Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can someone please tell me the very basics of finance for a Primary PGCE.

Can you get a student loan for the course fee?
    Can you get a maintenance loan?
    What other funding is available? I read somewhere that there is a £4000 grant for a primary PGCE but could someone confirm this?

On another note, as everyone knows the university fees are rising, but will this be just the undergraduate courses or do you know/expect the cost of a PGCE rising dramatically in the next few years?

ReputationRep:
    - Yes, the same as undergraduate

- Yes

- No. The government cut that grant without warning.

And fees will be rising to, what we can only assume is £9,000, when all the other fees do. So 2011 entry will be £3kish, whereas it will jump up in 2012 when everything else does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)

- Yes

And fees will be rising to, what we can only assume is £9,000, when all the other fees do. So 2011 entry will be £3kish, whereas it will jump up in 2012 when everything else does.
    Smiley face to the first two answers

Sad face to the third

:mad: Very angry face at the last. I can't believe this :'( Suppose it will be worth it in the end.

ReputationRep:
    I know, it's really awful =/

I'm applying for secondary English and they got rid of that bursary too. I could understand if they introduced it for 2012 so people had a bit of advanced warning but September 2011 is in like, 6 months! That is not enough time to scratch an extra £4k out of thin air =/

You should look on funderfinder and Turn2us.org to see if you are eligible for any free grants, that might ease the sad face a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)

- Yes

Can you get the same maintenance grant from student loans company as with an undergraduate degree?

Also am I right in thinking that 25year olds are considered to be mature students and therefore independent? So that finance is calculated on their income not parents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)
    Can you get the same maintenance grant from student loans company as with an undergraduate degree?

Also am I right in thinking that 25year olds are considered to be mature students and therefore independent? So that finance is calculated on their income not parents?

Yes, that is right!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.