Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im in year 11, predicted to get A*-C at GCSE in all my subjects (10)
    Can get about an 8 on a bleep test, so fit enough.
    I'm not fussed on A levels because I don't really enjoy school that well.

Ino that there are not any set qualifications to get into the police force but my friend is doing the 'public services BTEC level 3' and i told him that if he does that, then it would be a waste of 2 years in college because the police force is hard to get into but it is actually something id like to do aswel.

I just want to know what are the chances... is that a good qualificaton to have and would it increase with a qualification like that and by how much?
    Or is it just luck or something... thanks.

Please say if you are in the police etc.

ReputationRep:
    If your Catholic come to join the PSNI

They'll pretty much let you choose you own starting salary

ReputationRep:
    on a serious note, I'd do your A-levels, that way uni is an option if you change your mind.

If heard from a few rejected apps. from the fire service they want ppl with 'life experiences' so I'd get the A-levels, first aid with red cross, then some volunteer work with red cross. I'd be suprised if they turned you down with a CV like that.

ReputationRep:
    i'll suggest it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    If your Catholic come to join the PSNI

They'll pretty much let you choose you own starting salary
    I heard they're considering ending the 50:50 recruitment in PSNI in the near future...

(Original post by bestofyou)
    on a serious note, I'd do your A-levels, that way uni is an option if you change your mind.

If heard from a few rejected apps. from the fire service they want ppl with 'life experiences' so I'd get the A-levels, first aid with red cross, then some volunteer work with red cross. I'd be suprised if they turned you down with a CV like that.
    Excellent advice that is!

Also, if you wanted to join one of the above services full time, consider becoming a retained firefighter or a special constable (Look them up on wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Constabulary and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retained_firefighter, people confuse the roles often - a special constable is not a community support officer!), however despite you being able to do them at about 18, you'd be hard pushed until 20/21. Both of the above are becoming second careers with applicants often in the mid-late 20s or early 30s and often with degrees.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.