Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you have any questions about the PR course at Westminster holla at me. I'll answer them as best I can. (Although it is one heck of a course ). Fire away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barby92)
    If you have any questions about the PR course at Westminster holla at me. I'll answer them as best I can. (Although it is one heck of a course ). Fire away!
    There is a report advertising button for a reason

ReputationRep:
    LOL oh no! I'm not advertising at all...that's why I said i'm studying PR at Westminster..it's for students who have applied and need help with knowing more about the course. When I applied last year no one told me much about it, and I went on sights like this looking for people to help me and no one did. That's why I started this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I was like that! Looking for information and literally no one is here or anywhere really, which is weird because studying PR you should be online everywhere lol
    Now had an interview and offer, so know a bit more about it.

What about, how do you enjoy the course yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I totally get you!!!
    When I first thought doing a course on PR there was like NO HELP! It's a media course so you'd think there'd be more media right?
    Like you in the interview is where I got most of the info...
    and I'm glad I went along because I absolutely love my course! It's very practical and soooo emersed in the media because ALL our lecturers are media/PR professionals, so we get taught by journalists etc...
    So yeah I'm loving it!
    Where are you thinking of studying? I study at Westminster...
    Any tips you want me to give you since the online world doesn't seem to be helping LOL

ReputationRep:
    Hey!! I will probably be studyin PR in westminster next year and since i am an international student (im from Rome) i really dont know much about the uni except for the rank, fees and stuff so i would LOVE to get to talk to someone who can explain me some things! it'd be so useful!! could i add you on facebook or something? or just contact u by email? i would definitely appreciate it let me know! x

ReputationRep:
    Hiya I've got Westminister as my firm, I got a clearing offer last year but declined it as I was very unsure at the time. I've been to the open day and I really liked how small and intimate the university is compared to others I've visited, the main reason I'm hoping to go here is the location first and foremost. I'm hoping to study Politics and IR so this is just about as central as you can get to the hubub, the speakers, the seminars, the rallies, and the action.
    How is the university socially, and how are the prices in the area that's my main concern.

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh hi!
    Well, first of all the social life is wicked! It really is...
    Especially when you get to know your class, you'll have a blast trust me...
    I absolutely love it!
    Prices are good you just have to know where to look...you said you were going to the central campus, but i'm based in the harrow campus so i'm not too sure, but from what my friends say at the central campuses prices are good, (it is central after all LOL), best thing to do would be to invest in an NUS card because there are some good offers such as a discount on driving lessons..etc...
    There's so much to write...I'll add you on facebook like you said.

ReputationRep:
    hi
    I 'm French and i got an offer for PR so excited.But i am still waitin for my student id ,then i will be able to apply for accomodation.Thinkin of interational halls or marybleone becose Harrow is quiet far .So really, is that good lectures ....
    It is true that most of PR student are gurls lol, dont really like that because between girls we can be such b*****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flashinskin)
    hi
    I 'm French and i got an offer for PR so excited.But i am still waitin for my student id ,then i will be able to apply for accomodation.Thinkin of interational halls or marybleone becose Harrow is quiet far .So really, is that good lectures ....
    It is true that most of PR student are gurls lol, dont really like that because between girls we can be such b*****
    that's true, though don't worry, i'm on the same course as Barby92 and everyone's fine. were all mature. Though the girls do really outweigh the guys on our course.

ReputationRep:
    Ok and i want in my third or second year going to another country ! For PR ,what are country allow for Erasmus ?
    In which years will be able to do my erasmus ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi im in international student from Los Angeles, I got an offer from westminster and goldsmiths for the PR courses. What are your experiences like in harrow? How is the course preparing you? I want to work in the music industry for PR...so is westminster the right place for that?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm soo glad I found this page.
    Got an offer for PR , I'm from Rome too !!

I have some doubts, someone advised me to go to U of Greenwich because there's a great PR course there. I'd like to know why PR there is at Business School department ? Westminster instead- School of Media..booooooooooh
    I've done an interview at Westminster and they accepted me, need 75% on my exams. there were no interview at Greenwich and when I got there nobody was available from the business school department- I felt a little bit dissapointed.

I'm looking for somebody who could possibly compare Westminster and Greenwich, or at least is studying PR at Greenwich :/
    I really liked Westminster when I got there, but I really have no idea which uni would be better,.. I can't find anyone who's doing PR in Greenwich, so I'm glad I can have some informations about Westminster here...

