Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Oyster Card Help - Please watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I just topped up my Oyster card - and selected Heathrow Terminal 1 as my pick up station.

I was just an emailing detailing that "it will be waiting for you at your selected station."

What does this mean? Do I swipe it and it goes on automatically?

Thank you

(Also - please ignore my ignorance on this matter - I am from Northern Ireland sadly!)

ReputationRep:
    Hi Aw16
    The wording of the email is a bit confusing but yes you're not physically collecting anything, you just swipe it on the oyster reader and the little light will flash green which will mean it's activated and you're away

ReputationRep:
    You need to enter or leave Heathrow Terminal 1 station before credit will be applied.

ReputationRep:
    And swiping does not work at all. You have to place the card on the machine.

ReputationRep:
    get out of my country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tizmo)
    What do you mean by this?

(Original post by Tizmo)
    I'm pretty sure you can collect it from the ticket gate as you enter the station. You don't need to swipe it on the machine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    I'm pretty sure you can collect it from the ticket gate as you enter the station. You don't need to swipe it on the machine.
    You can, as I've done it before - I'm not sure what he mean't by that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    What do you mean by this?
    I have seen so many people try and swipe their oysters on the ticket gate and then they wonder why they get a red light. You have to place the card on the reader in order to get a green light.
    The ticket gate is what I was meaning

Why the hell did someone give me a negative rating for that post? I don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tizmo)
    I have seen so many people try and swipe their oysters on the ticket gate and then they wonder why they get a red light. You have to place the card on the reader in order to get a green light.

The ticket gate is what I was meaning

Why the hell did someone give me a negative rating for that post? I don't get it.
    How could you swipe an oyster card? There is no hole in which to swipe it through. Do you mean they wave it above the reader? Do you mean they try and put it in the hole where the ticket goes? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    How could you swipe an oyster card? There is no hole in which to swipe it through. Do you mean they wave it above the reader? Do you mean they try and put it in the whole where the ticket goes? :rofl:
    The part in bold. I have always thought that is what swiping means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tizmo)
    Card swiping

(Original post by Tizmo)
    That'll still work. Oyster cards are pretty sensitive. I had mine in my wallet with quite a few other cards and I can just wave that above the sensor and it still works.

You don't need to touch it on the reader just wave it in its general direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Card swiping
    Cheers.

That'll still work. Oyster cards are pretty sensitive. I had mine in my wallet with quite a few other cards and I can just wave that above the sensor and it still works.

You don't need to touch it on the reader just wave it in its general direction.
    I know that they are sensitive. I always keep mine in my wallet as well.

What is weird though that every time I try and wave the card in the direction of the read, it always beeps red for me, even when it's close. That is why I have always been placing my card on the reader.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.