Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by needsomehelp121)
    Who makes the decision? On my letter is says the name of a woman Ive never heard of and she is going to be there doing the disciplinary..

Im going to make all these points.

-I didnt realise or think I was stealing at the time, it was a genuine mistake
    -because it was just sweets, I didnt think much. I just thought no one would care if I have them becaus they were just sweets.
    -If they werent open, I wouldnt have had them
    -If half of them werent eaten I wouldnt have had them but because it was nearly finished, I thought lots of people must be eating these.
    - If they were in the write off box, I wouldnt have taken them but they were on the cabinet.
    -I genuinely made a mistake and my intention was not to steal, like I know theres cameras here and Ive worked here for nearly a year; If I thought Id get fired for taking that sweet, I honeslty wouldnt have taken it.
    - I work in the stockroom, if I wanted to steal, dont you think Id have been caught taking something.
    -I honestly, really and truly didnt think I was stealing at the time but I know there is no way I can prove that to you.

Can you guys add anything else I can say? And tell me if its worth not saying some of these points. LIke, does any of this sound stupid to say?
    I have no idea who makes the decision, sorry! We always ate broken stuff at work, again it probably broke official company rules but my boss was ok with it. I think the points you have are good though, it's the best you can do really.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Who makes the decision? On my letter is says the name of a woman Ive never heard of and she is going to be there doing the disciplinary..

Im going to make all these points.

-I didnt realise or think I was stealing at the time, it was a genuine mistake
    -because it was just sweets, I didnt think much. I just thought no one would care if I have them becaus they were just sweets.
    -If they werent open, I wouldnt have had them
    -If half of them werent eaten I wouldnt have had them but because it was nearly finished, I thought lots of people must be eating these.
    - If they were in the write off box, I wouldnt have taken them but they were on the cabinet.
    -I genuinely made a mistake and my intention was not to steal, like I know theres cameras here and Ive worked here for nearly a year; If I thought Id get fired for taking that sweet, I honeslty wouldnt have taken it.
    - I work in the stockroom, if I wanted to steal, dont you think Id have been caught taking something.
    -I honestly, really and truly didnt think I was stealing at the time but I know there is no way I can prove that to you.

Can you guys add anything else I can say? And tell me if its worth not saying some of these points. LIke, does any of this sound stupid to say?
    I think your "oh, it was just sweets" makes it worse. It makes you seem as though you don't care about low value items, so could easily do it again - next time it will be "oh, it was just socks!" and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I think your "oh, it was just sweets" makes it worse. It makes you seem as though you don't care about low value items, so could easily do it again - next time it will be "oh, it was just socks!" and so on.
    hmmm, true!

how about..

at the time I wasnt thinking straight and now I realise that it was stealing and i have been thinking about it alot the last few days but at that time, I just thought differently because it was sweets and I know that there is no way i can prove it to u but if it was a closed packet or it was placed somewhere else, I would not have touched them. I know now you cant trust me and because i took the sweets, you probably think I am likely to steal other stuff but I really and truly didnt intend to steal and if I realised that what I was doing was stealing at the time, then why would I take it when I know there are cameras in here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mBadAtMaths)
    Yer, I'm struggling to find words for how pathetic it is.
    I know a pilot who was disciplined for making some ground crew a cup of tea from the plane tea bags. Welcome to the world of the bureaucrat
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think you don't realise what you've done. You need to think about it and realise it was stealing. Don't try to make excuses - everything you have said makes me think you're dodgy! Just go in and apologise. If you blame a friend there's the obvious would you jump off a cliff scenario.

ReputationRep:
    Would just like to add to the topic that when I worked at McDonalds years ago now, someone got fired for taking a happy meal toy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    First of all, how is the bold bit relevant to anything?
    I spent ages trying to figure that out. OP's explanation (the sweets are write-offs, therefore explaining what write-offs are) makes sense ... but not without that extra information, there's nothing about it in the OP. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I didnt think we were allowed BUT I thought it would be ok. I literally just thought, "its just sweets"
    So actually, you did know it was wrong but thought that the value made it less of a crime? Where would you have drawn the line, out of interest?

You've been very vague about this - your OP made me think it was pathetic on behalf of the company, but now the truth begins to emerge I think you'd be lucky to get away with it to be honest. Hope you don't lose your job, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    So actually, you did know it was wrong but thought that the value made it less of a crime? Where would you have drawn the line, out of interest?

You've been very vague about this - your OP made me think it was pathetic on behalf of the company, but now the truth begins to emerge I think you'd be lucky to get away with it to be honest. Hope you don't lose your job, though.
    I wasnt being vague deliberately. I didnt want my OP to be too long because people may not read it. I thought it was quite clear.

This is exactly what happened.

My friend was eating sweets and said there are sweets in the office. I went in there and didnt see them. He came and showed me. I HONESTLY didnt think I was stealing for whatever reason/s. Probably because others were eating them and it was just sweets. I cant really explain. I took them and had ONE sweet. My other friends had one each. Some fell on the floor and we threw it in the bin.
    The rest I took back to the office because they were write offs so I thought they need to be in the office so the managers can write them off(but I did think it was ok for us to have some before they were written off).

