Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've got an article to write for my uni work and I'm hoping people can help me.

It's going to be about eating disorders and also the media's portrayal of people with eating disorders - how they use really extreme images all the time, and how only skinny people can model etc.

I am just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share their experiences of eating disorders with me?

Either how you have dealt with them, or if you currently have one, the sorts of things you do to ensure you don't have to eat as much as you should for example?

I would be really grateful for any help,

Thanks

(Original post by Marie911002)
    Hi,

It's going to be about eating disorders and also the media's portrayal of people with eating disorders - how they use really extreme images all the time, and how only skinny people can model etc.

I am just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share their experiences of eating disorders with me?

Either how you have dealt with them, or if you currently have one, the sorts of things you do to ensure you don't have to eat as much as you should for example?

Thanks
    Lots of vomiting

ReputationRep:
    I found that when I was researching EDs for a story, looking for personal 'weight loss' blogs on tumblr helped. A really good one (Yet very triggering, please don't click if you don't have to!) would be this one: http://confessionsabouteatingdisorders.tumblr.com/ it's a compilation of secrets and feelings about EDs that people around the world have submitted. It helped me learn a lot about the behaviour and habits.

Hopefully it helps, but please don't do what I did and get too absorbed in it. It can lead to some... bad thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of lying and manipulating. I pick fights at mealtimes so I don't have to sit with people and eat.

ReputationRep:
    distractions, lots and lots of them. stop you thinking about eating and also stop you from thinking about what you are doing to yourself. this is why i am re-watching charmed through again.

ReputationRep:
    OCD can also play a part: only being 'able' to use certain plates, bowls, cutlery etc.

as a guy, i hate how people pretend mine doesn't exist. people are so quick to ignoring my problem than to acknowleding it. it makes me invisible, which i both hate and like...

i feel incredibly isolated

sleep.. If you're asleep, you don't really feel hungry. Not a tip btw! Just what I used to do.

ReputationRep:
    nothing tastes as good as thin feels. Try looking on pro ana websites, For me it is about contorl, perfection rountine...
    Food and exercise is all you think about every day

I used to crush bits of cereal in the bottom of a bowl with some milk every morning so it looked like I'd eaten something. I'd also pour milk down the sink and put cereal in bags so I could throw it away. I'd also make sandwiches for lunch even though I'd throw them away at school too. I put so much effort into pretending I eat for my parents. I knew I couldn't get away with eating tea as we always ate together as a family, but I made sure it was the only thing I'd eat all day, and I'd make sure I never cleared my plate. Hard to do when you're that weak and hungry because you haven't eaten for 24 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marie911002)
    Hi,

Thanks

I currently suffer from anorexia. I told my friends the day I found out because my face just seemed to scream ‘’there’s something wrong with me’’ and when I told them, they were really blown away because i’ve always lied about my insecurities and if spoken to about it, i’d say ‘’i’m comfortable with my weight. I don’t care what anyone else thinks. if i’m comfortable with it then why isn’t anyone else?’’ although the ‘’i don’t care what anyone else thinks’’ part is true, i beg to differ with the rest! I’m between a size 10/12 and i know this isn’t exactly ‘fat’ or ‘big’ but when i look in the mirror, i feel the most uncomfortable i’ve ever felt in my life! No joke.

In my PE lessons at school, we started doing aerobics and after my first lesson on this, i found it to be a great work out so i started doing it at home but the day came where i pulled a muscle and couldn’t do it properly. I still did it. I gave it my all and left nothing. I was desperate to lose weight after finding this effective exercise! now i'm the only person left standing after the 30min aerobics session in my class! people always ask ''how do u stand it? its like ur dancin away while we're all killin ourselves after the first 2 minutes! do u do exercise at home?''
    and ofcourse, i don't want anyone to know about my insecurities so i just shake my head coz its the anorexia that drives me to do the exercise.
    that saying, i count calories. that's it. i count everything i eat in a day and if i exceed 700/800kcal, then i stop what i'm eating and keep it for the day after

now as for the media, it's created this thing where girls who look like bean poles can only be classed as anorexic. i've got curves and i suffer from anorexia. no one knows because i don't look like what the media whores out
    people always cry because there aren't enough ''plus size models''. it's like there can only be stick thin models or pluz size ones - never in the middle. but when they have models who are in the middle - so called ''average'' ones, they still look toned!

i found out i had anorexia last week sometime but i realised i've had it for a couple of months. my friends found out on the day and i told my family a couple of days later. my friends said i can talk to them whenever i wanted but when i bring the subject up, they're so quick to change it. my family i thought i could rely on but some of them are in denial and the others just wanna argue with me and say things like ''if you know you're not eating right then why do you do it? you know you should be eating more so stop starving yourself and eat!''
    i knew they'd react like this. i wasnt gonna tell them at all but it all happened so fast in my sudden act of stupidity when i did [tell them]

there's more so let me know if you wanna know more and i'll be happy to give you tell you everything!

my case isn't you're typical 'anorexic in denial where she doesnt realise until someone points it out for her but even then she doesn't wanna believe it'.
    my one is more 'realise that you have anorexia now because your best friends and family are too selfish to realise that you've got it and when you tell them, don't try and talk to them about because they've made it clear that they're either bored of hearing about it even though you literally brought it up in conversation only twice or they're in denial about YOUR anorexia'.

sorry, this has turned into a little bit of a rant :headfire: lol

but yeah, if you wanna know more, send me a message and let me know! i'll be more than happy to give you my story

ReputationRep:
    I'm a (recovered) anorexic, feel free to ask me about it!