How many people are there (I mean the course)? What about studying abroad, is anyone doing Erasmus? Simon Goldsworthy told me there are students who were sent to Sydney, Canada , Hong Kong.
    Do people live at the Harrow Campus or in the centre? and do you like the social life? any sports?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about not getting back to you...

The PR course at Westminster is not at the business school. Well the Harrow Campus holds the business school so i guess its known for it, but in reality harrow has a lot of media also in it. PR is part of the school of media (so don't worry you can study PR for music).

The PR course is at first glance more political, but that's more for the fact that the teachers are from the political side of PR (trevor morris is from the consumer side and teachers also). However in the second and third year you choose optional courses which you can specialize. Then you can take courses from other media courses and those sound seriously good. I suggest don't take first year at face value of the entire course. Its just the beginning and westminster has a lot of teachers with serious experience to offer. (check some of their profile out for some more info)

In terms of how many people are there... there are about 30 in my class. Some have dropped out. There are way more girls than boys and there are more people who are internationally based or who have had gap years than people straight out of school. However everyone is respectful, so don't worry.

Okay so studying abroad. I'm actually applying for studying abroad (in Hong Kong). You can do Erasmus but I haven't spoken to anyone who has. The best places for PR however is Australia and the US. I think the only european one is spain. The link for more info is : http://westminster.ac.uk/study/inter...nster-students.

Essentially the course is 3 years, meaning that we can't study abroad for a year. But you can study abroad for a term. Its usually in the second year as final year has work experience and a dissertation to write.

ReputationRep:
    Harrow is a nice enough place. There are amenaties but i don't live on campus so i could say anything more. Most people go to harrow on the hill for things to do. Honestly if you want the best student life, i'd say to live on campus. There's a better chance for you to mix and make friends if you live there. The dorms apparently arn't so bad. Though i guess it depends on which dorm you get. Its more like living in rooms rather than an apartment. You may however find that Westminster isn't as friendly as a university that is like sheffield where the entire city is a student based. Its a london based university so many students commute. Because of that chances to talk to other students are low. But if you get yourself out there and talk to other people it should be fine. Hence the whole living on campus idea.

ReputationRep:
    thank you !! I chose Westminster as my firm choice, I've arleady been there, looked around and I think I'll feel great there.
    Well, I'm sure living on campus is a great idea , but I'll probably find a room somewhere, also because probably I'll look for a part time job or sth, and surely I'll have some old friends around, lol.

are you from London?
    Hong Kong sounds great. Good luck with that!
    will you do a Postgraduate course after the BA ?
    well, one more thing.... Simon told me that there aren't exams. I think he meant that king of exams involving eating thousands of theory books. He mentioned projects and other stuff, how does it work exactly ?

ReputationRep:
    Well PR is basically a coursework based course. So there literally arn't any exams. Well apart from any optional courses you may want to take. There's a bunch of projects/assignments that we do through out the year and we get marked on those. You should get more info on your first day of the induction week. You'll get a handbook. Oh one tip: you have to at least pass every module to get onto second year though first year marks don't go towards the final mark though.

I am from london. South west london to be precise. So the commute looses me sleep.?honestly my plans after is to get some experience in the field and build up my cv. So I'm going to do some traveling. Maybe. Good luck with next year. I may see you around.

ReputationRep:
    hi i am thinking of taking this course, i looked online and it said that the grade requirements were 3 B's i was wondering whether you need 3 B's or the equivalent in UCAS points, it would be really helpful to know the grades of some of you already on the course,

thanks

ReputationRep:
    hey,

How I got on to the course (luckily) is by getting the equivalent of 3b's in ucas points.

Most of the university's courses goes by the ucas points rather than grades, but i wouldn't quote me on that i'm not too sure.

I'm currently on the course so if you have any more questions i'd be happy to answer...

Good luck on your exams and stuff

Hannah

ReputationRep:
    Hong Kong is amazing!! What school are you going to?

On a side note, I'd really like some info about the MA PR @ Westminster. Questions such as:

How is it?
    Was it hard to get in (motivation letter-wise?)
    What are you doing now? Did you get your dream job/internship?
    How is the campus?
    How are the teachers? Did you really get practical experience?

Any help is appreciated

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 29, 2016

University open days

• University of Westminster
    All Departments will be open. Undergraduate
    Sat, 10 Nov '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.