Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am 17 years old and I passed my test last week. I am trying to look for a car baring in mind I have a strict budget between £1000- £2000. I have looked through auto traider and found absolutely nothing that suits me well most cars are a bit old and have done too many odd miles. Does anyone have any other websites or such to get cars on the cheap?

ReputationRep:
    Watto's scrap heap.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be expecting good mileage for 1-2K mate....

Auto trader has almost every car on there, so if you don't like any of them then you're doomed.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from Autotrader:

http://motors.ebay.co.uk

www.pistonheads.com/classifieds

ReputationRep:
    Roads are generally a good place to look. Plenty of cars around.

On a serious note, autotrader is probably your best bet. If there isn't anything on there atm, you may just have to keep checking regularly.

ReputationRep:
    If its not on autotrader you're not going to find a good car.

Don't discount something being 'old'. My car is 13 years old and its been great to me for the last few years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)

Don't discount something being 'old'. My car is 13 years old and its been great to me for the last few years.
    This. OP you are paying £1-2k, you expecting a Phantom? Buy an old car and enjoy having it, it will have 'character'

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the thing about character.

My car has a big old dent in the back from when I bought it, it only has 1 hubcap, no CD player, just a cassette and a radio that pops out of the dashboard when it fancies, the door handle on the inside I have to whack back in with my elbow every now and again and it only unlocks from one side, but I love it anyway, its awesome

ReputationRep:
    I have a 1998 Honda Civic. I paid £1200 for it as it was in absolutely pristine condition and runs very well with a FSH - all its previous owners had obviously been very careful drivers and people who looked after it in general.

It had 50 something thousand on the clock when I got it a year ago and I've run up nearly ten thousand on that, including a lot of long distance motorway journeys, and never had a single problem.

Don't discount a car for its age - a 13 year old car can easily be in far, far better condition than a 5 year old car and mine really doesn't seem outdated - it has alloys, cantral locking, air con, electric windows, an electric sunroof, a retrofitted ipod/CD radio etc.

Mine was from ebay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Craig 1888)
    I am 17 years old and I passed my test last week. I am trying to look for a car baring in mind I have a strict budget between £1000- £2000. I have looked through auto traider and found absolutely nothing that suits me well most cars are a bit old and have done too many odd miles. Does anyone have any other websites or such to get cars on the cheap?
    Find what good used car garages are near you (using google map if you need to) and look on their websites. Or go to the garages direct and look. But you can get something decent for £1000-£2000. And keep looking on auto trader, the stuff changes on there all the time.

ReputationRep:
    You could advertise on facebook? Put a status saying your looking for a car and hope one of your friends knows someone who's selling one. That's how I found mine, 8 year old vauxhall corsa, 25K miles for under £2000 that runs perfectly. I was lucky, but give it ago if your struggling to find anything on autotrader, if that fails just keep checking regularly, I've also heard ford fiesta's run like a tank, my parents brought one for me for like £400 and it was still running after like 14 years, but it got given to my sister when hers broke down.

ReputationRep:

Err I don't think so.
    I've had over 30 cars and bought just 1 of them from autotrader?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Err I don't think so.
    I've had over 30 cars and bought just 1 of them from autotrader?
    No, what I'm saying is if he doesn't like what he finds on autotrader he isn't going to like anything. Obviously you can buy cars from plenty of places other than autotrader, but its a pretty good view of what you're going to get for your budget, and he isn't going to find anything different anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    No, what I'm saying is if he doesn't like what he finds on autotrader he isn't going to like anything. Obviously you can buy cars from plenty of places other than autotrader, but its a pretty good view of what you're going to get for your budget, and he isn't going to find anything different anywhere else.
    If you say so.
    Cars on autotrader tend to have very inflated prices. Therefore, the budget will go further than you think if you shop elsewhere.

But then, I only trade cars for a living. What do I know?

ReputationRep:

Completely disagree with this, and personally I've found cars on there are overpriced and out of line with the rest of the market.

OP, pistonheads has a classified section, you can also look in local papers, and ask around to see if anyone you know is looking to sell a car. Ebay generally sees motors go for less than average prices, but make sure you go and view the car before bidding. For your budget it's best to buy from a private seller as they will ask a lower price than a dealer, and for a under 2K car you wouldn't have much comeuppance if anything went wrong with it anyway. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    Completely disagree with this, and personally I've found cars on there are overpriced and out of line with the rest of the market.

OP, pistonheads has a classified section, you can also look in local papers, and ask around to see if anyone you know is looking to sell a car. Ebay generally sees motors go for less than average prices, but make sure you go and view the car before bidding. For your budget it's best to buy from a private seller as they will ask a lower price than a dealer, and for a under 2K car you wouldn't have much comeuppance if anything went wrong with it anyway. Hope that helps
    I'm sure there is the odd car that is probably more expensive, but I doubt the OP is looking for a particularly rare car. Surely as autotrader is the biggest classifieds of cars it represents the market best? I just think that if the OP is looking on there and thinking that everything is not what he wants he's probably not going to find anything in the real world either, because it will all be much the same.

ReputationRep:
    My car is nearly 12 years old still runs like a dream =) Only got 51k on the clock and it a VW so I'm expecting to have it for some years to come.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there is the odd car that is probably more expensive, but I doubt the OP is looking for a particularly rare car. Surely as autotrader is the biggest classifieds of cars it represents the market best? I just think that if the OP is looking on there and thinking that everything is not what he wants he's probably not going to find anything in the real world either, because it will all be much the same.
    No, I don't mean the odd car, the majority of cars on autotrader are overpriced compared with the rest of the market. I'm not talking about rare and exotic, I mean standard run of the mill vehicles.

It's only really the largest because it's the most well known and long established. I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't find what he wanted on there for a sub 2K budget, whereas elsewhere like pistonheads (where most of the users are car enthusiasts) he could buy a thoroughly decent car for that amount. Ebay would find him a car that would sell for less than market value, which if he had viewed it beforehand would be a really sound choice.

ReputationRep:
    I've got this months Black book sat infront of me now. Pretty much most things are over priced vs the book value!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.