Where would I have drawn the line? Well, exactly what I said. None of my points are a lie. Im probably not going to tell them about others eating them. For real, if it was anything else other than sweets I wouldnt have taken them. If the sweets were closed I would not have taken them. Even if it was a nail polish for one pound written off, i wouldnt have taken them but because it was sweets open on the cabinet I didnt think to myself, "is this stealing"

I realise I will most likely get fired and the thing thats making me so sad over it is that I truly didnt mean to steal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cszb44)
    the point about working in the stock room and 'wouldn't you have been caught earlier' rings alarm bells in my mind because the thing is, people do steal and for some people it's a career, it's how they make a living so obviously they manage to not get caught..

be honest with them, tell them that you didn't see it as stealing, if you had you wouldn't've done it, personally i'd say that you were told they were there.. you don't have to say who by.. you could even say you don't remember who told you but concealing it may just be a little missing detail that works against you.. and make sure you state that under no circumstances would you ever steal
    Good point! I wont say the stockroom bit. I cant bring myself to tell them someone told me though. They probably saw him showing it to me on the cameras. I dont want to get my friend in trouble as it really isnt his fault and he didnt tell me to take the sweets. He just told me they were there after I asked what he was eating. I know he would get into trouble and he is one of my only fiends from work so if he isnt already in trouble, I dont want to bring him to any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I think you don't realise what you've done. You need to think about it and realise it was stealing. Don't try to make excuses - everything you have said makes me think you're dodgy! Just go in and apologise. If you blame a friend there's the obvious would you jump off a cliff scenario.
    So do you think I should not say that I didnt think it was stealing? I will emphasise that I know NOW that what I did was wrong...
    But I really didnt think I was stealing! I think they've already made their decision. Im fired. Its today and Im so scared!

ReputationRep:
    I think they've already made their decision. Im fired. Its today and Im so scared!
    Well, you don't know that yet. It's fairly obvious they're taking this seriously (I know it was just sweets, but in their eyes you stole company property - maybe you were one thief too many? :dontknow:) ... but it's also fairly obvious you didn't do this maliciously, so go there as calm as you can and state your case.

Good luck, I really hope they don't sack you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you don't know that yet. It's fairly obvious they're taking this seriously (I know it was just sweets, but in their eyes you stole company property - maybe you were one thief too many? :dontknow:) ... but it's also fairly obvious you didn't do this maliciously, so go there as calm as you can and state your case.

Good luck, I really hope they don't sack you.
    Thank you
    I hope they see that too. Im not very good with explaining myself. Whenever I'd get in trouble at school, I'd look like I didnt care or Id have an awkward smile. I also waffle alot and say things too fast so I REALLY hope that today I dont mess up. I hope I even get a chance to explain myself.
    Thank you for everyones help. Ill let you all know what happens!
    Im so scared!

oh, and also...do you think I should offer to pay for the sweets or does that sound like Im taking the piss? Im worried it will translate as "your so tight, do you want the money for your precious sweets b1tches" kind of thing...

I dont want to say anything that will make me sound like I am not taking this seriously

ReputationRep:
    oh, and also...do you think I should offer to pay for the sweets or does that sound like Im taking the piss? Im worried it will translate as "your so tight, do you want the money for your precious sweets b1tches" kind of thing...
    Well, try not to say that.

Seriously, I think it's a tricky issue; it sounds good in theory, but it can very easily come off as 'how tight can you be?' or 'look, how generous am I? All bask in my philanthropism'. I think it would be best to leave it, but not argue in any way if they asked for it back (so no, "You want compensation for 50p? :rolleyes:" responses.)

When does it all kick off?

ReputationRep:
    Well, try not to say that.

Seriously, I think it's a tricky issue; it sounds good in theory, but it can very easily come off as 'how tight can you be?' or 'look, how generous am I? All bask in my philanthropism'. I think it would be best to leave it, but not argue in any way if they asked for it back (so no, "You want compensation for 50p? :rolleyes:" responses.)

When does it all kick off?
    Ohhh! So true! I didnt think of the bit in bold! I'll just leave it then. Thanks again!

Its at 6pm. Im going to be in the office where the people I work with come in and out of. I know everyone is going to talk about me and although on the letter it says that no one will know, I know everyone will find out. Another girl got caught stealing jeans. It wasnt even proven that she stole them but all the managers were talking about her and likewise all the shop workers. I regret having the sweets so much but whats done is done and I know myself that I didnt mean to be a thief.

I do wish I could have some one with me but its too late now and the person I want to take in with me is involved(whether the company know or not) so I'd rather not bring him down with me. I just feel so sad that this has happened

ReputationRep:
    You know what i think: they just want to get rid of you and your friend. Seriously, it was just a couple of sweets. So they're using this as an excuse.

ReputationRep:
    I need advice again!
    Do you guys think I should go to my disciplinary in my work uniform or my own clothes?
    Am I expected to wear my uniform? Or would they think why is this thief wearing our uniform like she is going to work here again?

ReputationRep:
    I need advice again!
    Do you guys think I should go to my disciplinary in my work uniform or my own clothes?
    Am I expected to wear my uniform? Or would they think why is this thief wearing our uniform like she is going to work here again?
    Go in smart clothes if you're not supposed to be working today. It's quite sly really.. Probably cost you more to get to work at their request than the sweets themselves...

ReputationRep:
    need replies about what to wear! Im leaving soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    Go in smart clothes if you're not supposed to be working today. It's quite sly really.. Probably cost you more to get to work at their request than the sweets themselves...
    Im supposed to be working! But they said dont come in for your normal shift which starts at 5, come at 6...

So...uniform or not uniform?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.