Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm not horridly overweight and was never considered fat (but never slim either), but this year I've really packed on the pounds and have started to be at that line where I'm considered 'big' and strategic clothing doesn't hide it anymore.

I'm going to work out all summer before university, but right now honestly I just want to lose weight especially on my arms in the next 3 months before my senior prom because we wear long dresses and the only thing that really shows is our arms lol. I'm only a couple inches from them looking toned and I know there's no quick fix, so please no lectures on that, and I will never starve or fad diet, but I don't have access to a gym right now because I have my A-Levels coming up and my parents don't want to pay if I won't even be able to go that often, so I'm restricted to these cardio workout videos, are these good for losing weight? They do leave you pretty winded at the end of the workout and they are basically designed for weight-loss, so I'm guessing it should be okay? Oh and I would use weights and weight-workouts as well.

Diet-wise, I'm trying to just eat healthy and cut out high-fat foods from my diet.

Now does anyone have any tips that could help speed up the weight loss process or perhaps target specifically my arms? I know you have to lose weight all over, but obviously if you do heavily work out your arms, there will be weight loss in that area.

ANY tips, advice and help would really be appreciated, please, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saks10111)
    Hi,

Diet-wise, I'm trying to just eat healthy and cut out high-fat foods from my diet.

Now does anyone have any tips that could help speed up the weight loss process or perhaps target specifically my arms? I know you have to lose weight all over, but obviously if you do heavily work out your arms, there will be weight loss in that area.

YEA!!!!!!! No...

If you do proper upper body work like bench press/curls etc then your muscles will grow which will make the fat appear less... But you can't spot reduce fat.

It's simple really... Calories in< Calories out

Then you'll lose fat.

You got 6 months. More than enough time to do it properly..

ReputationRep:
    good advice.

ReputationRep:
    make your workouts of a good quality. no slacking and not too much resting time during a session. the ideal is to warm up and warm down, and once you pass about 25-30 minutes during a session and keeping a high heart rate 75% of maximum bpm(this is calculated by various things) you then start losing fat.

Also another sage piece of advice: START NOW, tomorrow never comes

ReputationRep:
    Spot reduction is a myth.
    You can only lose fat from all over your body.

To lose fat, you need to have a calorie deficit of about 500 from your RMR.

You don't even need to do cardio, just eat properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saks10111)
    Hi,

I'm not horridly overweight and was never considered fat (but never slim either), but this year I've really packed on the pounds and have started to be at that line where I'm considered 'big' and strategic clothing doesn't hide it anymore.

I'm going to work out all summer before university, but right now honestly I just want to lose weight especially on my arms in the next 3 months before my senior prom because we wear long dresses and the only thing that really shows is our arms lol. I'm only a couple inches from them looking toned and I know there's no quick fix, so please no lectures on that, and I will never starve or fad diet, but I don't have access to a gym right now because I have my A-Levels coming up and my parents don't want to pay if I won't even be able to go that often, so I'm restricted to these cardio workout videos, are these good for losing weight? They do leave you pretty winded at the end of the workout and they are basically designed for weight-loss, so I'm guessing it should be okay? Oh and I would use weights and weight-workouts as well.

Nope sorry, the body works as a unit, energy is stored all over and used all over and if fat is used the same is true.

You need to do heavy resistance excercises, bench press, overhead press, skull crushers - not those pathetic aerobic weights.

To be toned you either have to be a musical instrument or build muscle and lose fat.

ReputationRep:
    Resistance exercise (google bodyweight exercises) and start running - cheap and free, and beautiful at this time of year :p:. 6 months is MORE than enough time.

Don't "try to" cut out the junk. Just do it.

ReputationRep:
    I've been weight training for about 6 months now (bench, deadlift, squat, other random exercises), and the place I've noticed the most difference is definitely my arms. They are the same size as before but now they look strong instead of just flabby...in person anyway. Don't know if it would make a difference for your senior prom photos though :p: If you're that worried, wear a shrug or a wrap.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.