Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Motorhead & Iron Maiden Advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey I wanted to download a few of Motorhead's and Iron Maiden's albums and thought there is likely to be mega fans on here ... or atleast fans

What albums would you recommend (upto 5 for each band ) as musts downloads as both band's have extensive catalogues someone new to there music I am a bit miffed.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    For Motörhead, it's probably best to start with No Sleep 'til Hammersmith (live album).
    After that, Overkill, Bomber and Ace of Spades are generally considered the "classic" albums, but their best songs are spread throughout their career (You'll miss I Got Mine, Orgasmatron, Going To Brazil, Burner, Sacrifice, We Are Motörhead and a host of other classics and live favourites that way).

I'm less well versed in Maiden (shameful), but you can't go wrong with Number of The Beast!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a Motorhead fan, but I can tell you a lot about Iron Maiden.

I recommend you start with Number Of The Beast, it is their most famous album and has a bunch of their most well known songs on it. Plus it's awesome. Also check out their other 80s albums, all are great. Piece of Mind, Somewhere in Time, Powerslave and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Get Brave New World too, easily the best of their post-80s albums.

ReputationRep:
    Iron Maiden - all 80's albums plus a matter of life and death.

Motorhead - all 00's albums as well as bomber and ace of spades.

I disagree with dragon, listen to all their 80's albums in chronological order so you can appreciate how they got better over time.

With motorhead I just love their modern stuff, but then again they are probably the most consistent band in metal

edit: just saw maximum of 5.

For Maiden: Iron Maiden, somewhere in time, powerslave, a matter of life and death and live after death

For Motorhead: Ace of Spades, Inferno, The world is yours, motorizer, no sleep till hammersmith.

Although I haven't heard everything by motorhead yet, I am working on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    Iron Maiden - all 80's albums plus a matter of life and death.

Motorhead - all 00's albums as well as bomber and ace of spades.

I disagree with dragon, listen to all their 80's albums in chronological order so you can appreciate how they got better over time.

With motorhead I just love their modern stuff, but then again they are probably the most consistent band in metal

edit: just saw maximum of 5.

For Maiden: Iron Maiden, somewhere in time, powerslave, a matter of life and death and live after death

For Motorhead: Ace of Spades, Inferno, The world is yours, kiss of death, no sleep till hammersmith.

Although I haven't heard everything by motorhead yet, I am working on it.
    THIS!
    And prepare to have your mind officially blown

UP THE IRONS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RequiemForADream)
    THIS!
    And prepare to have your mind officially blown

UP THE IRONS!
    I feel bad for not saying NOTB, but honestly compared to the others it's simply not as good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    I feel bad for not saying NOTB, but honestly compared to the others it's simply not as good
    IMO it's better than Somewhere in Time, but then again I don't like ranking albums much anyway...but my fav is probably Powerslave overall.

More importantly, why stick with 5 OP? You should hear all Maiden's albums to really appreciate their awesomeness!

ReputationRep:
    Nice one

Managed to download some of the recommended Motorhead albums sounding good , will check out IM in the next few days

Will send some Rep out !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rdizzle1)
    Nice one

Managed to download some of the recommended Motorhead albums sounding good , will check out IM in the next few days

Will send some Rep out !
    Motorhead are awesome, I find them quite underrated really compared to Judas Priest who aren't as good as a lot of other lesser known bands such as Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Samson and Rainbow (with Dio). Black sabbath are a must too, but they are well known

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon)
    I'm not a Motorhead fan, but I can tell you a lot about Iron Maiden.

I recommend you start with Number Of The Beast, it is their most famous album and has a bunch of their most well known songs on it. Plus it's awesome. Also check out their other 80s albums, all are great. Piece of Mind, Somewhere in Time, Powerslave and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Get Brave New World too, easily the best of their post-80s albums.
    I'd say pretty much spot on there!

I'd also have to say throw in a couple of live albums for good measure

I'm seeing them at the London O2 in August :woo:

I don't know much of Motorhead, but saw them supporting Foo Fighters at Hyde Park few years back, saw a bit of their set at Download last year, and will probably catch them again Sonisphere this year

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about Motorhead, but when it comes to Iron Maiden you can't beat Number of the Beast and Powerslave. Or Iron Maiden. Or Piece of Mind. Or Live After Death...

Actually, just stay clear of No Prayer for the Dying and The X Factor and you should be fine with any Maiden record, really.

ReputationRep:
    Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast, Powerslave, Piece of Mind, Brave New World

Motorhead - Inferno, Orgasmatron, *******s... or just get a Greatest Hits album, all their song are pretty much the same :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.