Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

Im 21, im a travelling virgin.

Between the end of college and the start of university id like to travel for a month.

My initial thought was to go to India, but two or three people have suggested that as a first time traveler, i might be better off doing SE Asia first.

So, id be going with my gf whos only travelled Europe. Between us we have around £5000 although ideally id like to do it as cheap as possible (within reason!)

Looking at a map, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia are all fairly close, is it realistic to travel these 5 countries in one month? Or would i be better off just staying in one or two countries?

What sort of route would i take through these countries? Whens the best time to book flights? Anywhere in particular that is a must see? Should i be using a gap year company or will i be ok to book things once i get out there?

Any help very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_v)
    Hi there.

Im 21, im a travelling virgin.

Between the end of college and the start of university id like to travel for a month.

My initial thought was to go to India, but two or three people have suggested that as a first time traveler, i might be better off doing SE Asia first.

So, id be going with my gf whos only travelled Europe. Between us we have around £5000 although ideally id like to do it as cheap as possible (within reason!)

Looking at a map, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia are all fairly close, is it realistic to travel these 5 countries in one month? Or would i be better off just staying in one or two countries?

What sort of route would i take through these countries? Whens the best time to book flights? Anywhere in particular that is a must see? Should i be using a gap year company or will i be ok to book things once i get out there?

Any help very much appreciated!
    India or SEA either will be fine, but as its summer and therefore monsoon throughout India, SEA may be a better option.

£5000 should be fine, and you will save a lot of money going as a couple too. Think £15 per day in Thailand, £5-10 in Cambodia and the same in Laos for accommodation, food and tourist sites. Plus some more for train travel and activities.

Seeing all those countries would be too much. You could possibly do Thailand, Laos and Cambodia in that time but it would be rushed. If you were to do this think 2 weeks Thailand 1 week Cambodia and 1 week in Laos. You could just spend a month in Thailand, there is plenty to see.

Book flights as early as possible, you can book everything yourself, you don't need a gap year company.

Check out this thread.

Places I liked in Thailand: Ayutthaya, Sukhothai, Bangkok, Phetchaburi, Phitsanulok, Ko Phi Phi. You need to see Angkor Watt in Cambodia, but I wouldn't bother with anywhere else on such a short time schedule.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply.

Seems like good advice, and that thread looks like it will be really useful.

Thanks

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.