Turn on thread page Beta

Is there anything wrong with dressing smartly? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if you judge people on what they wear. I tend to dress a bit smarter than most of the other people at uni. (Chinos instead of jeans, button down shirts rather than tees). I am not elitist or a snob but do you think people might view me like that?

Would like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Dressing smartly ftw

ReputationRep:
    :nah:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryshore)
    Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if you judge people on what they wear. I tend to dress a bit smarter than most of the other people at uni. (Chinos instead of jeans, button down shirts rather than tees). I am not elitist or a snob but do you think people might view me like that?

Would like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you in advance.
    I wear sports jackets and bow ties to uni...
    Seriously, it's not a problem (and shirts and chinos are hardly enough to stand out anyway...I know plenty of students who dress like that).

ReputationRep:
    I dress smartly at uni as well

ReputationRep:
    I know a fair amount of students who dress like that anyway.
    It's not really my thing, but I can't say a particular prejudice comes to mind.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your attitude, if you act like what you're wearing makes you better than someone in jeans then you have a problem, but if you just like to dress like that then chances are nobody will see it as a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    each to their own, i don't think there's anything wrong with it =]
    all that matters is that the person in the clothes likes them

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fine; you should wear what you feel comfortable in, rather than dressing to other people's specifications. I always, I suppose, dress slightly less casually than others, simply due to the fact I don't much like wearing jeans.

ReputationRep:
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with dressing smartly.

Nothing wrong at all. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, is it supposed to be wrong to dress smartly? I often dress fairly smart in my everyday life. However, when I can't be bothered I just wear a funny T shirt and jeans.

ReputationRep:
    Nope!

ReputationRep:
    There's appropriate and then there's inappropriate. You're probably teetering on the brink. I can see it being pulled off if you've got a reasonable sense of style, but it could easily go badly wrong if you haven't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still at school, so I can't comment on the uni front, but that's how I dress and nobody minds. Wouldn't be too bothered even if they did - I'm comfortable and don't get glared at by old women in the street

ReputationRep:
    I wear a suit to the Jobcentre :proud:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for confirming my feelings.

I never thought it was that much of an issue, it was just the odd 'Frownie Freddie' who seemed to think demin was the only material students are allowed to wear ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryshore)
    Thank you for confirming my feelings.

I never thought it was that much of an issue, it was just the odd 'Frownie Freddie' who seemed to think demin was the only material students are allowed to wear ...
    btw, cords >> chinos.

ReputationRep:
    OMG! Of course there's nothing wrong with dressing smartly.
    Although looks aren't everything, they certainly help! LOL
    For instane I study PR at Westminster and we always get these fancy cool people come in to lecture us...
    Whenever I see someone dressing really cool and smart, based purely on first impressions, I take them more seriously than if they don't look at smart , just one of those things.
    Just be you hun.

ReputationRep:
    Of course there's nothing wrong with dressing smartly, I have been known to wear bow ties myself.

ReputationRep:
    thats pretty much how I dress....and there is nothing wrong with it at all....

infact..all men should dress smartly

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.