Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a housing dilemma and I recently came across a spare room in a 23 person house. Its an ok price of 95 pounds with bills and internet and a prime location. I found it online and want to see it but landlord is away, so in the mean time just considering the pros and cons of moving in here. It's a massive house and I know it'll be a mix of second years and of third years who are staying on from this year. Any input ?

ReputationRep:
    you wont get lonely
    meet new people
    not too bad price
    it could be a laugh

you may not like sharing with such a large amount of people
    get too cramped?

ReputationRep:
    God, imagine the state of the bathroom! I bet the queue for the toilet in the morning is horrendous...

ReputationRep:
    23?! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Could get noisy at times, which if you're wanting to work quietly would be annoying?
    Or if they are 22 other people whom you don't get on with well you'd feel really left out!

ReputationRep:
    It would be just like living in a small hall of residence, I suppose... I hope there are multiple kitchens/bathrooms?

ReputationRep:
    depending on house the house is divided it could be ok or absolute ****
    generally, they seem pretty crap and end up in a total mess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    God, imagine the state of the bathroom! I bet the queue for the toilet in the morning is horrendous...
    There are 10 bathrooms.

And yes, 23. It's massive. Layout of the house is a bit random. I saw one of the opposite side of the road for 21 people. It was dark and dire and smelt weird. But that one was a mix of students of all years and young professionals.

With 23, do you think people are likely to form cliques ? Would it be very similar to halls ? As opposed to a house being more cosey and homely.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Imagine the messsss

ReputationRep:
    23 :lolwut:

I am dreading the thought of sharing with ten students at University... but 23?

ReputationRep:
    Also, currently I'm living in a 12 person flat with 8 guys and only 2 other girls.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you are. In Newcastle 95 for the centre of the city with bills and internet included would be a fair price, whereas my mate in Sunderland can get the mackem equivalent for less than 60 quid.

If it's a fair price for where you are, that's a good pro. Obviously you don't know what it will be like.

ReputationRep:
    More food to steal - more diffused responsibility

But...

More chance of someone walking in on you having a dump.

ReputationRep:
    are we allowed to BUMP ?

ReputationRep:
    how can a house be that big

it will be like halls, i reckon. depends who you share with as to how you'll get on with them... but as there's so many people, there's a good chance of you making at least one friend. on the other hand, if they arent friendly..you're in a massive house with nobody so would feel extra lonely.

i reckon you need a viewing to help you figure out what its like. then maybe go with your gut instinct?

im totally imagining you living in a mansion haha. like a castle or something. if it is a mansiony castley thingy, you should defo live there :p:

ReputationRep:
    So its good becuase its not that expensive and in a good location, but i can imagine living with 23 people would not be condusive, especially in the second year, to working at home. I live with 12 at the moment (in first year) in halls, and i cant work in my room, its either too noisy or im too easily distracted by my flatmates doing something more interesting than tort law :P

Pro: Location, Price, never lonely, make lots of new friends

Cons: Too many people, will probably be quite cliquey, mess might be a big issue, shared responsibility of that large a space can be a pain.

My opinion, if your interested: Only go for it if you have to, try and find a smaller house, but having faced a fairly epic housing crisis this year i can well appreciate the feeling of not having a lot of choice in the matter. PM me if you want someone to talk to about it

ReputationRep:
    How many sharing a kitchen?

ReputationRep:
    Whoa! That must be one big house! How many bathrooms are there?!

ReputationRep:
    Is it this 23 bedroom house by any chance?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ReputationRep:
    :O 23?! Mental.

I live in a 7 bed house and with 6 other lads. keeping that clean and getting some sleep when people are coming back in from a night out can be a bit difficult!
    Having said that, its a great laugh, there is always something going on, someone to tit about with just watch tv or play xbox. There is always food around as well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.