Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, first post.

I've been thinking for some time about undertaking to study part time a Masters in IR/security studies at one of the London Unis (War studies @ KCL, LSE, Queen Mary, UCL). I'm looking to start in 2012, so that I can earn enough for the tuition fees, but want to apply as early as possible. Ideally, I'd like to move on to a PhD in the field, and/or progressing into thinktank research work with groups such as Chatham House or international NGOs.

Is there any advice/tips anybody could offer for application to such a Masters course? I'm largely concerned that I graduated some time ago, in 2008, and so my references may not be stellar. How concerned should I be about this? Is there anything else I can do to bulk out my personal statement? I have the required 2:1 in International History & International Politics, though at the time I graduated I had little idea what I wanted to do with this.

Thanks for your time and help. Let me know if there's a more suitable forum I need to move this to.

ReputationRep:
    I guess the best advice is just to think carefully about what topic you might want to focus on, read up on some of the relevant literature in the field so you can use it in your proposal, and research potential supervisors carefully.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.