrobe, and wash basin. We shared a kitchen among 10 or so people and we had 2 toilet/showers in the hall. This was frustrating at times as there was not much space for food in the kitchen and it would get crowded, but I didn't usually have problems with not being able to shower/use the bathroom when I needed to. Plus I know in a flat unless I'm in a larger home I'll probably have one bathroom anyway (at least from what friends have told me).

The halls I'm looking at range from about 90pw to 110pw. How does this compare to living in off campus, say in an area like Fallowfield or Chorlton, splitting with other people and having to pay utilities and internet/tv on top of that? (I don't really care about tv - so I won't buy a tv or get a tv license if I live in a residence hall). I mean in terms of price and in the standard of living. I know a couple of people in Manchester already but I'm hoping to make new friends, of course, and have people to get a pint with or go out with on the weekends if I get free time/my budget permits.

I also feel like reserving campus housing (guaranteed as an overseas student) will be easier and less stressful than trying to lease an apartment for 52 weeks, but I'm willing to make the effort if it seems worthwhile.

Thanks for any help!
    Hey, I've just accepted an offer on a postgrad course @ Manchester. Having same dilemna, although seriously veering towards moving in with randoms in Chorlton as it seems like to be a better area with excellent transport links and reasonable all inclusive rent! What did you decide in the end?

ReputationRep:
    ive been offered a place on a masters at manchester too... however i havent accepted it yet....

i have been looking at the accomo options, and im not too sure about going into halls or whether to pay the extra money and find my own place...

wat did you guys decide?

x

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.