Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can someone please tell me the very basics of finance for a Primary PGCE.

Can you get a student loan for the course fee?
    Can you get a maintenance loan?
    What other funding is available? I read somewhere that there is a £4000 grant for a primary PGCE but could someone confirm this?

On another note, as everyone knows the university fees are rising, but will this be just the undergraduate courses or do you know/expect the cost of a PGCE rising dramatically in the next few years?

ReputationRep:
    - Yes, the same as undergraduate

- Yes

- No. The government cut that grant without warning.

And fees will be rising to, what we can only assume is £9,000, when all the other fees do. So 2011 entry will be £3kish, whereas it will jump up in 2012 when everything else does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)

- Yes

And fees will be rising to, what we can only assume is £9,000, when all the other fees do. So 2011 entry will be £3kish, whereas it will jump up in 2012 when everything else does.
    Smiley face to the first two answers

Sad face to the third

:mad: Very angry face at the last. I can't believe this :'( Suppose it will be worth it in the end.

ReputationRep:
    I know, it's really awful =/

I'm applying for secondary English and they got rid of that bursary too. I could understand if they introduced it for 2012 so people had a bit of advanced warning but September 2011 is in like, 6 months! That is not enough time to scratch an extra £4k out of thin air =/

You should look on funderfinder and Turn2us.org to see if you are eligible for any free grants, that might ease the sad face a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)

- Yes

Can you get the same maintenance grant from student loans company as with an undergraduate degree?

Also am I right in thinking that 25year olds are considered to be mature students and therefore independent? So that finance is calculated on their income not parents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)
    Can you get the same maintenance grant from student loans company as with an undergraduate degree?

Also am I right in thinking that 25year olds are considered to be mature students and therefore independent? So that finance is calculated on their income not parents?

Yes, that is right!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.