Also try going on prettythin, its a support site, and a big help in my recovery, though some see it as 'pro ana'. Dont ask the members about there ED's (they get grumpy quickly) but you can read what the people are feeling, and what they've gone through, its a great help.
    Also PLEASE dont forget about EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified) and BED (binge eating disorder) Those are so easily overlooked by everyone, the media allways focus's more on anorexia and bullimia.
    If you're feeling really dedicated read the book 'Wasted' by Marya Hornbacher, she goes through ana and mia, and a period of EDNOS. It'sa brilliant book, and really lets you into the mind of an eating disordered person.
    Dont forget to google 'thinspo' and 'proana', lots of stuff will come up!

My self, I suffer(ed) from ana because of the need to control things in life. I dont have a good father-daughter relationship (always a problem, or so I hear). I have a very self deafeting personality also. Thankfully, after one drunken night, I blabbed to my friends about my ED. They helped me through it now, though I don have the odd relapse.
    My BMI went as low as 13.8, ofcourse my periods stopped. My BMI is 16.2 atm, which seems disgustingly high to me, but whatever:/

Anorexics are also obsessed with food. Everything becomes about food. And being forced to eat is the most welcome punishment to an anorexic. The media portrays anorexics as food haters- there not.

Also there is a steriotype, of anorexics being the more controlled and classy eating disorder, while bullimia is a messy, 'weaker' form of eating disorder- by giving into the temptations of food (oh what a sin!)

Anywho, time to go and get pizza with my friends....(must not throw up after)
    Yes, recovery is nice :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I used to crush bits of cereal in the bottom of a bowl with some milk every morning so it looked like I'd eaten something. I'd also pour milk down the sink and put cereal in bags so I could throw it away. I'd also make sandwiches for lunch even though I'd throw them away at school too. I put so much effort into pretending I eat for my parents. I knew I couldn't get away with eating tea as we always ate together as a family, but I made sure it was the only thing I'd eat all day, and I'd make sure I never cleared my plate. Hard to do when you're that weak and hungry because you haven't eaten for 24 hours.
    I used to do all of this :[ Thank god for family meals or I would have starved to death :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo!xx)
    I used to do all of this :[ Thank god for family meals or I would have starved to death :/
    Me too, and crumbling up bread crumbs on a plate to look like toast had been eaten ketchup smeared on a plate... and opening cupboards, fridges rattling packets gosh the lengths we go to...

I've had bulimia for about 3-4 years now, and it's 'apparently' progressed into borderline anorexia as a result of me trying to tone the purging down. I simply reduced the amount I ate. I eat about 600-800 cals a day and If I go over to say 1100 i'll purge.
    I see a counselor at school, but tbh it just makes it worse. And no matter how little I eat I still cant lose the weight. I faint frequently, I feel alone. I feel that nobody understands and I'm scared to tell anybody. My periods are very irregular, i never know when they are coming.
    On good weeks when I'm sticking to my food plan I'm aggressive, moody, snappy etc. I sometimes shake uncontrollably and I frequently hear voices in my head.
    I belong to many online 'forums', call it what you want and I also have a tumblr illustrating my 'progress'.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I've had anorexia for about 5 years now and what I can say about it is that, it's not really about the food. Thats the coping mechanism. Like an alcoholic uses alcohol to deal with their problems. I use food as a control. I struggle with the fact that things happen in the world that I can't control, death, illness... So I used food to to copensate. I had low self confindence and self esteem so the food was a way to punish myself. My life soon became ruled by fear and anxiety. I've been sectioned 2 times, 4 hospital admissions for a total of 18 months.
    The lengths people with an eating disorder go to are extreme and sad.
    Beat has some good resources. They have a page dedicated to people who have sadly passed away as a result of the illness. It's sad, tragic and makes you realise how real and deadly eating disorders are.

Having bulimia is awful. I've had it for 7 years now but I've been trying my best to stop. I havent b/p for 28 days and counting. Pretty big milestone for me.
    It used to be all about the food and not wanting to put on weight. But after a while it just controls you. Messes up your psyche. You literaly think of food non stop. Every second of your life is governed by food.
    Anyway, I've been trying my best to recover and I hope 28 days increases. I basically scared myself into stopping. Read about all the side effects.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mentalhealthhelpUK
    This youtube channel helped me out so much. Literally, SO much.

Oh, I forgot to mention, watch Supersize vs Superskinny.
    Last season they covered anorexia. This season they're covering variations of bulimia.

ReputationRep:
    Have you watched "Dana - the 8 year old anorexic?" It's on youtube and is informing, it features other anorexics too in rhodes farm. One particularly touched me. "I'd never be doing this in a million years if it was just about being skinny, I'd never hurt my family so much" paraphrased because I have a bad memory.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.