The Student Room Group

How competitive is admission for Finance programmes at Bath/Durham/Bristol

Hey guys, I'm just trying to identify some good unis for doing a MSc (Accounting &) Finance in the UK.

Of course, LSE and Warwick are on the top of my list, but as I still have to take the GMAT and I haven't a clue whether my score will be good enough or not, it might be useful to have some alternatives.

I would therefore highly appreciate if anyone of you could tell me how competitive it is for international students (EU) to get admission for the Finance programmes at Bath, Durham or Bristol. What GMAT score is actually required to get an offer?

Which of these unis would you choose and why? Are there any other unis for accounting & finance that I should consider in my decision as well? Manchester, Lancaster, Edinburgh, Cass?

Would be great if some of you who applied for one of these programmes could share their profiles and whether the application has been successful :smile: cheers!
Reply 1
Cass would probably trump all the ones you've listed there bar LSE and Warwick. I think they require 600-800 on a GMAT which, from what I gather (I haven't done one yet either) might not be all that difficult.
Reply 2
You can find information on the average GMAT (MBA) for those universities with google, I think that's a good way to start. If I remember well Lancaster, Durham, Cass and Manchester have averages of around 620 - 650. I think that if you manage to score in that range you will be fine as long as the rest of your documents are strong as well.

I personally applied to the MSc Finance & Investment at Durham with a 640 GMAT but was offered instead the MA Financial Management because I didn't have enough statistics/quantitative courses during my undergraduate studies. Similar experience with Lancaster MSc Money, Banking and Finance.

I got an offer for the MSc Investment Management at Cass (which was anyway my first choice), mainly because -I believe- I have some relevant work experience (in asset management) and because I showed particular interest in the school (personally met with representatives, etc.).

To sum up, I think you should not only focus on your GMAT, you need an overall strong application.

Hope it helps.
Reply 3
Alright, many thanks for your answers so far!

My profile is:
- Meanwhile I have taken the GMAT and scored 620 (Q42, V34).
- TOEFL ibt 107
- BSc in Business Administration (majoring in Finance) at a German University, I expect an overall result of 2.0 (which, I reckon, is equivalent to a good upper-second degree)
- 3 internships (investment banking, management consulting, financial services)
- I've been working as a student assistant at the finance department & research centre of my uni for more than 2 years
- study abroad semester at a top10 UK uni

Where do I have realistic chances to get an offer for MSc (Accounting &) Finance? (application deadlines do not matter at the moment, as I am going to apply for entry in September/October 2012)

Are LSE (MSc A&F) and Warwick worth a try? I guess my GMAT is by far too low for these programmes, isn't it? Anyway, how realistic is admission for Cass, Manchester, Bristol, Durham, Bath?

Thanks for your help!!
Reply 4
Original post by MAccFin
Alright, many thanks for your answers so far!

My profile is:
- Meanwhile I have taken the GMAT and scored 620 (Q42, V34).
- TOEFL ibt 107
- BSc in Business Administration (majoring in Finance) at a German University, I expect an overall result of 2.0 (which, I reckon, is equivalent to a good upper-second degree)
- 3 internships (investment banking, management consulting, financial services)
- I've been working as a student assistant at the finance department & research centre of my uni for more than 2 years
- study abroad semester at a top10 UK uni

Where do I have realistic chances to get an offer for MSc (Accounting &) Finance? (application deadlines do not matter at the moment, as I am going to apply for entry in September/October 2012)

Are LSE (MSc A&F) and Warwick worth a try? I guess my GMAT is by far too low for these programmes, isn't it? Anyway, how realistic is admission for Cass, Manchester, Bristol, Durham, Bath?

Thanks for your help!!

Your GMAT is low for LSE and Warwick.

It'll be touch and go with the other 5. You may as well apply to all of them (perhaps for some of the less competitive courses) and you could well get a couple of offers.
Warwick does not really ask for GMAT so that's not a problem...you should be able to get in for the MSc Accounting and Finance programme if you graduate with a high score and have done relevant finance and quantitative modules.

however for LSE you will need a much better GMAT..
Reply 6
Original post by noodlesandsoup
Warwick does not really ask for GMAT so that's not a problem...

so you wouldn't suggest to submit my gmat score at all? it's probably the same with durham, bath and bristol as they say "gmat is not required, but if you've already taken the gmat it's helpful to include it in the application" ?

any other opinions?
Original post by MAccFin
so you wouldn't suggest to submit my gmat score at all? it's probably the same with durham, bath and bristol as they say "gmat is not required, but if you've already taken the gmat it's helpful to include it in the application" ?

any other opinions?

yes gmat is not necessary in those places
Reply 8
I am an international student and was offered a place at Warwick (MSc Finance) and I didn't do the GMAT test.

I am graduating with a first , have relevant work experience, internships (IB), vice president of an investment fund at my uni, tutor in some finance courses for the second year students, 113 TOEFL etc.

I'd say you have a decent shot at Warwick without the GMAT. Not sure if you should include it or not as 620 is not a very impressive score (not trying to be condecending, just objective).
Reply 9
Hi

I'm targeting the same uni (manchester, lancaster and the likes) , and I was wondering whether I should retake the Gmat. I scored recently 640 (quant:44 , verbal : 35), but my grades are quite low: 62% (overall average of a 4 years undergrad specialty: finance and accounting in a top business school in Morocco)

Thanks in advance.
Hey could you please give an update? Which university did you finally get into? I'm in the same situation now. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending