The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

At the moment I'm studying Public Relations at Westminster university.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey,

Good to know your applying. I did have an interview and though it was 4 years ago I doubt the structure has changed.

You go into the interview room. Its a group interview with about 10. They ask you questions such as why do you want to do the course. what do you know about public relations and a few hypothetical questions.

My hypothetical question was 'if you were working in a public relations firm would you do any work they asked you' 'if the campaign they gave you was a smoking one what would you do' 'if the campaign was a smoking campaign in targeted at third world teenagers what would you do'.

Its a good idea to give a yes or no answer then explain your choice like you would in an exam. Give a full answer using any experience or knowledge that you have. I did health and social care at GCSE and philosophy and ethics at A Level so that's what I used. Also don't use the same example's of experience all the time. Your point in the interview is to make you look like they want to accept you. they need to like you.

Another tip I would give is not to always go with the majority in whatever answer or question they give you. All but me and another girl said yes to the 2nd question and gave a full answer.

Lastly they'll ask for any questions. It's a good idea if you have a question on hand. Showing that you have an interest in the university such as going on study abroad placement or whether they do advertising as well shows you have a genuine interest in the university and the subject.

A final tip I would give is to go in business attire. You may not like to do it but it won't do you wrong. Going in smart formal wear will show again your serious about the subject.

I hope this all helps. Good Luck on your interview!

Hannah
(edited 10 years ago)
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 41
Hello,

I'm also am A level student and I have an interview on Wednesday!!! I'm petrified because I'm unaware of what they may ask or what the interview will involve! I havnt got as much experience as a media student may have an worried they may stump me out on a question or may not accept me for that reason! PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Thank you xx
Reply 42
Original post by ROOMIE
Hello,

I'm also am A level student and I have an interview on Wednesday!!! I'm petrified because I'm unaware of what they may ask or what the interview will involve! I havnt got as much experience as a media student may have an worried they may stump me out on a question or may not accept me for that reason! PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Thank you xx

its literally exactly what hchan1 said above, like word for word exactly what they asked me. im in 3rd year now and i dont think much more wouldve changed.
Reply 43
Hi. I'm gonna apply for PR & Advertising this Sep. Tbh, I always dream of working in the music industry but I dont wanna study Commercial Music. So with PR degree, can I work in record label or music industry in general? Btw r u guys all satisfactory with PR course in Westminster?
Reply 44
Hi,

Sorry for not getting back to you.

Well honestly Public Relations is about promotion so if you want to work in music you can do a public relations course and then try to get into music public relations. I have a few friends who have done that.

However you have to understand that the music industry is heavily reliant on experience. Its one of those sectors like politics that when working in press you have to have something else other than a PR degree to back you up. I would suggest that if your really interested in getting into music, maybe call up a few human resources departments at the end of a working day to ask a few questions. Say your a student looking for advice. They won't mind. Or you could call up the lecturers at the University. They'll be happy to help any potential students.

As to the PR course itself at Westminster is there anything specific you want to know?

Hannah
Reply 45
Hi Hannah, thx 4 ur reply. Overall r u satisfactory with everything? What about the sandwich year (or sth I'm not sure :biggrin:). Can I choose (placement) on my own or the professors help me choose? Sorry for my English if u find it difficult to understand cuz I'm from Vietnam
Reply 46
Hello! I was just wondering how many days a week do you have to be at uni when studying PR and advertising?
Reply 47
Hey! I am applying for that too! Can I leave you my email so we can keep in touch? I'd love to talk to someone who's going to be in my same course. (IF they do accept me, that is!) :smile: Hope to hear from you :smile:
Original post by Barby92
If you have any questions about the PR course at Westminster holla at me. I'll answer them as best I can. (Although it is one heck of a course :wink: :biggrin: ). Fire away!

what where the interview questions like to get on this course??
Original post by reynolds111
what where the interview questions like to get on this course??

Hello

If you are invited to attend an interview for Public Relations at Westminster the course tutor will want to know about your motivations and interest in the subject area. It would be useful to have an understanding of what PR is and what you like about the subject area. It may be useful to have an idea of what you might like to do career wise after the course is finished. Other than that, interviews are informal and friendly. Students talk about what they are currently studying and include any extra-curricular activity such as sports, volunteering or any awards they may have won.

Best of luck!

Kim
Course Enquiries Team :smile:
Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Original post by University of Westminster
Hello

If you are invited to attend an interview for Public Relations at Westminster the course tutor will want to know about your motivations and interest in the subject area. It would be useful to have an understanding of what PR is and what you like about the subject area. It may be useful to have an idea of what you might like to do career wise after the course is finished. Other than that, interviews are informal and friendly. Students talk about what they are currently studying and include any extra-curricular activity such as sports, volunteering or any awards they may have won.

Best of luck!

Kim
Course Enquiries Team :smile:
Original post by Barby92
If you have any questions about the PR course at Westminster holla at me. I'll answer them as best I can. (Although it is one heck of a course :wink: :biggrin: ). Fire away!

Hey, I applied for this course as well, however I haven't received an offer yet :frown:, can I ask when you received yours? I sent mine through UCAS in the middle of October. I know you already study there, but the approximate time of your offer could be same every year haha...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending