Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of terminology which I don't understand and after a long time searching on Google I still do not understand what these words mean:

Pragmatics
    Cataphoric reference
    Anaphoric reference
    Narrative hook
    Digressions
    (Subtle) parallels
    Enigmatic reference
    Eponymous reference

Positive rep if you can explain these to me coherently because I feel dumb.

ReputationRep:
    ask teacher

ReputationRep:
    thesaurus.com

....will do a better than anyone on here

ReputationRep:
    Pragmatics is how context affects meaning. If I say 'you're hot' it could mean any number of things, it's the context of the situation that tells you whether I mean you're attractive or you're on a roll or you've caught fire.

Cataphoric references are something which only makes sense when you read further. Like 'as he went into the kitchen, Bobby decided he wanted tea'.

Anaphoric references reference backwards, like 'Bobby went into the kitchen. He wanted tea.'

Narrative hooks are just when you start a book or a chapter or whatever with something that makes the reader sit up and get interested in what's happening. Like if you start a book with 'I wiped the semen off my face' obviously you're going to be interested in why this mystery character has semen on their face.

Digressions are passages which move away from the established plot, like if you have written a book about a whale and then just write an aside about toast or whatever, you're digressing.

Parallels are similarities between situations in a text.

I ain't sure about enigmatic and eponymous reference though. Enigmatic would imply a mysterious reference, maybe a reference to something which is revealed later and an eponymous reference refers to something the reader already knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superstar6318)
    I have a lot of terminology which I don't understand and after a long time searching on Google I still do not understand what these words mean:

Pragmatics
    Cataphoric reference
    Anaphoric reference
    Narrative hook
    Digressions
    (Subtle) parallels
    Enigmatic reference
    Eponymous reference

Positive rep if you can explain these to me coherently because I feel dumb.
    Something pragmatic is something practical, but there is also a branch of linguistics called pragmatics which I THINK focuses on how language is used in particular contexts, so basically the relationship between language and the environment, the way in which context Contributes to meaning. For example, if we had the context of the words you want us to define, we would be able go help you better.
    Anaphoric reference is again a linguistics term, it's a reference to a word or sentence that precedes the one where the reference is made. Cataphoric reference is the opposite, reference to something that will follow in the sentence.
    Narrative hook is something found in the beginning of a story, an impressive event or sentence that aims to catch the reader s attention.

ReputationRep:
    yerp, asking your teacher will be better

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.